Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking for the name of an innocent person who was executed.
Not many completely innocent were executed. Sometime it's a matter of an accomplice being blamed for pulling a trigger when it was actually his pal that carried out the deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,310,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking for the name of an innocent person who was executed.
There haven't been any recent cases where they've been proven, in the courts and had the ruling overturned, post mortem, there's been cases where more than reasonable doubt has been raised, but they haven't gotten it to court, etc. It goes to what I said in my previous post, it takes time to get this all through the judicial system, and once someone's dead, it's often only the family that'll keep fighting, support groups, lawyers and such move on to someone who's still alive, that they can save.

Another problem in many cases of this nature, including people wrongfully put in jail, is that the prosecutors often times will fight their release every step of the way, not necessarily because they think the conviction was right, but they don't want to be proven wrong. There's a good reason for that behavior, when it's proven that the judicial system is not to be trusted, it has a huge impact on their approval and credibility amongst the population. Sadly, sometimes they'll deny someone their right to a new day in court, simply to save face.

But sorry if I wasn't clear, in the part of my post you quoted, I said innocent people on death row or people who'd been executed.
Personally I think it's far worse that any innocent man is sent to jail at all, than having a killer walk free, in fact, I'd say it's a sign of a healthy judicial system, when a killer does walk, from time to time. We don't need to like it, but we should be proud that we follow a system what we think we know isn't the deciding factor, but what we can prove.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
You do realize that DNA is not available or evidence in EVERY murder case, don't you?Also, have you ever thought about the quality of the defendant's attorney in every murder case? Do you think all attorneys who represent defendants in murder trials are competent, let alone at the top of their field as criminal defense attorneys? Have you ever heard of Ineffective Assistance of Counsel? Yes, mistakes are being made even today in 2010 in murder trials. Our justice system is imperfect, so why would you expect a perfectly correct result in every murder trial?
of course, that is why I have said, often, only should the death sentence be given in cases where the evidence in overwelming and the crime is beyound belief..

Nita

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
If we got rid of the death penalty and made the most severe sentence, life in prison without parole, I wonder how long it would be before people would be complaining about life without parole? I'm on the fence right now regarding the death penalty. I'm starting to feel like LWOP is a better sentence...think about it. 25-year-old kills someone and is sentenced to Death Row. 10 years later, they are executed so they spent 10 years in prison. But if they are sentenced to LWOP, and die at age 80, then they'll spend 55 years in prison. But you always hear about those cases where a murderer is sick in prison and some people are yelling for them to release them so they can die at home. If we use LWOP as the most severe sentence, we have to stick with it.
of course many people would find a way to claim even life in prison is wrong plus there is no way anyone can be assured a person will not get out of prison..I don't care what some say, there are always slip ups and escapes..

Nita

Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,932,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course, that is why I have said, often, only should the death sentence be given in cases where the evidence in overwelming and the crime is beyound belief..

Nita

Isn't that what is needed for a conviction anyway?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,900,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The death penalty should be maintained for the most heinous crimes in which we are 100% certain of guilt. If I were on a jury, I would never give a death penalty to somebody unless I was 100% sure of guilt (no doubt). I could find them guilty if I were 90% sure (reasonable doubt).
There are people who deserve the death penalty. Another thing I would like to see is a return to public executions- preferably hangings- so it could serve as a deterrent.
I've been against it for decades.

For the worst offenders the death penalty gives mercy to those facing 50 years in a SuperMax. Many go insane ending up smearing feces on walls to get some sort of stimulus out of life.

For stranger rape it is even worse with the innocence project estimating 30% of those convicted who continue to voice their innocence are innocent.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,206,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I've been against it for decades.

For the worst offenders the death penalty gives mercy to those facing 50 years in a SuperMax. Many go insane ending up smearing feces on walls to get some sort of stimulus out of life.

For stranger rape it is even worse with the innocence project estimating 30% of those convicted who continue to voice their innocence are innocent.
I agree seems that life in a supermax without the possibilty of parole is a more severe punshiment then laying them on a table and putting them to sleep like a loyal dog

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,232,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The death penalty should be maintained for the most heinous crimes in which we are 100% certain of guilt. If I were on a jury, I would never give a death penalty to somebody unless I was 100% sure of guilt (no doubt). I could find them guilty if I were 90% sure (reasonable doubt).
There are people who deserve the death penalty. Another thing I would like to see is a return to public executions- preferably hangings- so it could serve as a deterrent.
Do we really want to become Saudi Arabia? Human rights in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2018, 04:07 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,638,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
As a person who was for the death penalty for many years, I've been rethinking about this for reasons such as this.
Someone rep'ed me today on this post.

Wow, 8 years later and as a conservative I've leaned more to the left on this. Especially with more people being freed with better DNA testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies