Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 PM

183 posts, read 322,831 times

Advertisements

People who make such sweeping generalizations about every person in such a large group ARE stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no I don't think anyone that drinks alcohol is an alcoholic, nor do I think many people get addicted to pot. both alcohol and pot are psychologically addicting, it is the release of dopamine and endorphins along with the high you experience that makes it addictive. (generally speaking, always an exception to the rule)

99% of smokers smoke cigs because the tobacco companies put chemicals in the cigs that are highly addictive. most smokers are addicted in short order. you can pretend that it isn't "that" addictive that most people you see on the street are only doing it because they "like" it, then I would offer you a challenge and ask you to quit for a year and see what mind games your addicted mind plays on you.

you may be able to not smoke for a few weeks, thinking you don't experience any withdrawal but you would surely be one of the lucky few. the factors that make a smoker go back to smoking after a short time is complex but can be explained by the "junkie thinking/rationalizing"...I like to smoke, I deserve to smoke thinking. it is powerful and overcomes most all thoughts and self control.

I know what nicotine addiction is and how hard it is to overcome. unless you educate yourself on just what and how the addiction effects a person or you just don't smoke for more than a few weeks, you won't see it. why? because my guess is that you are addicted and don't want to admit it. I don't blame you, quitting is extremely difficult and not many are willing to do what it takes to get it done. way easier to just say screw it I am gonna smoke cuz i like it.

In the first place, I don't want to quit, so that's that.

In the second, it's said that tobacco is more addictive than herion and harder to quit. Have you ever been around a junkie when he's jonesing? I have, and if quitting horse is that hard, quitting smoking must be infinitely worse, right?

But, I've also been around people who quit smoking and I have yet to see one break out in sweats, go through full-body trembling for days, never yet heard a smoker scream in agony because he can't get his "fix" of tobacco. Gee, if tobacco is so addictive, you'd think they'd at least see monsters, as junkies often do, but you don't.

Know why? Because they're not physcially addicted at all. They just have a habit and the effects of stopping are psychological, not physical. Yes, some few are physically addicted, but most aren't, any more than most drinkers are alcoholics.

I don't know who ever came up with the notion that all, or even most, smokers are physically addicted, but whoever it was doesn't know much.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Statistical outlier.

That said, a correlation does not mean a causation. I brought this up in another tobacco thread. Do smokers have low IQs because of smoking? Or do people with low IQs tend to pick up smoking?
Really? Low IQ's? Even those smokers, like me, who were accepted into MENSA? I know several others too.

Claiming smokers have a lower IQ is nothing more than an excuse to feel superior. Smokers, like non-smokers, come in all shapes, forms, fashions and kinds. They're just people.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Not to wander off topic too much, but I'd like to say that Americans did some of their best work during the period of time when even cocaine was legal .. We used to win World Wars, we didn't take any guff from anyone .. we built an entire nation with infrastructure, from end to end, in less than 100 years .. and now here we are .. bantering about the presumed stupidity of smokers.

I don't support drug use .. but when you stop and consider just how fast we grew into a super power, one has to wonder if in fact drugs, to various levels and degrees, played any kind of role in that.

You may be on to something there!

Example: Back in the days when I started driving a truck, a good many of us used pills to stay awake. The accident statistics at the time indicated that truck drivers were at fault in something like 2% of accidents involving a truck and another vehicle.

Fast forward to today: Pills are gone, pee tests are mandatory, and truck drivers are mostly "clean." But, for some reason, the at fault statistics are 4 or 5 times higher than they were back then.

I wonder why? Could it be because drivers now are woozy and sleepy?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:49 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In the first place, I don't want to quit, so that's that. a junkie statement if there ever was one.

In the second, it's said that tobacco is more addictive than herion and harder to quit. Have you ever been around a junkie when he's jonesing? I have, and if quitting horse is that hard, quitting smoking must be infinitely worse, right? only a person who has been addicted to both could say which was worse.

But, I've also been around people who quit smoking and I have yet to see one break out in sweats, go through full-body trembling for days, I had body sweats and headaches that lasted for days. they were so difficult to handle I could not maintain a cold turkey quit. never yet heard a smoker scream in agony because he can't get his "fix" of tobacco. smokers don't scream in agony for a fix because it is legal and they can simply walk into a store and buy their fix. no need to go through detox unless you are quitting. Gee, if tobacco is so addictive, you'd think they'd at least see monsters, as junkies often do, but you don't.

Know why? Because they're not physcially addicted at all. you truly are the lucky one if you are not physically addicted to nicotine. why do you think people use the patch or chantix to quit? they use these methods because the detox is too hard. They just have a habit and the effects of stopping are psychological, not physical. we will have to agree to disagree there, most are physically addicted. again you can't say for sure unless you are willing to try it for yourself, but then again you 'don't want to quit" Yes, some few are physically addicted, but most aren't, any more than most drinkers are alcoholics.

I don't know who ever came up with the notion that all, or even most, smokers are physically addicted, but whoever it was doesn't know much.
again try to stay off smokes for even six months then will talk it is both physical and mental.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
again try to stay off smokes for even six months then will talk it is both physical and mental.

You may truly be one of the unlucky ones who was addicted. It happens...rarely.

Why do people use Chantix and such? Most people I know use it as crutch because they really don't want to quit but, given the hysteria of the day, don't want to admit they like smoking. They might not style it that way, but most could quit without aids like that if they really wanted to.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
BS!!! That is just not true for everyone at all and anyone who makes cu blanket statements shows they know not what they post about. I have quite for over 6 months at a time a couple of times, but it was because I was unable to afford them. You see, some of us make sure other bills are paid for before smoking or drinking sodas or other such non-essential things. I didn't go through any type of withdrawel at all. You could ask my hubby and he would confirm what i am telling you. I did lots of drugs when I was in college too and never once became addicted to anything at all. I rarely drink, maybe some bubbly on New years Eve and nothing else. I don't like McDonalds either, as I think most fast food pretty well sucks the big one and mostly lazy people eat at places like that. I cook and I bake and we don't eat any prepackaged meals. I cook everything from scratch and always have. I would be willing to bet that I am far more healthy than most in this forum and, YES, I do smoke. In fact, my doctore, though he constantly tries to get me to quit, is always surprised at how low my cholesterol is and how healthy I am, no high blood pressure or none of that rot. You see, smoking is not good for the body, but how much damage is done is completely dependent on the person because all of our make-ups are so different.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Let me guess;the smart people use LSD and other drugs to open their horizons;yea right.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You may truly be one of the unlucky ones who was addicted. It happens...rarely.

Why do people use Chantix and such? Most people I know use it as crutch because they really don't want to quit but, given the hysteria of the day, don't want to admit they like smoking. They might not style it that way, but most could quit without aids like that if they really wanted to.
You are right. The average person just doesn't have the stomach to face head on the PC do-goo0ders out there who are constantly telling them how bad they are because they smoke, or doing something else that the do-gooders don't personally like. Me, I am too old to care about what people think about me. That is what is wrong with this country, too many people care too highly what others think of them, which is why the progressives get away with using the "racist" word at every given turn. Peopl are afraid of being called a racist, even though most aren't.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Let me guess;the smart people use LSD and other drugs to open their horizons;yea right.
Who said that? What is it with you do-gooders anyway? Do all of you have a lack of reading comprehension or what? Must be that wonderful progressive education you got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies