Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That is simply not true. I have crossed keyboards with you on numerous ocassion and one thing I can say is you're not stupid. But the statement you made concerning dangerous chemical in the e=cig compounds must be based on ignorance as there is no basis of truth to the statements you make. Better come armed with the facts of the matter as I certainly am.

Yes, As I stated in my post, I'll probably never give up the hand to mouth addiction but in the long run with an e-cig it is harmless and frankly I'm too old to give a crap anymore I've been stuffing my face for 50 years.
One thing for sure, I've given up all the chemicals in cigarettes and I've cut my nicotine intake down to the equivilant of 4 cigarettes a day from an average of a pack and a half.

To give you credit where credit is due, yes I have replaced one addiction for another. E-cigs work well for some to quit cigarettes and then leave e-cigs alone after the fact. But for many such as I, The psychological addiction of hand to mouth is too ingrained after many decades to quit. We e-cig advocates have found that many, if not most users can quit nicotine addiction with the devices but most do not kick the hand to mouth if they've been smoking for more than 25-30 years.

Yes, I have replaced one addiction for another. one is extremely nasty, smelly, unhealthy, self defeating and will definately be the cause of your death while the other addiction fills that constant craving with no ill side effects. Facts are there have been no unbiased medical studies that show any harm in the ingredients that are contained in e-cigs.
This is from 2009:

WASHINGTON — Federal health officials said Wednesday they have found cancer-causing ingredients in electronic cigarettes, despite manufacturers' claims the products are safer than tobacco cigarettes.
The Food and Drug Administration said testing of products from two leading electronic cigarette makers turned up several toxic chemicals, including a key ingredient in antifreeze...

E-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals, FDA says - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

What difference does it make at our age? We'll soon die from something anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Why of course its not. why would it be taken personally? I am just emphasizing a main thrust of my post. I would not want to give anyone a reason to go crying to the playground supervisor.
Yes...of course not.

That's alright. I won't go crying to the playground supervisor and ruin my spotless record. One old, hard-headed know-it-all isn't worth it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes...of course not.

That's alright. I won't go crying to the playground supervisor and ruin my spotless record. One old, hard-headed know-it-all isn't worth it.
Good to see some self reflection and inner searching in your post. First step to recovery from any addiction like smoking.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
That is absolutely correct. Life long pack a day plus smokers are chemically addicted and habitually addicted to smoking. Quiting cold turkey for any length of time will produce withdrawal symptoms in everyone. Some more intense that others. Anyone who disputes this is either lying or doesn't know what they are talking about. No need for links as smoking is one of the most heavily researched drug additions of the last 100 years. Info is all over the Internet for your reading pleasure.
the addiction is intense, full of denial as any other addiction. it may be easier for one person to "ignore' the symptoms of withdrawal than others but there is no doubt that one does have to detox to get that crud out of your system and your mind. people may start out smoking because they want to, they continue smoking because they have to. being "smart" will never overcome an addiction so entrenched as smoking cigs. it takes education about the addiction and efforts from numerous fronts to be successful. it can be done for sure but obviously it is so difficult many quit numerous times and some are never able to make it stick

Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
This is from 2009:

WASHINGTON — Federal health officials said Wednesday they have found cancer-causing ingredients in electronic cigarettes, despite manufacturers' claims the products are safer than tobacco cigarettes.
The Food and Drug Administration said testing of products from two leading electronic cigarette makers turned up several toxic chemicals, including a key ingredient in antifreeze...

E-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals, FDA says - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com
Does anyone believe the FDA is interested in protecting anyone's health?

Quite the opposite, I believe.

"Now the same anti-tobacco enterprise that has spent billions demonizing the pleasure of smoking is providing additional reasons to smoke. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Tourette's Syndrome, even schizophrenia and cocaine addiction are disorders that are alleviated by tobacco. Add in the still inconclusive indication that tobacco helps to prevent colon and prostate cancer and the endorsement for smoking tobacco by the medical establishment is good news for smokers and non-smokers alike. Of course the revelation that tobacco is good for you is ruined by the pharmaceutical industry's plan to substitute the natural and relatively inexpensive tobacco plant with their overpriced and ineffective nicotine substitutions. Still, when all is said and done, the positive revelations regarding tobacco are very good reasons indeed to keep lighting those cigarettes."

If it weren't for cigarettes, I would be experiencing intermittent bouts of not cussing.

FORCES - THE EVIDENCE - Therapeutic effects of smoking

Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Does anyone believe the FDA is interested in protecting anyone's health?

Quite the opposite, I believe.

"Now the same anti-tobacco enterprise that has spent billions demonizing the pleasure of smoking is providing additional reasons to smoke. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Tourette's Syndrome, even schizophrenia and cocaine addiction are disorders that are alleviated by tobacco. Add in the still inconclusive indication that tobacco helps to prevent colon and prostate cancer and the endorsement for smoking tobacco by the medical establishment is good news for smokers and non-smokers alike. Of course the revelation that tobacco is good for you is ruined by the pharmaceutical industry's plan to substitute the natural and relatively inexpensive tobacco plant with their overpriced and ineffective nicotine substitutions. Still, when all is said and done, the positive revelations regarding tobacco are very good reasons indeed to keep lighting those cigarettes."

