Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's an insightful piece in Britain's Financial Times, a bastion of conservative viewpoints, at least financially. The article is worth reading.

Excerpt:

- Battling my way through Palin’s book, I began to wonder how American conservatism had come to this. Ms Palin’s book is smug, lightweight, nationalistic, entirely free of original ideas. How has this woman become the darling of the American right? ... then I realised – the rot set in with Ronald Reagan. This might seem an odd conclusion, since President Reagan is a conservative hero ... ideas now known as “Reaganism" are profoundly subversive of the most important conservative values. Traditional conservatives disdain populism and respect knowledge. They believe in balancing the government’s books. And they are pragmatists who are suspicious of ideology. Reagan debased all these ideas – and modern American conservatism is still suffering the consequences.

There's good info in the article detailing the how conservatives, or at least much of the GOP membership, traded their legendary intellectualism for common ignorance, which we see on public display in town hall meetings and tea party mob scenes.

Yes, I voted for Reagan both times, but was appalled all along at trickle down economics, tax cuts made with red ink, the S&L scandal, arms for hostages and much more.

History's long view of Reagan will be mixed; his worst failing being that he set the stage for the unmitigated disaster that was Bush-43, an economic calamity that has been unfolding for several years, and the 2008 election debacle that was McCain/Palin.

Oh sh*t.

The Saint Of Republican Revisionist Memory is being exposed. That's going to attract some mindless sheep in The Saint's defense, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Nita
Did you thoroughly read my post? I said every president prior to Reagan was either an intelectual and/or a war hero. Truman was a war hero. He was blind as a bat but cheated on the vision test so he could fight in WWI.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hardly think so, of course you had Carter, bright yes, horrible Pres yes..Last I heard Truman had almost no education, did that just change recently?
I would describe Truman as you described Carter: bright and a horrible president. But no, Truman attended two years of law school after (though not immediately after) primary and secondary, not what we expect of most presidents nowadays but not what most people would call "almost no education" either.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It was an across-the-board tax cut, not just for the wealthy.
You don't know what you're talking about. When the top tax bracket gets reduced from 70% to 28.5% while everyone else gets nothing or just a few percentage points then, yes, it is a massive tax break almost exclusively for the rich. Either learn the history of what actually happened or kindly stop flapping your jaws about something you obviously know nothing about.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's an insightful piece in Britain's Financial Times, a bastion of conservative viewpoints, at least financially. The article is worth reading.

Excerpt:

- Battling my way through Palin’s book, I began to wonder how American conservatism had come to this. Ms Palin’s book is smug, lightweight, nationalistic, entirely free of original ideas. How has this woman become the darling of the American right? ... then I realised – the rot set in with Ronald Reagan. This might seem an odd conclusion, since President Reagan is a conservative hero ... ideas now known as “Reaganism" are profoundly subversive of the most important conservative values. Traditional conservatives disdain populism and respect knowledge. They believe in balancing the government’s books. And they are pragmatists who are suspicious of ideology. Reagan debased all these ideas – and modern American conservatism is still suffering the consequences.

There's good info in the article detailing the how conservatives, or at least much of the GOP membership, traded their legendary intellectualism for common ignorance, which we see on public display in town hall meetings and tea party mob scenes.

Yes, I voted for Reagan both times, but was appalled all along at trickle down economics, tax cuts made with red ink, the S&L scandal, arms for hostages and much more.

History's long view of Reagan will be mixed; his worst failing being that he set the stage for the unmitigated disaster that was Bush-43, an economic calamity that has been unfolding for several years, and the 2008 election debacle that was McCain/Palin.

Reagan was a giant,a true conservative & capitalist hero & no english cocroach can smear him...

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Outsourcing is occurring with or without tax cuts to the wealthy. Companies will do this to reduce their overhead and increase profit.
This is definitely a short term and micro economic perspective. Long term higher profits are had by higher pay (Up to a point) and from a macro perspective if everyone outsources then where will the money come from to buy the products? You have to pay your workers enough to buy the product if you want to make lots of thing to sell to everyone. Outsourcing doesn't change this it only hides it for a bit.
Quote:
This is occuring during our current Democratic Presidential tenure and will continue to occur during the remainder of his term despite failed promises to provide tax incentives to companies who agree to hire U.S. based employees.
It is the difference between macro and micro economics. What we need to do is to look at raise the cost of foreign labor. This is a form of protectionism that will benefit everyone.
Quote:
There is no evidence that shows tax cuts leads to increased outsourcing of jobs.
There is plenty of evidence to show that tax cuts on the rich leads to lower wages on the middle class and poor the trend is for lower wages and where will they work for food and a place to stay?
Quote:
If anything, increased tax cuts could lead to small buisness hiring additional employees and increase spending in general. Furthermore, what evidence do you have that shows factories or productive assets were not increased during that time? So when companies began to hire more people and the creation of companies began to occur, that wouldn't qualify as increased productive assets? And why is the increased price of housing and stocks a bad thing? If more people are investing in those items it's values will increase. Many people's retirement is tied to the stock market so why is it bad if the value of stocks increase?
http://longwavegroup.com/publication...22_Dow1000.pdf
Quote:
And why is the increased price of housing and stocks a bad thing?
Well Because the prices of housing in particular went up with out the wages of the home buyers going up to match and this was the real estate bubble that has the economy in a bad way. Asd far as stocks go same thing.
Quote:
If more people are investing in those items it's values will increase. Many people's retirement is tied to the stock market so why is it bad if the value of stocks increase?
because what goes up must come back down? See the above link.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Reagan was a giant,a true conservative & capitalist hero & no english cocroach can smear him...
Especially when the "cocroach" writes above your reading level.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times

Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Especially when the "cocroach" writes above your reading level.
So now we know Tony Montana was a Reagan fan. I was wondering why he was so strong in the war on drugs. Keep the profits rolling in for his types.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I would describe Truman as you described Carter: bright and a horrible president.
I can't think of a single policy decession that Carter made which was horrible. He even put all the pieces in place to tackle inflation by hiring Volker and raising interest rates. The only thing Carter is guilty of is being the victim of the 70's oil shocks and the resulting inflation which came from them but that was a world wide phenomenon and not just America. Reagan simply continued Carter's anti-inflation policies.

I'm afraid you're not basing your review of Carter on facts and instead are simply buying into baseless revisionist history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies