Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are welcome, my work involves writing and analysis in the areas of global HIV/AIDS.

You might also be interested to know that in the US and Africa, heterosexual sex is now the primary means of transmission in many areas.

I am curious though...why would a city's HIV rate affect whether anyone should eat in restaurants there?
It shouldn't, and for the people bringing it up they don't mean it. They're just hateful internet trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Probably a good call. If you're going to be engaging in needle drug use and high rick sexual practices with multiple partners on vacation, you should probably should avoid places with high HIV rates. It's your choice, but please, do try and be safe.
sorry i do not engage in any of the practices you describe and seem to know so much about.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
sorry i do not engage in any of the practices you describe and seem to know so much about.
Huh? You're the one who said you'd be avoiding vacationing in high HIV areas due to your lifestyle reasons and concerns over health.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Huh? You're the one who said you'd be avoiding vacationing in high HIV areas due to your lifestyle reasons and concerns over health.
sorry i didn't explain it more clearly i meant thier lifestyles got it.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
My grandfather was a jailer for the local sheriffs department for many years. He absolutely refused to eat at restaurants where he knew who was working in the kitchen. Years of years of seeing the cretins of the earth cycling in and out of jail repeatedly was enough for him to know he didn't want his food touched by any of those fools.

Regarding the OP, Washington DC has a higher rates of AIDS than some African countries. Very sad.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: quote removed

Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
"I would cry, but I'd have to put a condom on" -Bill Frist, after claiming HIV can be transmitted through tears

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
This is a sore spot for me. Lost a cousin to aids. He contracted it long before it became widely known. Once it became known, many people began using condoms to protect themselves. Since then, many people now don't even bother with condoms. I don't know if it's ignorance, stupidity, drugs and alcohol, or a combination of all the above. I thought sex-ed in school was suppose to help stop these problems through education? Something else that isn't widely reported, HIV virus can pass through certain types of condoms, usually the ones that feel more natural. I know there's been a rise in the number of people with an allergy to latex. Have they begun making a non-latex condoms?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Education is important, but one of the biggest obstacles we have is simply being human. Nearly everybody has had unsafe sex at some point in their life (either in a relationship or a one night stand.) Unfortunately some of those people become infected with HIV. When I listen to others talk about how they'd never take part in risky behavior I have to laugh. They are either 1) Lying or 2) Never get laid.

I guess they never went to the store without clicking their seatbelt, or smoked a cigarette, or drank too much one night? Show me a human being that claims to have walked a perfect line their entire life, and I'll show you a liar.

The judgmental tone taken on by people sitting safely behind a keyboard is cowardly. If you've ever known somebody to die of AIDS you would never say something so petty and mean spirited. But then again, maybe you would.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
It shouldn't, and for the people bringing it up they don't mean it. They're just hateful internet trolls.
gave you a rep.hope you spend the rest of the week trying to figure out why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies