Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

The guaranteed would always be at the poorest level. Prices would adjust to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM

26 posts, read 47,825 times
Hmmm look how quick the middle class is disappearing and it's a great idea to get rid of the unions! They are what made this great country and everyone is saying get rid of them they are the problem! WOW greed will kill or create emotional suicide! if you enjoy your weekend thank Organized labor!! Or do you have to work it all the time for pennies and rob your family for that precious time?? What is important here? We need to stand up to all that created this unemployment and that is big corporations along with Washington -- they are greed!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
There will be jobs in robotics, and there will be "green" jobs over the next 30 years. Those will be the newest, that I can think of, off hand.

Robotics is easy to understand. There will be increases in computing power, which will lead to the probable first artificial intelligence created by humans.

The "green" jobs is much wider. We have some green jobs today, planting trees after deforestation, wind mills, solar panels, etc. However, every company wants to seem "green" so they'll be hirining their own workers, to find out how they can be more environmentally friendly. This will increase the number of solar, wind, and natrual gas installations. Could spawn a whole new technology, who knows.

Those are the new jobs of the future. Unless you have a strong will to succeed, and a college degree, you might as well get ready for a service industry job.

Manufacturing, is dead. If the chinese don't take your manufacturing job, a robot will. Its that simple over the next 30 years, as I see it.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 PM

297 posts, read 899,122 times
^ lol I totally agree. Although the robotics will create employment opportunities for engineers and computer scientists, in the process it will displace many many workers for whom the robots will be competing against.

Robots will make society more efficient, production and services less expensive, but overall it will slice even more jobs. I am 50-50 on the issue of robots (as I am wanting to be a computer scientist, but do not want to see my fellow citizens lose their jobs). However, it is always better, unfortunately, to be the lion than the gazelle.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 PM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No reread the post the point was that what it took to end the great depression.
No that's not true. We had a horrible economy during the war. We "lowered" unemployment by sending people off to be killed. It wasn't until after the war that the economy recovered.

"I lowered my unemployment by just shooting everyone." -FDR

Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
No that's not true. We had a horrible economy during the war. We "lowered" unemployment by sending people off to be killed. It wasn't until after the war that the economy recovered.

"I lowered my unemployment by just shooting everyone." -FDR
The revisionist history about FDR, the depression and how the War "brought us out of the depression", is amazing. I guess it is the old story that if you repeat something enough people believe it.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 AM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The revisionist history about FDR, the depression and how the War "brought us out of the depression", is amazing. I guess it is the old story that if you repeat something enough people believe it.
Couldn't agree with you more. I've spent a great deal of time reading economic journals published during the 30s and it's quite amazing how a lot of Hoover's/FDR's failed economic policies were left out of history books (like burning crop fields while vast amounts of the population were starving). Speaking of Hoover, he was the biggest INTERVENTIONIST of all, yet history books would have us believe he was laissez-faire, BS.

Ironically, the people who saw the bubble forming during the late 20s have all been stricken from the history books and we are now left with Keynes. Who, similar to the MSNBC pundits of today, saw no end in sight to the growth created by the lax policies of the US fed before the crash. The parallels to today's crisis are uncanny.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM

297 posts, read 899,122 times
Are there any long-term benefits of this current unemployment/recession?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Are there any long-term benefits of this current unemployment/recession?
If we can destroy a large percentage of the debt, get spending under control, learn to grow the economy without debt, then yes. If not, we are screwed.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM

206 posts, read 416,461 times
China is leaping ahead even in green jobs. By 2020, it is estimated that China will get more power(as a % of total) from green sources than the US.

The one thing that can help is if the dollar crashes and equals the Indian rupee and Chinese Yuan. Then we can compete head to head. But the govts don't seem to care and I know quite a few people with graduate degrees forced to work in malls. Nothing wrong with that-except you still have a ton of student loans and that is not why you wen't to college for.

In today's market, where many jobs can be done in any country, it is looking very tough for us. But looking at history, no country/empire has ever stood the test of time to be number one for ever. Wether that be China, India, Egypt, Rome, Britain etc. Only thing is no one knows where we are in history!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies