Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
How's this for a strict gun law:

Everyone is required to own at least one gun.

Might make criminal types think twice.
Lots of people own a gun. Criminals sneak in and steal their guns. Why? Because they don't put their guns in places where they can't be stolen!! Check out the Florida stolen gun stats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am not in favor of government regulation of gun possesion or ownership. Regulation will only lead to defenseless people and eventuall tyranny.

I do belive in gun control. This, to me, is defined as - the judgment to select a ligitimate target and the skill to hit it with the first shot.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
One gun law I would like to see:

If you own the gun and it is stolen, you are responsible for what happens with it.

The main reason why I support this is because many gun owners don't take gun ownership responsiblity. If you own a gun, you need to be responsible for it.
Does that mean that you also want it so if your car is stolen, you are responsible for what happens with it?

It's not a bad thought, it would deter people from leaving guns laying within easy access, but now it's getting into 3rd generation crime. If a gun store is broke into, the owner could be held responsible for several robberies, murders and what not from gang members?

The laws ensure that you reasonably try to store firearms so that they can't be stolen.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not believe the former owner of a firearm is in any way resopnsible for how the firearm is used. That is the sole responsibility of the user. The person pulling the trigger is solely responsible for what ever the bullet does.

Gun ownership is not the problem. Gun theft is not the problem.

/shouting on/

CRIMINAL USE OF FIREARMS IS THE PROBLEM.

/shouting off/

It is that simple.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
[quote=Machine;812414]I'm just wodering. Do you think it will reduce violence? Will it make us safer?
while posting on any of my threads

No Trolling ,No out of control aguments ,Stay On Topic
Obsence Langurage is not allowed.
I ask for polite discussions

Respect other opinions

You can post opposing viewpoint as long as it doesn't get out of control.

you can disagree but stay calm.

All opinions are welcome. Again I repeat stay calm

If you see anybody trolling, getting out of control etc on one of my posts please send me a private massage.

I urge all members to follow these rules so my threads will stay open. I did not come up with these rules. It's the terms of service for the city data forum.

Maybe the criminals will follow the laws..........and if you believe that, well you know the rest.............

Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not believe the former owner of a firearm is in any way resopnsible for how the firearm is used. That is the sole responsibility of the user. The person pulling the trigger is solely responsible for what ever the bullet does.

Gun ownership is not the problem. Gun theft is not the problem.

/shouting on/

CRIMINAL USE OF FIREARMS IS THE PROBLEM.

/shouting off/

It is that simple.
And the criminal is going to get the gun no matter what laws are passed, if you really want to cut crime then make the punishment fit the crime.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If I lived in Texas, I'd definitely want to be armed, since the state's murder rate is above the national average. I wouldn't be able to feel any measure of safety otherwise.
Huh?

I've lived in Texas for 17 years without owning a gun. I've never felt the need to have a gun. Most of the people I know here don't have guns. I don't know anyone who has been murdered here.

If you're a typical American then you're probably killing yourself with your diet, lack of exercise, driving habits and occasional reckless behavior in risky situations. Murder is extremely over-rated as a cause of death. It's high within certain subcultures, but it doesn't affect the average citizen except on very rare occasions. Look up the stats on how many people are killed by car accidents, falls, heart disease, colon and breast cancer, lung cancer --- compared all that to murder, and you'll see that your need to feel safe by owning a gun is a strange fantasy born of the imaginations of people who don't understand statistics and probability. Being shot is sensational, so you pay attention to it. But you'll probably die of heart disease or cancer. A gun won't help you in that case.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Huh?

I've lived in Texas for 17 years without owning a gun. I've never felt the need to have a gun. Most of the people I know here don't have guns. I don't know anyone who has been murdered here.

If you're a typical American then you're probably killing yourself with your diet, lack of exercise, driving habits and occasional reckless behavior in risky situations. Murder is extremely over-rated as a cause of death. It's high within certain subcultures, but it doesn't affect the average citizen except on very rare occasions. Look up the stats on how many people are killed by car accidents, falls, heart disease, colon and breast cancer, lung cancer --- compared all that to murder, and you'll see that your need to feel safe by owning a gun is a strange fantasy born of the imaginations of people who don't understand statistics and probability. Being shot is sensational, so you pay attention to it. But you'll probably die of heart disease or cancer. A gun won't help you in that case.
All true. You can also show the statistics showing that the chances of you or a member of your family getting accidently shot or committing suicide with the gun you purchase for protection are higher than the chances of actually using that gun against a criminal.

I am resigned to the fact everybody today can buy a gun like buying a hamburger. It is irritating when you get the posts though that the Columbine killers, etc. would have carried out their carnage anyway using some other method. Bows and arrows perhaps?

I understand the rationale that underground hoods with connections can get guns no matter what, but I have a harder time buying the idea that deranged high school or college kids would be able to pull it off, without law enforcement finding out at some point.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
One gun law I would like to see:

If you own the gun and it is stolen, you are responsible for what happens with it.

The main reason why I support this is because many gun owners don't take gun ownership responsiblity. If you own a gun, you need to be responsible for it.

UB50. U B wrong. I trust you were being facetious in typing that.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
OK, let me get this right? If I own a gun and some scumbag breaks into my locked house , and steals my gun, and kills somebody with it, I'm responsible? Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies