Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

I see so many relocation threads that I decided to try ( again ) an "ethnic " thread...
If we keep it within the TOS & polite,then we will learn the truth about each ethnic group in Mia...
Who they like & why,who they dislike etc...
Remember,stereotypres=solid impressions,we care so that the impression is true or false,if it is positive we endorse it,if it is negative but true,we try to fix it...

A thread that needs sensitive comments...

Let's have them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
We already had this same exact discussion about ethnicity in Miami in a thread you created a couple of months ago, and as always, it turned ugly and was closed by the moderators.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Actually no,it was exhausted & closed, I try to revive it,perhaps avoiding some nasty comments ,by 1 particular person...

Now I see that it is moved to Politics...

Anyway,let's see if it survives,through quality comments...
Maybe we can have pan-american opinions,not only from Miamians...

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I'm white, most of my friends are latino .. i learned spanish.. there are no problems. not much more to say.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm white, most of my friends are latino .. i learned spanish.. there are no problems. not much more to say.
"White" is not an ethnicity or culture; it's a color and sub-set of the Caucasian race. "Latino" is the opposite - it is certainly not a race, is a culture, and is arguably an ethnicity. Also, every American-raised "Latino" speaks English fluently; no need to learn Spanish to communicate with them. Same goes for the Latin Americans whom you know that have come to this country to study at UM. Many people of Latin culture who were raised in this country also identify with mainstream Anglo-American culture, as do I. Many people of Latin culture whom I knew grewing up in South Florida identify much more with mainstream Anglo-American culture than they do with Latin culture; some of them have never been to real Latin countries and only have experience living in the United States. The real cultural differences in Miami are those between Americans and the recently-arrived immigrants, not between "Latinos" and "Anglos" in general.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Always helpful...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Publicly or Privately?

Publicly everyone is in love with each other, The Cuban love their Puerto Rican, Columbia, and Central American brothers and sisters... oh yeah we love the Haitians that the American blacks too.

Privately... it ain't pretty.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Privately,but...within the TOS...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity or culture; it's a color and sub-set of the Caucasian race. "Latino" is the opposite - it is certainly not a race, is a culture, and is arguably an ethnicity.
What we call "race" in America contains ethnicity and culture to a large extent. A mix of diverse ones that is.

Let's take African-American for example. There is definitely an African-American culture, it's not uniform, but there are certain traits that are unmistakably Black, and unlike what is often suggested, those traits are not necessarily negative.
One of the manifestations of the African-American race/ethnicity/culture is their speech. Granted, most do code-switching, and some just don't seem to have it at all, but there is a speech cadence/pattern/accent that is unmistakably Black. It often surfaces in certain situations or moments even among Blacks who otherwise speak a pretty neutral American accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Black speech cadence

"He's a very bidialectal person and most black people are. He is especially good at it, though, in that he can talk in a way where you would not know that he was black over the phone, and that is not true of most black Americans where there are issues of cadence and vowels and coloring where you can tell even if they're using completely standard English in terms of sentence structure." -Prof. McWhorter
Here's an interesting video. Listen to how..
-Adriea pronounces "100% Black and proud"
-Tyra says "Well let me tell you how ..." starting from 6:29 (by 6:40 she returns to a General American accent)
Also notice her gesture at 6:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
The de facto fourfold classification of race prevalent in America today (Asian, Black, Latino, and White) is a simplification. We all know that. One thing for sure: Each one lumps very diverse peoples together into a so called race. Being snow white doesn't mean you have to be White in America. There are snow white people who are Black or Asian. I don't see why it should be a surprise that there are snow white people who are Latino.

What many people don't know is that the notion of race in American context is much more than just about skin color. In fact it's often more about culture & ethnicity. That is why a snow white person can still be 100% Black in America.

So you have (simplified):
Black: AA culture/ethnicity with its history going back to slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights Movement + the diverse cultures/ethnicities of the relatively new immigrants.
Asian: Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean, Vietnamese, Pakistani, Filipino, etc. Each with its own diversity not only culturally but also physically.
Latino: Argentinian, Chilean, Brazilian, Colombian, Cuban, Mexican, Nicaraguan, etc. Each with its own diversity.
White: White American + the diverse cultures/ethnicities of the newer immigrants.

We don't call "White (American)" an ethnicity or culture because it's the majority, the mainstream, the "normalcy" if you will. But basically what we call "race" in America encompasses culture & ethnicity to a great extent.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 PM

301 posts, read 282,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Publicly or Privately?

Publicly everyone is in love with each other, The Cuban love their Puerto Rican, Columbia, and Central American brothers and sisters... oh yeah we love the Haitians that the American blacks too.

Privately... it ain't pretty.
Indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies