Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
I'm just wodering. Do you think it will reduce violence? Will it make us safer?
while posting on any of my threads

No Trolling ,No out of control aguments ,Stay On Topic
Obsence Langurage is not allowed.
I ask for polite discussions

Respect other opinions

You can post opposing viewpoint as long as it doesn't get out of control.

you can disagree but stay calm.

All opinions are welcome. Again I repeat stay calm

If you see anybody trolling, getting out of control etc on one of my posts please send me a private massage.

I urge all members to follow these rules so my threads will stay open. I did not come up with these rules. It's the terms of service for the city data forum.

Thanks for your cooperation
Just a note that all members have access to the TOS. (Terms of Service). There is no need to post them in the threads. If there are problems you can always report a post to a Moderator, that is what we're here for.

Happy Discussing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 04:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Theoretically I favor strong gun control laws, but you have to take a look at the distribution process and the inconsistent state enforcement of checking backgrounds for gun buyers.

As a result of the reality of the situation, and the distribution of existing guns, I favor solid background checks and licensing of guns, but very little restrictions on purchases. I agree that folks with priors shouldn't be able to purchase, but at some operational level folks with guns are a deterrent to the bad guys.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
California has a bill on the floor to do a background check and fingerprint people that want to buy ammunition. They don't do it for purchasing the firearm, but they want to do it to the ammo.

I wonder what this is going to accomplish. I think it's just back dooring other stricter gun laws that wouldn't pass.

Does anybody think this will do anything good?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Third way, the law abiding defending themselves, their families or their property . Every month the National Rifleman has multiple news articles (with references) of these occurrences. I've been reading that mag for over 30 years. That's a whole lot of self defense stories.
Sunday morning at about 5am Wayne has a tv show where they go over those and actually interview the people.

I know how people want to sleep in on weekends, but I get up for that one.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Default Give me back my bullets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
California has a bill on the floor to do a background check and fingerprint people that want to buy ammunition. They don't do it for purchasing the firearm, but they want to do it to the ammo.

I wonder what this is going to accomplish. I think it's just back dooring other stricter gun laws that wouldn't pass.

Does anybody think this will do anything good?
In my opinion, it's more difficult to make ammunition in secret than guns. But, even ammunition controls will fail eventually. It's only more difficult to make ammunition NOW because there are no such controls as of yet, and there's no need to begin a new industry for source of supply.

I've written elsewhere about a nightmare scenario in which militias are called up by the US government and put under the control of corporations who bid the HIGHEST rather than the lowest, and then those corporations demand purchase of stock, fees, dues, etc. from the populace. Those who decide against joining the militia are permitted to bear arms--just no ammunition.

California's bill is obviously a long way from such a thing, but controls of this type are going to help build a different cottage industry. America isn't the place for gun controls--or ammunition controls.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 AM

270 posts, read 570,672 times
Default ..........

i think any politician who promotes gun bans is an idiot....the agressor will break into your home,have the intent of shooting anyone present,but will repent before any of this happens beacause he would be breaking the law,by possesing the gun,yeah right,only people who obey gun laws are honest citizens.....can you say sitting ducks......plus most of these criminals are just that criminals,with felonies so its already illegal for them to carry weapons anyways....but from a politicians standpoint,theyre not trying to solve the problem,just make it look like they are hence the gun laws...

Old 08-25-2007, 03:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,454 times
Hi, Machine, are you the same Machine I know from other Sites?

Anyway, it is said that Gun Control will lead to a Cottage Industry, but now there's no need for that:

-CNC machnines make it a lot easier, just build the Receivers, and buy the gun barrels!

Go to the bottom of this page,

The Home Made CNC Machine

, and you'll see a desktop CNC made of... Plumbing material!

...And can you imagine what it will be if, or when, some Mad Inventor, I know a few, heh, heh, gets away with inventing some kinda feasible Ray Gun?

What will the idiot Politicians do? Ban garage manufacturing? Post a Fed on every house?

Last edited by Edgar; 08-25-2007 at 04:32 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,454 times
And what about finishing?

Mujahadeen AR-15

Finish a Receiver with... ONLY HAND TOOLS!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

But I do think law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms. Outlawing guns altogether is only going to disarm a lot of potential victims.
I agree.
But what about the mindset of some of the people who have (and use) guns?
An Accounting of Daily Gun Deaths
A beastly kind of cruelty
Studies suggest that youths who engage in animal cruelty often commit violent criminal behavior as adults. Among those who preyed on animals before turning on people were mass killers Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy and Albert DeSalvo, the Boston Strangler.
"high fence" hunting
Canned Hunting
I accept the fact that many Americans love their guns, just as we seem to love our automobiles. I respect ethical hunters, as well.
But our country's love of firearms sure does bring a lot of baggage with it.
I do not know what the answer is, though I do wish for some sort of intervention with young people who misuse guns.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Forget about gun control in America. This isn’t the country to try that in. It will never work—ever.

It’s pure waste of effort anyway. Anyone watching this thread who has any machining experience or better yet machining and CAD/CAM experience, or any estimator for a manufacturer or fabricator, or anyone with part inspection experience, and many others, can reverse engineer any gun—ANY gun, and make them and sell them. There are no secrets to it, though I don’t intend to lay it all out. These folks know what I’m talking about.

There are many thousands of people in the populace who would dearly love to see major gun control in America, but not because they believe it will help reduce crime, but because it will open up the market for the rapid growth of an enormous cottage industry with outrageous profit margins. That cottage industry is very small now because guns have not been banned or tightly controlled.

IF there are any Democrats out there after 9-11 who still believe in gun control, they are in a miniscule minority. And Democrats better forget about gun control for good if they expect to have a place long-term as a political force. Believe or not, there are still millions of people who will vote for Republicans NO MATTER HOW BAD THEIR POLICIES ARE FOR AMERICA if they think there is even the slightest probability that Democrats will seek gun control measures should they attain office. Ridiculous but nonetheless true.

I’m voting Democrat for a long while it would appear. But I don’t count on the Republican Party to sit by and not clean up its act. Democrats, on a long-term basis, should not count on winning positions based on how bad the other Party is doing. The gun control issue has no place in America; it will never succeed without a police state. Fascists use that method and Communists use that method. It ain’t got no place here!
the top Dems in charge don't take your POV though.One reason that the Repub party is better is that they are somewhat more 2nd amendment friendly.Yes there are conservative Dems pro 2nd amendment but they do not become president as the Dem party is geared more toward liberal special interests,one being the Brady org.,Moveon org,and other various anti 2nd amendment organizations who are only bitting their tonque till they have friendly politicians in place again who will further their agenda and the current leading Dem nominees all fit that mold.Some current Repub nominees do also.

If you vote Clinton,Obama or Gulliani you vote for gun control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies