Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Anybody seen a pattern that has developed in Hollywood over the last 10 to 15 years? It seems that it a black actor or actress can even sniff and Oscar win, they must play some demeaning or horrific role. Never some noble character...........

Denzel in Training Day

Halle Berry getting her brains boinked out in Monster's Ball.

And now Monique who plays a torturing ghetto mother who does horrific things to her child.

I know some will say, "Oh hear we go again with race". But how is it that so many blacks never gett the good roles or when they do, hardly get nominated until they get these types of horrific characters.

I though it was changing when Foxx won for Ray. But it seems to have gone back again.

YouTube - Black Men in America- PT.6 Acting White/Movies/Music/News

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,356 times
Well, with Denzel, he was typecast as the good guy, so doing something different in Training Day was so impressive. Halle Berry got stuck in some bad movies over the years, so maybe a good movie did her justice.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,502 times
I personally don't care what type of character they play, if it's good they deserve a nomination.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Anybody seen a pattern that has developed in Hollywood over the last 10 to 15 years? It seems that it a black actor or actress can even sniff and Oscar win, they must play some demeaning or horrific role. Never some noble character...........

Denzel in Training Day

And now Monique who plays a torturing ghetto mother who does horrific things to her child.

I know some will say, "Oh hear we go again with race". But how is it that so many blacks never gett the good roles or when they do, hardly get nominated until they get these types of horrific characters.

I though it was changing when Foxx won for Ray. But it seems to have gone back again.
In the last 15 years can you recall a Black movie or actor who portrayed a character unlike the ones mentioned above who deserved an Oscar nomination? I ask because maybe with there being a smaller number of Black roles and movies we've had fewer Blacks in Oscar calibar movies and roles to pick from.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
In the last 15 years can you recall a Black movie or actor who portrayed a character unlike the ones mentioned above who deserved an Oscar nomination? I ask because maybe with there being a smaller number of Black roles and movies we've had fewer Blacks in Oscar calibar movies and roles to pick from.

That's a possibility. Did you see the movie "Ray"??

The woman who played his young mother was out of this world! Where is she now??

Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
basically this is it. how many movies out there feature blacks in Oscar worthy roles? Tyler Perry movies are the few movies out there that have mostly black casts, but none are truly Oscar worthy. what other roles are out there? frankly, I'm grateful that there ARE blacks being nominated for Oscars

Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
It's hard to cast a black person playing a noble character in a film, because the realism would be hard to fathom.

Oh snap!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
basically this is it. how many movies out there feature blacks in Oscar worthy roles? Tyler Perry movies are the few movies out there that have mostly black casts, but none are truly Oscar worthy. what other roles are out there? frankly, I'm grateful that there ARE blacks being nominated for Oscars

I agree.

Hollywood is a tough nut to crack for anyone. There will always be only a few who reach the top. The matter of race is difficult to fit into this.

Things havent changed or "gone back" to anything as alluded by the OP though. It is what it is and sometimes horiffic characters leave an impression that joe-everyman doesn't. Hence, the nominations.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
there are few good roles/movies that are character driven in hollywood to start with. add to that most are now computer generated action packed or exploitation films aimed for the youth market.

there have been incredible roles played by black actors in the past.
A color purple comes to mind straight away. cadillac records was full of outstanding acting. especially from the actors jeffrey wright and eamonn walker. jeffrey wright again in W was amazing. morgan freeman I have never seen in a negative role. will smith always plays the hero. the oscars overlook many great actors, that list is long

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

Denzel in Training Day

YouTube - Black Men in America- PT.6 Acting White/Movies/Music/News

[+] Rate this post positively
Right. And you slept in spelling class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies