Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
???? What are you talking about

Without WALMART, Mom and Pop can make enough money to prosper.
You said the following
In some places Mom and Pop are paying over $10 an hour, because that is the minimum wage, and suzie has Health care because that is the law. Mom and Pop are doing fine because WALMART will not come to their town because the law forces them to pay a living wage.

You claim walmart will not come to a town because the law forces Walmart to pay a living wage.
i was wondering what law is in play that backs your claim that walmart will not come to that town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
This thread is so silly. The haters are simply spouting off bogus and unsubstantiated rationalizations for their irrational hate of Walmart. And when those fail, they make up new ones. When the new ones are disproven, they go back to the original ones and hope people don't notice. Thread over as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Main Street U.S.A. lies shuttered while the sheep flock to the lowest prices found at Wal Mart.

Thats the real reason I dont shop there.
Then the "real reason" you don't shop there is actually misinformation.

Quote:
Wal-Mart has no statistically significant impact on the overall size of the small business sector in the United States. When all is said and done, there are just as many small businesses that are just as profitable despite the presence of Wal-Mart.

Our research suggests that the popular belief that Wal-Mart has a significant negative effect on the size of the mom-and-pop business sector of the United States economy is statistically unfounded. After examining a plethora of different measures of small business activity and growth, examining both time series and cross-section data, and employing different geographic levels of data and different econometric techniques, it can be firmly concluded that Wal-Mart has had no significant impact on the overall size and growth of U.S. small business activity.

There is no question that Wal-Mart does cause some mom and-pop businesses to fail. However, those failures are entirely compensated for by the entry of other new small business elsewhere in the economy through the process of creative destruction.
Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Honestly, this post of yours makes little sense.

I don't know of an area with $10.00 moinimum wages - or any area that MANDATES an employer provide health insurance. Could you enlighten all of us which areas of the country do have such requirements.

Thanks
I believe it's talking about San Francisco. Not exactly an economic model that the rest of the country can or would want to follow.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
I think Boompa is referring to San Francisco, where the minimum wage is $9.79, and health insurance is mandatory for most employers. Here's the link to San Francisco's current labor laws.

General Services Agency : San Francisco Labor Laws - All Employers

What Boompa doesn't take into consideration is that San Francisco's cost of living is quite high.

As a comparison, the average Wal-Mart cashier in Fayetteville, AR starting salary is $8.35/hr, and they regularly earn over $9.00/hr, which isn't far off from the $9.79/hr required by San Francisco. They also have stock options available to them where the company matches their stock purchases, making Wal-Mart stock effectively half-price to employees, and they can choose to participate in the company's health insurance plans, or not. The thing of it is, though, that in San Francisco, their cost of living is more than 88% higher than it is in Fayetteville, AR. Which means, in order to live to roughly the same standard in San Francisco that they are living in Fayetteville, they would have to earn more than $16.00 per hour. So, the question isn't whether Wal-Mart pays a living wage, but do the mom-and-pops in San Francisco pay more than $16/hr, and do they offer any benefits equivalent to the stock options offered by Wal-Mart?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In some places Mom and Pop are paying over $10 an hour, because that is the minimum wage, and suzie has Health care because that is the law.
yes, that place is called Denmark. you pay $8 worth of kroner for a tube of toothpaste.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Swagger and DC - Thanks for the info. I did a search for $10.00 and came up with nothing

You are right - trying to compare San Fran to other locales is almost humorus. The cost of living issues alone destroy any point that Boompa was trying to make.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
I don't mind Walmart.

That said, I'm glad I make enough money that I can shop in much better places that aren't crowded with poor people and filled with poor quality stuff.

The only con I have about WalMart is that it makes it impossible for small retail businesses in rural areas to survive and destroys variety. On the other hand, it probably provides a larger range of products that probably wouldn't reach these places without a retailer with big legs like WalMart.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Boompa, consider Hawaii, full time hourly Walmart associates in HI. earn 13.77. I've been to a Walmart in HI. and purchased items made in HI.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 PM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
The REAL reason "people hate Wal-Mart":

The riff-raff of society shops there. It's just that simple.

The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies