Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
If it's a government fee or tax on the business then it would be pretty easy to figure out unless you are an idiot. Even idiots know that the 5.99 meal deal doesn't include tax. It's probably a percetange but I don't know...the article didn't say. In this case the prices have risen because of additional government mandates, not because food costs have risen. Only if you don't know about the mandate do you think it was the cost of the food driving up the prices. As a consumer I'd be happy to know the reason for the price increase.
Tax is straight forward. It is a simple percentage of every sale. This is common knowledge and a general application across all sales.

You seem to be making the assumption with your comment about an idiot being able to calculate it. In order for you to make this statement, you would have to have knowledge of how the fee is applied to the business and how the business chooses to compensate itself through its additional fee.

Is the governments mandate linked to the percentage of sales the business does? If it is not, then how is it calculated? What calculation is used to insure that the business only gets exactly what it paid to the government?

If it is a straight fee and the owner charges per meal, then the owner could technically make more from this charge than he pays to the government or he could end up not making as much depending on the charge. Now I see no reasoning behind the fee by the government being attached to the sale of each meal, or a percentage of total sales, so there will always be an issue of estimation due to these charges not being linked.

Could you explain to me how it would be such a simple calculation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
lol, lol, lol.

Mandatory, hidden fee that hits you when you get the bill.
Now help the restaurant pay it's employees health insurance.

Watch for this to come to a restaurant near you soon......
I'll tell ya folks..we're gonna be fee'd and taxed to death soon as revenue dries up for both government and private business.

Dinner tabs: Restaurants add employee charge to dinner tabs - chicagotribune.com

snippet:
"The latest hidden mandatory add-on is a "health" charge added to restaurant bills. As far as I know, this scam cropped up first in San Francisco, but you can count on it to spread.

The rationale for this one is to cover the employers' mandatory contribution to the City's "Healthy San Francisco" health-coverage system. The charge actually is levied on employers, but at least some restaurants are adding a few dollars or percentage points to each customer's bill to cover this charge."
San Francisco requires employers to provide Health Care. Obviously a Newspaper in Chicago and a Poster in Texas have problems with that. For me I'd rather know that the person preparing my food has Health care Coverage

Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
San Francisco requires employers to provide Health Care. Obviously a Newspaper in Chicago and a Poster in Texas have problems with that. For me I'd rather know that the person preparing my food has Health care Coverage
How's about on your phone bill to pay healthcare for the operators and technicians ?
Or you supermarket receipt..gotta pay those cashiers.
Or when you buy gas to pay for the gas station cashier's health insurance ?

Why are you folks so complacent about this ?

Are restaurant staff in a special class where their customers pay for their healthcare ?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Until you go out to eat and get a bill with charges like this added.
Totally unexpected to a casual diner..wouldn't you agree ?
I'm with Cece, they could put a Health Department Permit charge, how upset would that make you? Probably a lot less than a case of food poisoning.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
How's about on your phone bill to pay healthcare for the operators and technicians ?
Or you supermarket receipt..gotta pay those cashiers.
Or when you buy gas to pay for the gas station cashier's health insurance ?

Why are you folks so complacent about this ?

Are restaurant staff in a special class where their customers pay for their healthcare ?
Are you dense or what?
Who do you think pays for the health care benefits of those operators, technicians, cashiers, etc?
CUSTOMERS!!! It's part of the bill, it always has been. Do you think because you don't see the charge as a line item on your bill that the money is coming from somewhere else?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
I'm curious as to why they put the health ins fee and none of the other outrageous fee's they have to pay in that utopia. maybe to send a message is what it seems like

Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Well... if we are going that angle, how do we know they aren't being greedy with the additional charge? Are they going to provide a breakdown of their fees by the city so people can see they are getting an honest charge for the service they are paying for? The charge doesn't prove they are being honest, it is just that what used to be an excuse given when prices were raised due to various issues like this, it is now a printed excuse on the menu. Either way, there is no evidence that the charge is fair or not.
How so? The menu prices remain the same, but an additional itemized charge is added to the customers' bills to cover the employers' increased cost of mandated provisions to employees.

That way people get a very clear explanation of why they have to pay more for the same thing.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
I think the restaurants that are itemizing it on the bill are sending a bad signal. They are flagging themselves as a business that was not providing health insurance for their employees. Restaurants that do provide insurance are exempt from paying the fees. So the statement they are sending is that we didn't provide health care until forced.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL, where the hell else do you think the money is going to come from??
Of course, CUSTOMERS are paying for the all of the employee benefits, health care and payroll and unemployment and SS & medicare taxes, family leave benefits, etc.
Again, where else would the money come from if not charged to the customers?

I know, I'm not sure what they are getting upset about. The customer is already paying for everything around them, utilities, linens, rent, employees, insurance, food cost etc. What's the big deal?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
I heard about this months ago, not that it was added to the bill but that San Francisco mandates health insurance for employees.

It would be no different for a small business to charge customers more in order to cover health insurance for their employees.

I often try to do my shopping at Kroger because they offer a much better health insurance plan than Wal-Mart, they pay their employees more, and they allow unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies