Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM

377 posts, read 325,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
How much of a deficit is too much. Whne the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire everyone will pay higher taxes.
in case you have not noticed we ar enot experiencing inflation.

How much deficit per year is enough for you. why not 5 trillion a year?
Bush campaigned on the promise that his tax cuts would expire in 2010 (EGTRRA tax cuts). He did that to keep the price tag down to 1.7 trillion. If he ran on the platform of permanent tax cuts, the cost would have been closer to 4.5 trillion. He would not have gotten elected on that promise.

I did mean to say recession instead of inflation. Thanks for pointing that out.

But we are experience inflation right now:

Even though unemployment is high and business has lots of spare capacity, inflation has returned -- although you wouldn't know it from a glance at the behavior of the consumer price index.
It's a no-brainer. With at least two quarters of growth under our belts but sales still weak, many companies have apparently decided that this would be a great opportunity to boost profits by raising prices -- while the central bank still has the hammer down.
Inflation is moving faster than it looks Irwin Kellner - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
It doesn't have to be insult. Its peoples reaction to the term that encourages others to use it in a negative way. They need to use this term as a badge of pride and not be ashamed of it. I use teabagger because its easier than saying Tea Party Movement. Kinda like dem, lib, or repub.
I agree. In fact, the tea party supporters were the first to use the term to describe themselves. Remember the signs like "Teabagging for Jesus!" being held up at tea party rallies? Word usuage changes the meaning of words over time and this is just one example of how that happens.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,767,557 times
This thread is about the term, 'teabagger" not Bush tax cuts. If you want to talk about Bush tax cuts make your own thread. Stop hijacking mine.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM

377 posts, read 325,087 times
Quote:
This thread is about the term, 'teabagger" not Bush tax cuts. If you want to talk about Bush tax cuts make your own thread. Stop hijacking mine.
I'm sorry. I was answering a question.

Then on to the matter at hand. What is it again? Oh yes some teabaggers don't like to be called teabaggers. Words sometimes have more than one meaning. That's all I got.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,092,852 times
Quote:
Source: The Truth About 'Teabagging': Is the Term Offensive? - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

Like it or not I think the name has been attached to the movement.
Tea parties has been attached to the movement...

Teabaggers is only used by angry, bitter hateful children on the far left who are bigots

Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,158,508 times
Call me naive but I never heard the word teabagger
used to describe a homosexual act other than on this
board, this is the first place I read about the reference.
Methinks the people whining about it being an inappropriate
word to describe the tea party movement may be the
same ones practicing it in the homosexual sense....

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM

58,584 posts, read 26,889,168 times
Double standard. Some people don't want the Confederate Battle Flag displayed because the KKK stole it and use it for their own means.

The Tea party movement is what it is. If teabagger is a sexual term, then it shouldn't be used.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,389,298 times
It's kind of the same thing parents should consider when naming a child, you always have to take into account potential bad nicknames.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM

17,385 posts, read 11,906,704 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be insult. Its peoples reaction to the term that encourages others to use it in a negative way. They need to use this term as a badge of pride and not be ashamed of it. I use teabagger because its easier than saying Tea Party Movement. Kinda like dem, lib, or repub.
The "N" word is easier to say than African American. Should we start using that word all the time, and tell people not to be insulted?

The phrase being used for the Tea Party Movement is a crude, disgusting sexual term. And it's being used specifically because of that - they say it knowing full well what it means, then plead ignorance when someone objects. Nice try - it's obvious what they're trying to do - Saul would be proud.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM

457 posts, read 754,664 times
Quote:

Like it or not I think the name has been attached to the movement.
Offensive? I hardly think so! http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o467/geewhizg6/G0092.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies