Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Idling laws for big trucks have been a fact of life for years in many places.

While it is good for the environment, I suppose, it's not too good for the drivers because that idling engine is what operates the heater and air conditioner.

True story: I was sitting in my truck in Minneapolis one cold winter day waiting for a business to open. It was still dark and below zero outside. A cop pulled up and told me I'd have to shut the engine off.

What would you have done? Shut it off and freeze?

I refused and told him to go ahead and arrest me if he'd like. I preferred jail to sitting in that truck for another couple of hours freezing my azz off. He didn't.
LOL. Up on the oil fields in the extreme arctic, vehicles of all sizes are left idling for days, even weeks at a time. Even here in Anchorage people leave their cars running while in the mall shopping, or start them remotely to let them warm up for 15-20 minutes before leaving for work in the morning.

Thank god there are still pockets of freedom and liberty left on this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
LOL. Up on the oil fields in the extreme arctic, vehicles of all sizes are left idling for days, even weeks at a time. Even here in Anchorage people leave their cars running while in the mall shopping, or start them remotely to let them warm up for 15-20 minutes before leaving for work in the morning.

Thank god there are still pockets of freedom and liberty left on this planet.
There is a very practical reason for leaving an engine running in sub-zero temperatures, I can't think of one when it comes to other areas of the country.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So you dont want freedom?
I, for one, quite like being free to breathe air that isn't filled with other people's partly-combusted fuel.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...I can't think of one when it comes to other areas of the country.
I can - letting an individual decide how to run his own affairs or what to do with his own personal property.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I, for one, quite like being free to breathe air that isn't filled with other people's partly-combusted fuel.
Most areas in the country require the use of blended, oxygenated gasoline now so that type of pollution has been greatly reduced, even from older vehicles.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I like freedom. I also hate when my neighbor used to idle, and rev, his huge truck engine every morning for 30 minutes or so. We live in the Bay Area, there were never weather issues, he just liked the sound of it and would often sit in it drinking coffee. I didn't like the sound of it, especially at 4am. For me it was never a "green" issue, just an annoying one. I doubt laws can protect me from idiots though.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-02-2010 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Once again, be careful about what jokes you tell about liberal climate whackos. It won't be long before they are DOING what you joked about... and in all seriousness!

Remember the Super Bowl commercial about a farcical environmental "Green Police" force, busting people for putting orange rinds in the wrong place, asking for plastic instead of paper, etc.? It was hilarious, and became one of the most enjoyed commercials in a game noteworthy for its well-done, humorous ads.

Someone in England apparently decided it was an instruction manual instead of a joke. And being in the government, he actually had the power to DO it... and did!

Coming soon to a national Congress near you! If you keep voting for whacko extremists like the ones in there now.

---------------------------------------

Anger as drivers face fine for leaving engine running while parked | Mail Online

Drivers face fine for leaving engines running while parked... because it harms environment

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:18 PM on 02nd March 2010

Drivers who leave their car engines running while their car is parked face being fined as part of a new town hall initiative.

North Lincolnshire Council will issue £20 tickets to ‘irresponsible drivers who are not considering the environment’. They say it will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions and tackle climate change.

Other councils across Britain are also considering introducing similar laws after being set air quality targets by ministers in Whitehall.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Wow. I better watch out. I rev the engine of my 600HP 1969 dodge at stop lights just to add more CO2 to the atmosphere. Is this a bad thing?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, goodness!!

That great bastion of liberalism Maricopa County, AZ has idle laws and fines!!

2008 Idle Laws by State
I had a feeling your post will be ignored, the reality that it has been illegal for a while in many areas within the USA to leave vehicles idling.

And the law has been in place for more reasons than just environmental. Besides, it is foolish to have overextended idling. I've never idled my cars for more than 30 seconds after a cold start. It is the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I can - letting an individual decide how to run his own affairs or what to do with his own personal property.
If it is about air, it is NOT your personal property.We become communists when it comes to air and water.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is illegal to idle for more than three minutes in New Jersey. Big fines too.
Truth!

2008 Idle Laws by State
How do they enforce that in gridlocked traffic? I bet they're idling for more than three minutes.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I like freedom. I also hate when my neighbor used to idle, and rev, his huge truck engine every morning for 30 minutes or so. We live in the Bay Area, there were never weather issues, he just liked the sound of it and would often sit in it drinking coffee. I didn't like the sound of it, especially at 4am. For me it was never a "green" issue, just an annoying one. I doubt laws can protect me from idiots though.
I'm in Southern Calif, and i agree with you. Can't be protected from the too many idiots who drive period, and yes there are some who idle their cars, unnecessary for no reason at all, except to hear the reved up sound. way too many idiots to be protected from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies