U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM

5,695 posts, read 5,354,020 times

Advertisements

I think no matter what your political ideology, this letter and the issues it addresses should be talked about just as much as Madonna tonguing Britney.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM

4,088 posts, read 5,076,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I think no matter what your political ideology, this letter and the issues it addresses should be talked about just as much as Madonna tonguing Britney.

Wait! Madonna tongued Brittney? Do you have pics?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM

This is an example of bipartisan behavior that most won't agree to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Google is your friend.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Encouraging signs of bipartisanship. I just hope the Cantwell/Collins duo wins out in the end.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,569,271 times
Quote:
A national manufacturing policy? A wacked out idea that only an Olympia Snowe (my senator, unfortunately) and a Lindsey Graham could find attractive. All this is is more government interference in the economy to the benefit of favored constituencies (read: unions) and industries (read: green jobs) at the expense of the taxpayer. Haven't we learned anything from the real estate and banking debacle that can be laid directly at the feet of government?

Listen: The U.S. became a manufacturing powerhouse without the help of Soviet-style central planning. It lost its edge largely because of government regulation and union greed that made manufacturing in this country no longer profitable. Get the government and the unions out of the way and manufacturing will return. Case in point: foreign car companies building factories in this country to outcompete domestic manufacturers because they didn't have to contend with the cost of union labor.

What these ten senators are proposing gives bipartisanship a bad name.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,637,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
A truly more important issue.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM

31,367 posts, read 35,259,513 times
Quote:
I've been waiting for this for years ever since Bill Clinton talked about it and then promptly forgot that he had ever mentioned it.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM

31,367 posts, read 35,259,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Listen: The U.S. became a manufacturing powerhouse without the help of Soviet-style central planning. It lost its edge largely because of government regulation and union greed that made manufacturing in this country no longer profitable. Get the government and the unions out of the way and manufacturing will return. Case in point: foreign car companies building factories in this country to outcompete domestic manufacturers because they didn't have to contend with the cost of union labor.

Funny, some folks always like to bring up Soviet 5 year plans and neglect to mention the role that the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) did in transforming Japan into a manufacturing powerhouse.

Arguing about how American became an industrial leader, while nice, hardly addresses the problems of the present. As for the catch all canard about government regulation and unions, I would suggest that there might be a little room for discussion of American industries abject arrogance that allowed the Japanese to corner the market in steel, autos and machine tooling.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,637,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny, some folks always like to bring up Soviet 5 year plans and neglect to mention the role that the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) did in transforming Japan into a manufacturing powerhouse.

Arguing about how American became an industrial leader, while nice, hardly addresses the problems of the present. As for the catch all canard about government regulation and unions, I would suggest that there might be a little room for discussion of American industries abject arrogance that allowed the Japanese to corner the market in steel, autos and machine tooling.
We were the best so why did we have to compete? We were all right. Now we have to wake up and deal with what went down as we were napping. Or go broke.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
A national manufacturing policy? A wacked out idea that only an Olympia Snowe (my senator, unfortunately) and a Lindsey Graham could find attractive. All this is is more government interference in the economy to the benefit of favored constituencies (read: unions) and industries (read: green jobs) at the expense of the taxpayer. Haven't we learned anything from the real estate and banking debacle that can be laid directly at the feet of government?

Oh where are you getting your info buddy?

Only 7% of private labor is union and as far as I know the gov is not big on manufacturing outside the military maybe.

And gov. has been subsidizing agriculture and finance so I don't know where you're coming from with gov and unions limiting manufacturing.

Gov. has actually helped manufacturing, just not in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.