If it weren't for cigarettes, I would be experiencing intermittent bouts of not cussing.

FORCES - THE EVIDENCE - Therapeutic effects of smoking
....and I am sure most smokers suffer from one of those ailments, and intake tobacco through relatively less-harmful pipes and snus rather than through worst-possible-intake-method cigarettes, right?

right?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
....and I am sure most smokers suffer from one of those ailments, and intake tobacco through relatively less-harmful pipes and snus rather than through worst-possible-intake-method cigarettes, right?

right?
Me?

I'd rather cigarette papers weren't bleached, and no additives . . but . . you can't beat the right time - right place efficacy of a rette.

Pipe smokers are hopelessly incompetent through their bunglingly idiotically ceremony.

Here, try some dopamine . .

YouTube - Spencer Davis Group - 'Gimme Some Lovin' Stereo Music Video

Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
This is from 2009:

What difference does it make at our age? We'll soon die from something anyhow.
The e-cig community is very aware of that one report. It is biased and full of misinformation. The two cancer causing agents were present in only two samples of hundreds taken. The levels were so miniscule as to be almost non existant. The FDA was not able to replicate the results in further tests.
Yes, The vaporizing agent is used in anti freeze and is PG or propelyne glycol. Propelyne glycol is a common medium for delivering medically precribed inhalents in respatory patients. It is used as the basic ingredient in stage fog machines and in medical room foggers. It is commonly used as a binding agent in thousands of food products such as hershey's chocolate, etc. It is used in antifreeze to LESSEN the poison in it as animals find anti freeze attractive. The poison in anti freeze is ethyl glycol and will kill you if injested. Propelyne glycol is consumed by almost everyone, every day in one form or another. It is a common food additive. The other form of agent is VG. Many of the bottles are labeled Kosher for food use.
It is our contention that the main objective of the FDA is to work in conjunction with the tobacco industry to regulate and tax the e-cig industry. Thier motivation is government control and tax revenue not to mention the enormous profit for the tobacco companies if they can market e-cigs rather than tobacco cigs. The reduced overhead would be enormous.
At present I will restate that there is no comprehensive, unbiased study that proves the ingredients in e-cigs are harmful. There are on the other hand numerous studies that show the product to be harmless if used as directed.
As a final thought, I hope you're not making the case that e-cig ingredients are the same as injesting tobacco smoke. That would be a very stupid and uninformed conclusion.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the addiction is intense, full of denial as any other addiction. it may be easier for one person to "ignore' the symptoms of withdrawal than others but there is no doubt that one does have to detox to get that crud out of your system and your mind. people may start out smoking because they want to, they continue smoking because they have to. being "smart" will never overcome an addiction so entrenched as smoking cigs. it takes education about the addiction and efforts from numerous fronts to be successful. it can be done for sure but obviously it is so difficult many quit numerous times and some are never able to make it stick

Is everyone who drinks alcohol an alcoholic?

Does everyone who smokes marijuana get addicted to it?

No, of course not, and it's the same with smokers. Some smoke because they're addictive personalities who have to have it, but others smoke because they like it.

Presuming that everyone you see with a cigarette in their mouths is an addict is dishonest and judgmental in the extreme.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The e-cig community is very aware of that one report. It is biased and full of misinformation. The two cancer causing agents were present in only two samples of hundreds taken. The levels were so miniscule as to be almost non existant. The FDA was not able to replicate the results in further tests.
Yes, The vaporizing agent is used in anti freeze and is PG or propelyne glycol. Propelyne glycol is a common medium for delivering medically precribed inhalents in respatory patients. It is used as the basic ingredient in stage fog machines and in medical room foggers. It is commonly used as a binding agent in thousands of food products such as hershey's chocolate, etc. It is used in antifreeze to LESSEN the poison in it as animals find anti freeze attractive. The poison in anti freeze is ethyl glycol and will kill you if injested. Propelyne glycol is consumed by almost everyone, every day in one form or another. It is a common food additive. The other form of agent is VG. Many of the bottles are labeled Kosher for food use.
It is our contention that the main objective of the FDA is to work in conjunction with the tobacco industry to regulate and tax the e-cig industry. Thier motivation is government control and tax revenue not to mention the enormous profit for the tobacco companies if they can market e-cigs rather than tobacco cigs. The reduced overhead would be enormous.
At present I will restate that there is no comprehensive, unbiased study that proves the ingredients in e-cigs are harmful. There are on the other hand numerous studies that show the product to be harmless if used as directed.
As a final thought, I hope you're not making the case that e-cig ingredients are the same as injesting tobacco smoke. That would be a very stupid and uninformed conclusion.

No, I'm not suggesting that nor am I condemning anyone for using the things. I just posted that FYI, but I see you've already considered that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies