Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I really hope it does go to $7/gallon. Expensive gas means less cars on the road, less pollution, more people biking/walking. Anything that is better for the environment as well as better for individual health is a good thing in my opinion.

I have co-workers who drive a mile to work. Incredible! We need high gas prices to get people off their fat a*ses and walk/bike instead driving everywhere. A good book on the subject is $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better

I know a lot of people disagree with me strongly about this, so go ahead - flame away

That makes sense if you live in the city. It would be a real problem for people who live in rural areas or suburbs. There isn't a one size fits all solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A major tax increase on truck fuel would also distribute the repair costs to the sector that causes the most wear on the highway.
They already pay separate taxes for fuel, and the rates can be quite high. We do not need an additional tax on trucks. They already pay a myriad of taxes just to be able to bring you the stuff you need and use every day.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I work in the unsustainable area, and unless you want a nuclear power plant literally in your back yard, which I'd be fine with, then I have to drive 30 miles to work. If I lived next to work I'd have to drive 30 miles to the store/anythingelseintheworldineed.
Well then I guess you should ask for a raise so that you can pay for your commute. I don't even live NEAR you so why am I subsidizing the energy costs for your community? If the area needs a nuclear power plant then they should be able to absorb the cost.

I'm going to take the conservative's "**** you, got mine" approach on this one.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:10 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They are smarter, and shows. We burn 20-22 million bbl/day. THAT is not smart.
They also live under different conditions in smaller countries.

If you truly live in Dallas, then the differences between there and say Munich should be obvious.

Don't get me wrong. There is room for improvement here. But to think you folks in the Metroplex, and in other places, are going to tolerate government-manipulated $7/gallon gas is a bit of a stretch.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM

769 posts, read 887,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Well then I guess you should ask for a raise so that you can pay for your commute. I don't even live NEAR you so why am I subsidizing the energy costs for your community? If the area needs a nuclear power plant then they should be able to absorb the cost.

You are arguing for an artificial $7/gal gas hike. I'm stating why everyone have home and work right next to eachother and how that is a freedom of choice. I choose to live in civilization and drive to work rather than live close to work and drive to civilization. This currently impacts you nill. My commute is covered. If the gas price goes up that much, it won't be, then you won't have power. (Doesn't matter where you live, most people that work at power plants drive a hefty distance.)

Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I agree.

Another conservative suggestion for them: Take personal responsibility. If the price of gas is a problem, buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree.

Another conservative suggestion for them: Take personal responsibility. If the price of gas is a problem, buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle.
fine, then YOU can pay for the folly of a 'train' ststem that is unsustainable

look at the facts NYC's MTA,,,is BROKE

Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM

769 posts, read 887,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree.

It is NOT a problem, we are discussing those in favor of making it a problem.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
fine, then YOU can pay for the folly of a 'train' ststem that is unsustainable

look at the facts NYC's MTA,,,is BROKE
Huh? I didn't say anything about funding a train system. I said buy a more fuel-efficient car. You get to keep your independence, and save money.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
It is NOT a problem, we are discussing those in favor of making it a problem.
Chances are that the price of fuel is going to go up, even without new taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies