Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,594,088 times

Advertisements

I would like for this thread to be a chance for the supporters of Obamacare to give SPECIFIC things the bill will improve (where in the bill are you referring to specifically), and HOW the specifics in the bill will translate into a better system. Although I am not a supporter of Obamacare, I am legitimately interested to hear what the supporters have to say about it since it is possible that it will be passed.

Please, opponents of the bill, there are a gazillion threads with back and forth rhetoric from the pro and anti side of the argument. If you must comment on anything a supporter post, BE JUST AS SPECIFIC in your post, citing parts of the bill and DETAILS as to why it might not work.

For both sides, please no rhetoric and slams against the left/right/dem/rep/etc. Lets please stay to details and specifics minus the rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM

So there are no supporters of Obamacare who can provide specifics and details regarding what the plan would make better and how?

Why does anyone want it passed if they can't answer those questions?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,906,687 times
I would be interested to see their take on it as well. As you said, not a generalized, fluffy good feeling vague summary of it, but pointing to the bill and saying "this right here, this will do x,y,z".

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,786,426 times
I am glad you didn't ask detractors to have any specific knowledge as to what in in any of the plans?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM

22,118 posts, read 19,327,003 times
The Public Option would make it more affordable for people who currently can't afford insurance. They will be given subsidies in order to help cover the cost if they can't afford it. The Private Insurance companies will now have competition so they won't be as willing to go with the inane price increases we have seen recently, and would keep their costs in check. You also have those who can't get coverage due to a pre-existing condition, which causes even more problems.

The fact many more people would be insured would also help drastically reduce costs, and overall have a positive impact on the economy. One major reason why costs have gone up by so much is the impact those without insurance or without adequate insurance have on the whole scheme of things when they seek treatment they can't afford. First off, those without insurance or without adequate insurance often do not have access of preventative care. Preventative care is extremely important at not only keeping people healthy, but catching potential diseases and illness's in their early stages. The later these things are caught, not only are they more serious, and more fatal, but also much more costly to treat. When they actually seek treatment its much more costly. They can't afford it well it leads to more bankruptcies, and foreclosures.

That has a snowball effect on the entire economy. Not only that, but the costs often times go well beyond that. Hospitals, ER's, etc will often have to eat the costs of those who can't afford the treatment. Well who do you think they pass the costs on to? Everyone else. So everyone else's cost increase as a result of this. That isn't even enough to recoup some of the costs.

As a result some Hospitals need to be bailed out by local and state Governments. This leads to more deficits, budget cuts, and tax increases at the local and state level to pay for this. Not only that, but not all Hospitals will be bailed out, some will close. This results in less treatment for some, as well as more job loss, which leads to even more bankruptcies and foreclosures. Not all of these problems would go away, but the impact and how often would be drastically reduced, due to the massive snowball effect and strain those without insurance or adequate coverage have on the system.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Public Option would make it more affordable for people who currently can't afford insurance. They will be given subsidies in order to help cover the cost if they can't afford it. The Private Insurance companies will now have competition so they won't be as willing to go with the inane price increases we have seen recently, and would keep their costs in check. You also have those who can't get coverage due to a pre-existing condition, which causes even more problems.

The fact many more people would be insured would also help drastically reduce costs, and overall have a positive impact on the economy. One major reason why costs have gone up by so much is the impact those without insurance or without adequate insurance have on the whole scheme of things when they seek treatment they can't afford. First off, those without insurance or without adequate insurance often do not have access of preventative care. Preventative care is extremely important at not only keeping people healthy, but catching potential diseases and illness's in their early stages. The later these things are caught, not only are they more serious, and more fatal, but also much more costly to treat. When they actually seek treatment its much more costly. They can't afford it well it leads to more bankruptcies, and foreclosures.

That has a snowball effect on the entire economy. Not only that, but the costs often times go well beyond that. Hospitals, ER's, etc will often have to eat the costs of those who can't afford the treatment. Well who do you think they pass the costs on to? Everyone else. So everyone else's cost increase as a result of this. That isn't even enough to recoup some of the costs.

As a result some Hospitals need to be bailed out by local and state Governments. This leads to more deficits, budget cuts, and tax increases at the local and state level to pay for this. Not only that, but not all Hospitals will be bailed out, some will close. This results in less treatment for some, as well as more job loss, which leads to even more bankruptcies and foreclosures. Not all of these problems would go away, but the impact and how often would be drastically reduced, due to the massive snowball effect and strain those without insurance or adequate coverage have on the system.
Is the public option back in the bill? I thought it was left out this time, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM

88,603 posts, read 44,302,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Is the public option back in the bill? I thought it was left out this time, but I could be wrong.
No, the public option is out.
Key House liberal may vote against healthcare bill - War Room - Salon.com

Perhaps Smash255 can try again?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM

58,523 posts, read 26,824,792 times
"Is the public option back in the bill? I thought it was left out this time, but I could be wrong."

Many of the supportes in congress have stated that this is just the first step.Their goal is public option.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,292,741 times
Quote:
The public option is NOT in the current Bill. Furthermore, the CBO determined the premiums for a public option would be the same or higher than current premiums.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM

22,118 posts, read 19,327,003 times
Quote:
The Public Option is not in the current Senate Bill, but its not dead. The House and Senate passed two different bills. What typically happens when that is the case (which is most of the time), the House and Senate will iron out the differences, but both sides will need to vote on it again. The vast majority of the time that isn't a problem, but now the GOP can filibuster the bill in the Senate again. This is where Reconciliation comes in. Its unlikely the full bill can be passed through the process of Reconciliation, but certain provisions can. The House will vote for the Senate Bill as is therefore another full vote in the Senate will not be needed. Then the differences will be worked, some of the provisions that are currently in the House bill (and perhaps a few others as well) that are not in the Current Senate Bill will be passed through Reconciliation. One of these Provisions might be the Public Option. It isn't clear that it will be one of them at this time, but approx 25 Senators have so far signed on to passing the Public Option through Reconciliation, and many others have expressed support for the Public Option (whether they support its use through Reconciliation remains to be seen.

The bill without the Public Option will address many of the issues I made in my previous post, such as the subsidies for those who can't afford insurance. The exchange, pre-existing conditions among other things, and the overall snowball effect and strain those without insurance or adequate insurance have on the entire system The Public Option however does go a bit further in addressing those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies