Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Most liberal Senators:

Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)
Roland Burris (D-Illinois)
Ben Cardin (D-Maryland)
Jack Reed (D-Rhode Island)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island)

Most conservative Senators:

James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma)
Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina)
Jim Bunning (R-Kentucky)
Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma)
Jim Risch (R-Idaho)

Most liberal House members:

Rush Holt (D-New Jersey)
Gwen Moore (D-Wisconsin)
John Olver (D-Massachusetts)
Linda Sanchez (D-California)
Jan Schakowsky (D-Illinois)

Most conservative House members:

Trent Franks (R-Arizona)
Doug Lamborn (R-Colorado)
Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas)
Pete Olson (R-Texas)
John Shadegg (R-Arizona)

And right in the middle:

Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas)
Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-North Dakota)
Rep. Michael Arcuri (D-New York)

The Most Conservative and Most Liberal Members of Congress - Peter Roff (usnews.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
I gotta move out of Illinois. Thankfully Burris isn't running this fall and Mark Kirk (R) is likely to take his place.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Frank Luntz did a town hall meeting with an audience comprised of 1/2 Obama voters and 1/2 McCain voters and had them watch the health care debates taking place yesterday. He gave them all those dial mechanisms to register either agreement or disagreement with the various speakers throughout the day. He said that his findings showed that there was a huge partisan divide with the republicans dialing it up when a republican spoke and the democrats dialing it up when a democrat or Obama spoke. The ONLY person that registered highly with BOTH parties was Tom Coburn (R). He asked his audience why and came to the conclusion that he was the one with the least partisan message while still making very valid points that struck home with both parties.

I need to see if I can find on youtube the parts where Coburn addressed the committee to see exactly what he said as I don't recall offhand. Anyways, I thought that was interesting, especially since your list has him as one of the most conservative members of the Senate.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The ONLY person that registered highly with BOTH parties was Tom Coburn (R). He asked his audience why and came to the conclusion that he was the one with the least partisan message while still making very valid points that struck home with both parties.

I need to see if I can find on youtube the parts where Coburn addressed the committee to see exactly what he said as I don't recall offhand. Anyways, I thought that was interesting, especially since your list has him as one of the most conservative members of the Senate.
It was probably when Coburn talked about health insurance fraud. Obama agreed with him. This article describes the exchange:

Sen. Tom Coburn discusses cost containment at the White House health summit - washingtonpost.com

I've seen other stories that suggest Obama and Coburn get along quite well. They even gave each other a "man hug" while the cameras were focused on them. I doubt most of the other Republicans were hugging Obama.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I gotta move out of Illinois. Thankfully Burris isn't running this fall and Mark Kirk (R) is likely to take his place.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Frank Luntz did a town hall meeting with an audience comprised of 1/2 Obama voters and 1/2 McCain voters and had them watch the health care debates taking place yesterday. He gave them all those dial mechanisms to register either agreement or disagreement with the various speakers throughout the day. He said that his findings showed that there was a huge partisan divide with the republicans dialing it up when a republican spoke and the democrats dialing it up when a democrat or Obama spoke. The ONLY person that registered highly with BOTH parties was Tom Coburn (R). He asked his audience why and came to the conclusion that he was the one with the least partisan message while still making very valid points that struck home with both parties.

Do you really see a Republican winning in Illinois right now?

If you can find the Youtube clip that would be interesting.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Do you really see a Republican winning in Illinois right now?

If you can find the Youtube clip that would be interesting.
Yes, I think that Mark Kirk has an excellent chance. He's a very moderate republican, hardly a right winger. I think that the disgust for the all the past corruption in this state especially with Blagojevich has tipped the tide in our state.

Dangit, I can't find the Luntz clip. He was on Cavuto's Your World when he was talking about his findings. In this clip of Luntz (during his dial session), he talked about high ratings when Eric Cantor (R) was speaking. Dialing Into Health Care Debate - FOXNews.com Maybe I confused Coburn with Cantor. This is going to bug me now. I wish I could find the Cavuto - Luntz interview!!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,371 times
Default Test, just a test

Hello. And Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies