Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Problem is that even in this day and age, it's extremely rare that we can be 100% sure. The fact that people are still being executed or put on death row for things they haven't done is proof of that.

Please name one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Firstly, I think you ought to update yourself on how Angola is run these days, I brought it up as an example to follow, reading your post, I doubt you agree.

Why shouldn't we try and rehabilitate killers, rapists, armed robbers, child molesters and alike?

If they do get rehabilitated, don't you think they live with the knowledge of what they've done? To many, prison, no matter how bad, isn't nearly as harsh as the sentence they put upon themselves.

That however, is not really essential though, in my opinion.

What's better? Paying (if you were to try your method) large salaries to prison guards trying to control an angry aggressive prison population (treat people like animals and they'll eventually respond like animals, but I doubt we're talking about sheep here), costing the population massive amounts of money, or keep them contained fro much less (fewer guards, bc of less disobedience) and actually have a percentage come out and contribute to society afterwards, paying back a minor bit of what they've cost us, many who's rehabilitated also end up paying back in many other ways, through programs to stop kids out of controls, and programs aimed to help ease the transition back into society, for released convicts, reducing the fall back percentage, amongst other things.

And how do we "teach" our younger generations that violence is wrong and not the answer when our response to violent crime is to impose the same act of cruelty onto them?

Problem is that even in this day and age, it's extremely rare that we can be 100% sure. The fact that people are still being executed or put on death row for things they haven't done is proof of that.

my guess is, it hasn't happened in the past 5 years or so..I don't know nor do you, but it would be extremely rare anyone would be given the death penalty today that wasn't guilty..In fact I doubt it would happen. We are not talking even 10 years ago, we are talking today!!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM

301 posts, read 282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Please name one.
Frank Lee Smith

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM

301 posts, read 282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my guess is, it hasn't happened in the past 5 years or so..I don't know nor do you, but it would be extremely rare anyone would be given the death penalty today that wasn't guilty..In fact I doubt it would happen. We are not talking even 10 years ago, we are talking today!!!!
You do realize that DNA is not available or evidence in EVERY murder case, don't you?Also, have you ever thought about the quality of the defendant's attorney in every murder case? Do you think all attorneys who represent defendants in murder trials are competent, let alone at the top of their field as criminal defense attorneys? Have you ever heard of Ineffective Assistance of Counsel? Yes, mistakes are being made even today in 2010 in murder trials. Our justice system is imperfect, so why would you expect a perfectly correct result in every murder trial?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Please name one.
John Ballard, acquitted in 2006 for crimes he was convicted of in 2003.
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d.../sc03-1012.pdf

Herman Lindsey convicted in 2006, conviction overturned in 2009

That's two fairly recent ones, not that these cases take a long time to surface, most of the ones that have been recently overturned happened in the 80's and early to mid 90's, don't expect to see current cases (2008 and newer) until 2012 at the earliest.

There's a delay of such in the proof of wrongful convictions simply because it takes so long to overturn them, so asking for anything newer than 2006 is pushing it.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 PM

297 posts, read 519,787 times
If we got rid of the death penalty and made the most severe sentence, life in prison without parole, I wonder how long it would be before people would be complaining about life without parole? I'm on the fence right now regarding the death penalty. I'm starting to feel like LWOP is a better sentence...think about it. 25-year-old kills someone and is sentenced to Death Row. 10 years later, they are executed so they spent 10 years in prison. But if they are sentenced to LWOP, and die at age 80, then they'll spend 55 years in prison. But you always hear about those cases where a murderer is sick in prison and some people are yelling for them to release them so they can die at home. If we use LWOP as the most severe sentence, we have to stick with it.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If you're 90% sure that the defendant is guilty the state has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
A "reasonable doubt" does not mean no doubt. It means "reasonable". Some cases of murder rely on things like forensic evidence and/or the testimony of less than stellar citizens. For example the case of Scott Peterson was one in which the jury found him guilty largely on the basis of forensic evidence that was not 100% certain and the testimony of others, none of who witnessed him killing his wife Lacie or dumping her body in the bay. But the fact that her hair strands were found in his boat and he had an on going affair and motive was enough to convict him of killing her. That is a case where I am 90% sure he is guilty and I would have found him as such. But I would never have went along with giving him a death sentence. Not on the basis of the case against him. On the other hand we have Brian Nickolls who jumped up in a courtroom full of people and shot a cop, a judge and a court reporter dead. That is a case of where there is NO doubt as to his guilt and I would have voted to hang him for it and slept well after doing so.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
If we got rid of the death penalty and made the most severe sentence, life in prison without parole, I wonder how long it would be before people would be complaining about life without parole? I'm on the fence right now regarding the death penalty. I'm starting to feel like LWOP is a better sentence...think about it. 25-year-old kills someone and is sentenced to Death Row. 10 years later, they are executed so they spent 10 years in prison. But if they are sentenced to LWOP, and die at age 80, then they'll spend 55 years in prison. But you always hear about those cases where a murderer is sick in prison and some people are yelling for them to release them so they can die at home. If we use LWOP as the most severe sentence, we have to stick with it.
Actually LWOP means that person will be in custody for the rest of their life. The prison system is much like the workplace- if you do what you are told and act right, you get "promoted" to better prisons and eventually end up in minimum security prisons which are much more like college dorms than prisons. As people get older they tend to be less prone to violence and crime. It does not really serve society in most cases to keep 80 year olds in prison. By about 55 or 60, most prisoners could be released without much danger of them being out. Of course there are exceptions- such as Charlie Manson who should probably not ever be let out.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 PM

297 posts, read 519,787 times
Quote:
By about 55 or 60, most prisoners could be released without much danger of them being out. Of course there are exceptions- such as Charlie Manson who should probably not ever be let out.
I don't care if they're 55 or 60; I don't want murderers and rapists roaming the streets. And I am not just talking about Charles Manson, who murdered multiple people, if someone rapes and murders one person, I don't see how they're not a danger when they're 55 or 60. You're more than capable of committing a crime at that age. David Westerfield, who murdered 7-year-old Danielle Van Dam, is 58. Sorry, I don't want him out of the streets and I have a hard time seeing how he's not a danger because of his age. Also, the system is not very good at accessing what prisoners aren't a danger to the general population. What happens if this 55-year-old commits another murder when they're released? Oops sorry. Also, if they live to be 80, that's 45 years they get to live freely. That doesn't seem like much of a punishment to me.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,923 times
Quote:
John Ballard, acquitted in 2006 for crimes he was convicted of in 2003.
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d.../sc03-1012.pdf

Herman Lindsey convicted in 2006, conviction overturned in 2009

That's two fairly recent ones, not that these cases take a long time to surface, most of the ones that have been recently overturned happened in the 80's and early to mid 90's, don't expect to see current cases (2008 and newer) until 2012 at the earliest.

There's a delay of such in the proof of wrongful convictions simply because it takes so long to overturn them, so asking for anything newer than 2006 is pushing it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking for the name of an innocent person who was executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies