Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new thread on this topic which came up when I brought up the issue of male crime versus female crime on another thread. I think this is an interesting and valid question that was brought up by Nutz76 when he posted this link:
Nashville News - The female discount for sexual predators - page 1
He points out that men are often given long prison sentences when as teachers they have sexual relations with their female students while female teachers often are treated less harshly. I have to agree with Nutz76 that this is indeed the case so the question I'd like to ask you is whether or not there is a difference between these situations and if the shorter sentences that women have received are appropriate for their crime.
First I'll tell you what my opinion is and I know that many of you won't agree with it but here goes. Young teenage male and female students are very different psychologically and so are their sexual desires. The fact of the matter is that a teenage girl who has been seduced by an older male teacher is very likely to suffer emotionally as a result of the experience and will also be traumatized if this situation becomes public knowledge and everyone at school knows that she's the one they're talking about in the newspapers and the television news.
This is very different from what a teenage boy would be experiencing. I can tell you in all honesty that I would loved to have been seduced by an attractive female teacher and if everyone found out about it I'd find myself being the envy of all of my male friends. I know how that must sound to some of you but that's just how our brains are wired. I certainly wouldn't have felt like the victim of a crime and I think that's very typical of teenage boys whose hormone levels are in overdrive during those years.
I must also confess that I do see a male teacher having sex with a teenage girl as a much more serious offence than a female teacher given the circumstances I've described. To be fair to the male teachers I also think it should be taken into consideration if the teacher was a young man in his early 20's and the student was 17 for example. It's quite possible that he could have really fallen for a young woman who wasn't that much younger than he was so I do think that's different from a teacher in his 40's who's trying to seduce as many teenage girls as possible.
Anyway, this could be an interesting topic so I'm wondering what you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
This thread takes me down the mammary lane

There were a few teachers in school back in the day that I dreamed of banging

Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,186 times
As a whole (that acknowledges 'exceptions' for those too slow to catch on), I would agree that yes, female teachers do 'get off' easier. Do I like it? Nope. But I never got laid by any teachers in high school either.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Yep. A forty-year old male school teacher banging an 18-year-old girl is creepy and predatory. Meanwhile, a forty-year old female school teacher banging an 18-year-old boy is fodder for all kinds of adolescent fantasies and R-rated movies. Don't ask me why, but that's just the way a lot of society sees it.

Heck, I had some major rapport with my high school German teacher who was seriously hot and in her late 20s. On graduation night she came up to me and invited me to call her over the summer. I was dating someone at the time and never did. What the heck was I thinking?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. A forty-year old male school teacher banging an 18-year-old girl is creepy and predatory. Meanwhile, a forty-year old female school teacher banging an 18-year-old boy is fodder for all kinds of adolescent fantasies and R-rated movies. Don't ask me why, but that's just the way society sees it.
In both your cases both parties are Consenting Adults. No judgment to pass.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
If anyone wants to go through this list, here it is...

The big list: Female teachers with students

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If anyone wants to go through this list, here it is...

The big list: Female teachers with students
You're kidding. There's a teacher named Autumn Leathers. That's priceless.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
It's pretty reprehensible no matter who is the victim and who is the criminal.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're kidding. There's a teacher named Autumn Leathers. That's priceless.
lol No kidding.

Any way, I found this as well, but the link needs to be sourced, which I haven't done.

Quote:
Are teachers who sleep with boys getting off?

Are women getting lighter sentences? It's not clear they ever did. In the 1991 study Women and Men Who Sexually Abuse Children: A Comparative Analysis, researcher Craig Allen studied 75 male and 65 female offenders in the Midwest. "Relatively similar proportions of female and male offenders had charges pressed against them (52% and 55%, respectively)," Allen reported. "However, more female offenders (30%) were put in jail than male offenders (25%)." Five of the 65 women were in prison during the study, which inflated the female number. But at best, the gender comparison was a wash.

Have the numbers changed since then? Since the government doesn't break down current data, Slate intern Ben Raphel went back through the Nexis database from the beginning of 2005 to last Thursday, identifying every case in which the terms "teacher," "sentence," and "sexual assault" appeared. Lots of cases don't involve the term "sexual assault," so this list is partial, but we stuck to that phrase to be consistent. Raphel found 43 offenders—26 male and 17 female—of whom 37 had been sentenced.

At first glance, the sentences look biased. The men got an average of more than 11 years; the women got less than two. But compare the crimes, and the story gets more complicated. Most of the men molested victims younger than 15; most of the women didn't.* Half the men molested multiple victims; only three of the women did. Ten men on the list had multiple victims, including victims younger than 16. These men earned an average sentence of more than 17 years, drastically inflating the average."
The rest is here for what it's worth.
Are teachers who sleep with boys getting off? - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
photobuff42 wrote:
Quote:
It's pretty reprehensible no matter who is the victim and who is the criminal.
I was looking back at my OP and I hope it didn't come across as though I thought it was just fine for female teachers to have sex with their students, I agree that it's completely inappropriate behavior which should have some consequences. I'm just saying that we need to look at a number of important issues when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies