Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,195 times

Advertisements

Has Machine defined the question / topic yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
"Are Strict Gun Laws the Answer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just wodering. Do you think it will reduce violence? Will it make us safer?"

Unless I'm not analyzing this correctly, the above are the topic and questions.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,464 times
Thumbs up Another good point, my comarade in clear thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
As usual, you get to this gist of the matter and your points are valid and well stated. However, my point is that gun control is not going to save lives. There will not be LESS guns available, there will simply be more expensive guns available until the cottage industry builds as any market will with more competition bringing prices down. The only way it can be stopped is with a police state. Again, I’m not going to lay out how it's done, but it’s not a difficult process and anybody can do it. Stopping such a cottage industry will be a war far larger than the “war on drugs” and much more expensive. It simply can’t be done.

The people who expect to save lives by gun control have their hearts in the right place but their minds in never-never land.
First of all, I think "home-made" firearms would cause a huge reduction in crime, as idiot after idiot blew themselves up with poorly calibrated and/or weak chamber strength pistols. Sure, most would be fine, but I think the occasional "accident" would deter quite a few. The good ones would need facilities large enough to make capture at least a reasonable possibility.

I agree though... any law that makes people "safer" by restricting freedoms works like Chemo-therapy. You poison everyone for the *chance* to get the bad guys. Frequently it doesn't even work.

Gun control laws to not have to focus exclusively on the purchase of a gun. Making possessing a gun a (on your person or in your vehicle) while committing a crime a stiff crime in and of itself might help. Making parole officers do their "parole visits" at the parolee's house (so they can "accidentally" see more parole violations like drugs and weapons) could get the bad apples thrown back in jail sooner.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
"Are Strict Gun Laws the Answer?
No, they're the problem. Just look at cities, states and countries who have enacted strict gun laws. Just look at Washington DC crime statistics.

Are strict gun laws the answer?

No, and I'll sum this up very plain and simple: gun laws are an oxymoron and totally un-Constitutional.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
All strict gun laws do is take the guns out of law abiding citizens.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
All strict gun laws do is take the guns out of law abiding citizens.
Exactly!!! Laws do not prevent crime, they are there to punish the scoflaw after the fact. Most criminals do not purchase and/or "own" firearms legally to start with. The answer, if there is one, is to enforce, strictly, the laws already on the books.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Machine,

Thank you for encouraging a right proper discussion. Your heart is in the right place.

IMHO strict gun laws do not equate to lower crime. I believe in this country that you must trust your citizens or change your form of government to something less democratic. Part of this is the right to keep and bear arms.

As a retired cop, I can tell you that TIME after TIME after TIME we saw people victimized who would not have been had they owned a firearm AND been willing/able and trained to use it.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Wrong guy!

Shen,

I didn't post what you quoted I did in your post. I was answering another poster's question. I'm against any further gun laws than we now have.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Not just a knock-off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
First of all, I think "home-made" firearms would cause a huge reduction in crime, as idiot after idiot blew themselves up with poorly calibrated and/or weak chamber strength pistols. Sure, most would be fine, but I think the occasional "accident" would deter quite a few. The good ones would need facilities large enough to make capture at least a reasonable possibility.

I agree though... any law that makes people "safer" by restricting freedoms works like Chemo-therapy. You poison everyone for the *chance* to get the bad guys. Frequently it doesn't even work.

Gun control laws to not have to focus exclusively on the purchase of a gun. Making possessing a gun a (on your person or in your vehicle) while committing a crime a stiff crime in and of itself might help. Making parole officers do their "parole visits" at the parolee's house (so they can "accidentally" see more parole violations like drugs and weapons) could get the bad apples thrown back in jail sooner.
I’m not suggesting this cottage industry will produce guns such as the “home-made” variety to which you allude. I’m referring to exact duplications of existing firearms, many of them made better than current manufacturers’ methods because price won’t be an object in a market created by banning certain firearms, say hand guns for example.

Secondly, a large facility is NOT required to make guns. In fact, NO facility is required. I can’t bring myself to be specific about how this is done, I just don’t feel right about it, even though I know it’s not rocket science and that there may be many reading this thread who understand what I’m suggesting. The only difference in the guns might be the shape of the frame in handguns, and what criminal (or person who wanted a gun for protection but will be an outlaw for having one if it’s banned) cares about the shape or weight.

Your last points are those with which I agree. Much better enforcement of common-sense laws that now exist will be the best deterrent to crimes with guns, but SECOND in effectiveness to people being armed and TRAINED in the use of said arms. In my humble opinion, of course.

Last edited by happyappy; 06-02-2007 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: add wording

Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
......People are killed and injured by guns in one of two ways: Criminal violence or accidents........
Third way, the law abiding defending themselves, their families or their property . Every month the National Rifleman has multiple news articles (with references) of these occurrences. I've been reading that mag for over 30 years. That's a whole lot of self defense stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies