Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM

428 posts, read 344,263 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT/off topic]

I got interested in this a few months ago, and kept track of the news articles on NPR in the morning whilst having coffee and attempting to wake up. I kept a kind of log about the general topic of each several minute segment for a couple of weeks.

It isn't so much that it's a creature of the Left, but it's remarkable how few things they actually talk about, other than the occasional huge event like a solar flare destroying China or the discovery of aliens.

Basically, practically every (not all, but darned near) story finds a group that feels put upon...

Raped women in college.
Black people being shot by non-black people and/or police.
Women who don't get ahead in business for some reason or the other.
Raped women in the military.
Illegal aliens who don't get to go to college.
Women who didn't get ahead in the military after they were raped
...you get the idea.

My point is that it's not all the thoughts of the Left, but a handful of group complaints that are typically associated to the Left that are their main focus.

It's probably just best to get an internet radio and listen to the BBC. They're as bolshie as you can get, but do a much better job with less of the social justice warrior angle.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-22-2015 at 05:09 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
[MOD CUT/off topic]

I got interested in this a few months ago, and kept track of the news articles on NPR in the morning whilst having coffee and attempting to wake up. I kept a kind of log about the general topic of each several minute segment for a couple of weeks.

It isn't so much that it's a creature of the Left, but it's remarkable how few things they actually talk about, other than the occasional huge event like a solar flare destroying China or the discovery of aliens.

Basically, practically every (not all, but darned near) story finds a group that feels put upon...

Raped women in college.
...you get the idea.

My point is that it's not all the thoughts of the Left, but a handful of group complaints that are typically associated to the Left that are their main focus.

It's probably just best to get an internet radio and listen to the BBC. They're as bolshie as you can get, but do a much better job with less of the social justice warrior angle.
That is just taking a small segment of their programming an generalizing, you are completely ignoring their reporting on business, technology, science, politics. I guess you are going to see what you want to see.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-22-2015 at 05:09 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is just taking a small segment of their programming an generalizing, you are completely ignoring their reporting on business, technology, science, politics. I guess you are going to see what you want to see.

[MOD CUT/off topic]
That's what I heard every morning, it's pretty remarkable and quite obvious in terms of the programming.

What do they play at 10:00PM, I have no idea.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-22-2015 at 05:10 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
This one's easy. If it's not FOX, am talk radio, or a select few "freedom" blogs, it's all "left wing biased."

Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This one's easy. If it's not FOX, am talk radio, or a select few "freedom" blogs, it's all "left wing biased."
And if it's not left-leaning, it's not a "real" news station, correct?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Raped women in college.
...you get the idea.

That's exactly what I have been saying. Their bias is in what they choose to report on and who they choose to have on their programs. The choose issues that appeal to liberals.

You don't have to tell lies to be biased. You don't have to tell lies to sway people toward your agenda. But NPR is not alone in this. All news outlets choose what to report on and that reflects their bias. The difference with NPR is that they get some of our tax dollars to do it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-22-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Much better that corporate interests are the only ones handling political dialogue in the media. Right?????

NPR funding is a mixed bag.

To conclude that they are in any way independent of the businesses and individuals that contribute the bulk of their financing isn`t supported by the facts.

Why do many conservatives think NPR is left wing biased?-npr2.jpg

Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?

For the same reasons I think that the sky is blue.

I actually like NPR, but it is OBVIOUSLY and COMPLETELY LEFT WING. I am sorry,but the fact that you do not appreciate that fact suggests that you are standing far left- in which case everything is relatively conservative to you (including NPR).

Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's exactly what I have been saying. Their bias is in what they choose to report on and who they choose to have on their programs. The choose issues that appeal to liberals.

You don't have to tell lies to be biased. You don't have to tell lies to sway people toward your agenda. But NPR is not alone in this. All news outlets choose what to report on and that reflects their bias. The difference with NPR is that they get some of our tax dollars to do it.
I don't doubt that they are viewed as unbiased by some people because they (pretty much always) avoid outright editorial comments in their programming. If you view victim programming as interesting rather than a bit grating, it's never noticed as being a rather one sided exercise. Strike that...it's one sided programming about highly specialized but rather inconsequential issues.

I admit that their shows involving say, food, don't have a belief system spin to them, so how you view the NPR stations probably is heavily dependent on the time of day you do your listening.

With radio being on it's last legs, rather sad really, it's hard to get my knickers in a twist about all of this. There's a bundle of alternative things to listen to during coffee. My highest hope is to put together a jillion podcast lectures and throw them onto some kind of media server, it isn't like you learn much from modern 'news' shows anyhow.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Yep; the firing of Juan Williams showed just now bias and liberal they truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies