Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wouldn't support either higher or lower taxes without there being some reasonable expectation of the action's having some sort of desired effect. I don't think you could make the same statement, seeing as you seem to think that lowering taxes is a desirable end in itself, regardless of what the costs or consequences might be...
You are exactly right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
In addition to the people who are not driving fuel efficient vehicles, higher gas prices also hit the people (like me) that live in rural America. I do not have the option of biking or walking to work or the market, and there is NO public transportation here. I have to drive everywhere I want to go, and usually a good distance at that (40+ miles to the nearest traffic light, McDonalds, or Wal-Mart.).
I too live in rural America, in a town of less than a thousand people. I work in town about 7 blocks from where I live. We go to Wal-mart about every other month at about 100 miles round trip. We have a grocery store in our town, and a lumber store that is also kind of a general store. We have a drug store, and a new variety store is slowing stocking it's shelves. It costs more to shop at each of these stores, BUT, they are vital to our community and if I factor in my cost of fuel and valuable time, it is cheaper to shop at home. Often times I shop online because it is cheaper to pay postage than it is to drive to town to get items I can not buy here at home.
The higher gas prices should force people to examine and adjust their habits. Choices include to minimize any extra driving, drive a fuel efficient vehicle, and carpool if/when possible.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 AM

76 posts, read 209,290 times
Almost everyone with a pension owns Exxon and other energy companies. For truckers, farmers, etc., the price is high. For those of us who have chosen a lifestyle of commuting, huge mini-mansions and such, we have created our own problem and should accept the consequences of our actions.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrumples View Post
Almost everyone with a pension owns Exxon and other energy companies. For truckers, farmers, etc., the price is high. For those of us who have chosen a lifestyle of commuting, huge mini-mansions and such, we have created our own problem and should accept the consequences of our actions.
I don't see this applying to rural America- sorry. The do not live in McMansions, likely are FORCED to commute rather than make the decision to commute, and more often than not, have no public transportation options to boot. Would you suggest that all of the rural poor pack up and move into the cities? Though I understand that the US has some of the cheapest gas in the world, by comparison, we also have the least adequate public transport system. Folks in the UK paying $8/gallon are often within walking distance of a village center (basic shopping and services) or are on a bus or rail line that they can commute to work in larger city centers. Many Americans simply do not have that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies