Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
As Black people, we need to look "within" for our solutions and stop asking for "permission" from anyone else to do what is best to improve the lives of Black children/families/people in America.

This reminds of something that I have always thought about regarding "our people". Whenever I see old photos of Black people prior to (or during) the Civil Rights movement - they were always dressed very nicely even if they are just sitting around the house, on the porch in the country or going to the grocery store or shoe shopping, etc.

What my parents and grandparents have explained to me about that is the following....people used to dress with pride, women's hair beautifully coiffed and wearing dresses with stockings and pumps, men in suits with ties and hat, etc....Black people were concerned with always putting their best foot forward.

Also, there was agreater sense of unity and community because we had to have it to survive. So that meant that people were networking and making certain that they recommended family and friends for job openings. They helped each other to purchase real estate. They would give generous support to neighbors who were in need. Neighbors would discipline each others children and those children would respect their elders.

Wealthy Blacks lived next to middle class Blacks and they lived near poor Blacks - and the divisions amongst the classes were not as great. So the child of a poor Black family could readily see in their neighborhood (and perosnally know) the wealthy Black doctor or business person.

We had to depend on each other. We had to help one another. Each one would teach one.

One of the sad unintended consequences of the Civil Rights movement has been the true loss of community. We need to fight to get that back. The internal class conflict amongst Black Americans has been extremely detrimental and that needs to change in order for "us" to progress as we truly should as a community.
Great post. I think the same could be said, sans the last paragraph, of the early southern Italian and Irish immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...but we sure as hell don't like any organization or program that tries to achieve those goals?

Blacks (ever notice that it is never black PEOPLE?) need to go to get an education so they can get a job and stop blaming the white man!

But the National Negro College Fund is Racist for trying to do that.

Black need to get over feeling like victims, get some self-esteem and join the rest of society!

But that Black History Month is racist because it promotes black self-esteem and teaches blacks that they have contributed in many positive ways to the history of this country!

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his "proper place" and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary."
-- Dr. Carter G. Woodson, "TheMiseducation of the Negro"

Dr. Carter Woodson, Founder of Black History Month* -- Courtesy of The Freeman Institute

Blacks need to stop their criminal behavior, unwed pregnancies and other behaviors that keep them in poverty.

That's why we decry organizations like the NAACP for their racist attempts to... stop teen pregnancy, black on black crime (who are the vast majority of black crime victims), and annually honors those African Americans who have lived exemplary lives in the hopes that other African Americans might emulate them.

Blacks need to stop rioting and protesting in the street, you need to join the system!

But that Congressional Black Caucus is Racist because they get together inside the system and try to promote the interest of black folks!

Lawd Almighty, I'll be damned if it don't make a colored man's head spin!

Generally, I avoid the black.... threads for the very reasons that I've pointed out above, with a little touch of schadenfreude ( I now that's a mighty pretension word for an old colored man, but ole Ezra Cornell thought negroes were worth educating). The comments are verbatum and they might be a bit exaggerated but I think that point is pretty much right on the money.
Some of the points you listed here is why I believe Black conservatives that team up with Republicans are foolish.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You need to change the title of your thread to "We want people living on welfare to................". I wonder why people always want to play the race card.
Agreed...most people on welfare are white.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
I must live in an alternate universe. When I hear people say..."I just wish black people stop whining about slavery and discrimination", I ask myself "where are all these black folk complaining and whinning"?

I hear tons of people constantly complaining about black folk, but hear so few actual black folk complaining.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
The truth is powerful and will overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies