Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
In fact, the tea party supporters were the first to use the term to describe themselves.
NO. THEY. WEREN'T.

I believe this is the second time I've pointed that out to you specifically. You should really stop listening to Olbermann, Maddow, Kos, HuffPo and the like. When it comes to the Tea Party movement, those guys are speeding down the disinformation highway faster than a Carrera on the Autobahn.

You do know that they lie to you outright, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,732,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
NO. THEY. WEREN'T.

I believe this is the second time I've pointed that out to you specifically. You should really stop listening to Olbermann, Maddow, Kos, HuffPo and the like. When it comes to the Tea Party movement, those guys are speeding down the disinformation highway faster than a Carrera on the Autobahn.

You do know that they lie to you outright, don't you?
NO the first televised use of the term Tea Baggers was on Fox and Friends

Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
I use the term White Nationalist, because that's what they are. Don't let the rhetoric and pseudo-intellectualizing fool you. This garbage cares nothing about lower taxes, smaller government or whatever nonsense they try to convince you of. They have no legitimacy.
^^^ lost cause...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM

5,349 posts, read 4,446,123 times
Quote:
Some people don't like being called teabaggers

Per the title of this thread that you see above, some people do not like the use of this term to identify Tea Party members. I personally have friends that use the term and they are delighted when they get the reaction that they seek when they use the word. I have other friends that are members of the Tea Party movement and some are highly offended by the use of the word and others that just say, "Consider the source."

At this point in time we all pretty much know what the word really means. What I don't get is why someone would be so hell bent on offending someone else. Do we not try to go out of our way to not use pejorative language so as to not offend or hurt others? Perhaps some like to goad others with the language they use.

Some people use the word retarded here on the forum and many others are offended by the use of that word. Why is that? It is a real word with a real meaning and, if used in the true sense of the word, it is not offensive. To use it to make fun of, or belittle someone IS offensive. If you are speaking to someone with Downs Syndrome and say that they are retarded, you are technically correct. However, if that person tells that they don't want you to use that word and you continue to do so, you are acting with malice and are using language to purposefully offend. It is the same with many words. Words do hurt (or offend) others.

It would serve some well to remember the old adage:
Quote:
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
And yet others need to remember:
Quote:
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,348,659 times
"Some people don't like being called teabaggers"

Then they shouldn't have used the term on their signs:

Quote:
The current Tea Party movement initially came up with the 'clever' idea of sending Tea bags to members of Congress. It was in their initial rallys that they started referring to this act of sending their representatives boxes of tea bags as 'TEABAGGING":

Real World Politics: Who First used the term 'TEABAGGER'?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
In the end those calligng them such just hurt their own causes as we have recently seen. There are lots of degrading names for many groups as we have seen.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,212,797 times
Seeing that we are using the term teabaggers to describe a group of people and not individuals I could care less if they are offended or not, if the shoe fits wear it.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,276,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
NO the first televised use of the term Tea Baggers was on Fox and Friends
Here's the link:

A 2009 Tea Party - FOXNews.com

Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,276,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post

At this point in time we all pretty much know what the word really means. What I don't get is why someone would be so hell bent on offending someone else. Do we not try to go out of our way to not use pejorative language so as to not offend or hurt others? Perhaps some like to goad others with the language they use.
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the word "teabagger" has multiple meanings which are derived from context.

{mod cut}

Last edited by mrstewart; 03-03-2010 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: off topic and discussing moderator actions

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,212,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Thanks I was looking for that, there used to be a youtube
version but it appears FOX had it scrubbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies