Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Some wit posted that drivel a great many pages ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
It's funny, when people think you are hostile or hate children, because you comment on the little monsters you see. But you know what?. I'm sure some hands on counseling could fix that...quickly.

I didn't say, they were all in WM. I said, WM is NOT daycare. Control your freakin brats. As you said, children are everywhere. I say again, control your freakin brats.
I have kids and you make a valid point. Some parents turn their kids loose in stores and fast food restaurants. It is rude and it is unacceptable.
But this is not why I hate Walmart.
Inferior quality products. The stores are packed and there is no room to move. They will run a sale and have no inventory other than what is on the shelves. Often the packaging is damaged and taped together at the store.
They will have 20 registers and only 2 or 3 checkout people.
Then finally their questionable business practices.

Last edited by tinman01; 03-07-2010 at 08:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I think that people who surreptitiously snap camera phone pictures of anyone anywhere and post them on a website to be laughed at by others, is the epitome of a mean-spirited human being.

No matter 'tho, I suppose as what goes around comes around - eventually anyway.
Depends on how you look at it.
You see folks laughing at people, I see sadness.
All I see is when a Wal Mart comes into a neighborhood, town, etc., is a area going from commerce to decay. Towns of folks living good lives with hardware stores, corner grocery stores, even supermarkets, etc., to vacant strip malls, empty grocery stores, bankrupt hardware stores, to folks living on minimum wage and unemployment.

All you need to do is spend time in ArKansas and see the lock step mentality of "Mr. Sam" this and "Mr. Sam" that. Funny, though I would think that Mr. Sam is rolling in his grave today. Seeing his discount store of yesterday turned into a worldwide chain of cheap Communist slave labor made crap that goes into a Bitzkreig mode to wipe out every small business around, all thanks to his silver spooned money grubbing baby booming brats.

As you can tell I have no use for WalMart and their gestapo ways in regard to taking over Mayberry and turning it into Moscow and their dictatorship mantra of dealing with suppliers.

So yes, I guess what goes comes back around. Each time WalMart goes into a neighborhood, comes decay. Rather sad

Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
All I see is when a Wal Mart comes into a neighborhood, town, etc., is a area going from commerce to decay. Towns of folks living good lives with hardware stores, corner grocery stores, even supermarkets, etc., to vacant strip malls, empty grocery stores, bankrupt hardware stores, to folks living on minimum wage and unemployment.

All you need to do is spend time in ArKansas and see the lock step mentality of "Mr. Sam" this and "Mr. Sam" that. Funny, though I would think that Mr. Sam is rolling in his grave today. Seeing his discount store of yesterday turned into a worldwide chain of cheap Communist slave labor made crap that goes into a Bitzkreig mode to wipe out every small business around, all thanks to his silver spooned money grubbing baby booming brats.

As you can tell I have no use for WalMart and their gestapo ways in regard to taking over Mayberry and turning it into Moscow and their dictatorship mantra of dealing with suppliers.

So yes, I guess what goes comes back around. Each time WalMart goes into a neighborhood, comes decay. Rather sad
That would be my observation as well..

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

I said this before, but since you're new to this thread, I'll say it again. When Wal Mart came to my area, there was no downtown left to save. Wal Mart brought in some needed tax dollars that were leaking to other cities. I think this has actually been the case in many rural and semi-rural areas.

I agree that it is awful to make fun of people for their looks, and I am surprised a mod would do that.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I said this before, but since you're new to this thread, I'll say it again. When Wal Mart came to my area, there was no downtown left to save. Wal Mart brought in some needed tax dollars that were leaking to other cities. I think this has actually been the case in many rural and semi-rural areas.

I agree that it is awful to make fun of people for their looks, and I am surprised a mod would do that.
Then I suggest you review my post again.

Also, I hope that no other business decides to offer commerce in your area or you can guarantee that Wal Mart will do everything in it's power (and power it has) to terminate any plans brought forward to the county government. I have seen towns in rural areas defeat WalMart and have turned into thriving market places throught the innovation of business people, local Chamber of Commerce, and local government.
In my area we have had the Wal Mart invasion of two areas, both of which now have a Giant Wal Mart, dirty and cluttered, with empty store fronts surrounding them. Crime is up, business is down, but boy oh boy we can buy some good ole cheap goods with Chairman Mao's face all over the box.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:

Oh believe me, I'd say the same thing about photos snapped anywhere, but let's face it, as many times as this site has been shipped around via email with snarky, "witty" lines prefacing them, I'd say the main claim to fame is to laugh at people.

Nevertheless, your comment from above: "Seeing his discount store of yesterday turned into a worldwide chain of cheap Communist slave labor made crap that goes into a Bitzkreig mode to wipe out every small business around, all thanks to his silver spooned money grubbing baby booming brats." is spot on IMHO.

I'm sure that Sam spins in his grave given the distance between his business philosophy vs. his heirs when it comes to what Wal-Mart has become.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Wal-mart haters are like vegetarians and Prius drivers. They hate it because they enjoy being on a bandwagon, not because it makes any sense.
I am proud to be on a "bandwagon" against this sort of practice! Apparently, you are for slavery!

Quote:
Wal-Mart is Mexico's largest private-sector employer in the nation today, with nearly 150,000 local residents on its payroll. An additional 19,000 youngsters between the ages of 14 and 16 work after school in hundreds of Wal-Mart stores, mostly as grocery baggers, throughout Mexico—and none of them receives a red cent in wages or fringe benefits. The company doesn't try to conceal this practice: its 62 Superama supermarkets display blue signs with white letters that tell shoppers: OUR VOLUNTEER PACKERS COLLECT NO SALARY, ONLY THE GRATUITY THAT YOU GIVE THEM. SUPERAMA THANKS YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. The use of unsalaried youths is legal in Mexico because the kids are said to be "volunteering" their services to Wal-Mart and are therefore not subject to the requirements and regulations that would otherwise apply under the country's labor laws.
Quote:
A study conducted by three student researchers at the Autonomous University of Mexico documented violations of the 1999 agreement at a Wal-Mart Supercenter store in southern Mexico City. These included inadequate training and forcing youngsters to work a double shift, thereby exceeding the six-hour limit per day established by the accord. Then again, things could be a lot worse. In February 2005, Wal-Mart agreed to pay the U.S. Labor Department $135,540 in civil money penalties to settle charges of 24 child-labor violations. Some of the accusations involved minors who operated forklifts, chain saws and other potentially dangerous equipment. Stuffing groceries into plastic bags would seem considerably less hazardous.
Unpaid Teens Bag Groceries for Wal-Mart - Newsweek.com

Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I can't rep your post...have to spread it around some...
That's been our experience too. One small town we lived in had a run down, closed up down town square. A few little shops were left but they were specialty shops...a woodworker, a florist, a bank.....there were also grocery stores in town. Most people drove 15 miles to the neighboring county to get to a shopping area that included a WM. The 'big' city was 35 miles away and had lots more options.
The unemployment rate in this town was high for a long time. Sales tax dollars were being spent in the next county over.

A few years ago a Super Walmart came to town and hired people. People didn't have to leave town for basics, sales tax dollars have boosted the local economy. WM SAVED what was left of the business in that little town. The florist and woodworker in the mostly empty downtown didn't get displaced (not sure how they are doing in this current economy but WM didn't put them out of business). A quick check on-line shows that ALL of the grocery stores are still open as well.

It was a little different in the small town where I grew up. It had a thriving downtown when WalMart moved in. Print shops and a candy store, pizza joints, shoe stores, clothiers, jewelery, banks, book stores, accountant office, etc. 10+ years later the down town is still thriving.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh believe me, I'd say the same thing about photos snapped anywhere, but let's face it, as many times as this site has been shipped around via email with snarky, "witty" lines prefacing them, I'd say the main claim to fame is to laugh at people.

Nevertheless, your comment from above: "Seeing his discount store of yesterday turned into a worldwide chain of cheap Communist slave labor made crap that goes into a Bitzkreig mode to wipe out every small business around, all thanks to his silver spooned money grubbing baby booming brats." is spot on IMHO.

I'm sure that Sam spins in his grave given the distance between his business philosophy vs. his heirs when it comes to what Wal-Mart has become.
Oh, I agree Loop.
I posted it for one thing for folks to see the "Big Picture" Not to laugh, etc. but to think.

IMO this unchecked giant in some ways is enslaving an entire population. The kingdom (Sam's Children) and the surfs. Sounds radical, maybe. But their trend speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies