Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
I say no. The fact that a majority of our citizens claim to be Christian does not imply that the country itself is Christian.

To begin with, we have enshrined the principle of separation of church and state in our Constitution. This does not prohibit religion from having an influence on politics; certainly, religious views have an enormous impact on politics in the US. However, it makes the state itself a secular one in which the rule of law, not religious doctrine, is the only legitimate source of authority. A Christian state (not nation, you're misusing that term...) would officially recognize Christianity as the state religion.

Second, while the majority of Americans are Christian many do not actively practice and those that do practice a bewildering array of different sects/variants of the religion thus leading to a lack of a clear 'Christian agenda.'

Third, Christian fundamentalism, represented in particular by evangelicals, is the most politicized brand of Christianity practiced in this country and those who adhere to it are overwhelmingly members of only one of our two viable political parties. Given that the other political party is extremely secular it can't be said that the party system is Christian, let alone the state.

Fourth, many laws that would be considered 'unChristian' exist and many rules one would expect to find in a Christian theocracy are not institutionalized.

Fifth, Churches must refrain from political activity to remain tax exempt.

Sixth, the notion that the US is a Christian country is actually surprisingly modern. The founding fathers were a mixed bag when it came to religion, with many being deists, and strongly resisted any attempt to formally integrate religion and the state. The fact that the Pledge of Allegiance includes 'under God' is often cited as proof that we're a Christian country but the Pledge didn't originally include that; it was added in the 1950s during McCarthyism as a means of juxtaposing us with atheist communism.

Need I go on?
Oh, you could go on but the christians, in their very sinful Pride and arrogance, will still insist they own this country....and won't let facts get in their way.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
There are many Christians in this country but the primary religion is the endless worship of MAMMON the God of Greed.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are many Christians in this country but the primary religion is the endless worship of MAMMON the God of Greed.
Aren't they the same thing?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,167 times
Is America a Christian Nation?

NOT IN MY HOUSE

Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I say yes. As long as we have a large portion of the country using religion as a valid means of defending their political views, and since the majority of the religious in this country are Christian, we are a Christian nation.
It is a Nation that professes to believe in a multitude of religions, none of which, we actually do.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 AM

64 posts, read 66,975 times
Of course we're a Christian nation. We always have been. Ask anyone outside the U.S.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 AM

497 posts, read 982,571 times
Considering how easy it is to label countries, ("xxx is a diverse, multicultural country" is probably the most overused) then I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that the USA is a Christian nation.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,577,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, those dreams that formed a country according to you...evil.

The dreams of all humans to pursue happiness...to you...evil.

The dreams that slaves had that one day this CHRISTIAN nation would stop treating them like animals...to you...evil.

The dreams of women that one day they would be equal citizens instead of property...to you...evil.

The dreams that brought us electricity and indoor toilets...to you...evil.

The dreams that built this country...to you...evil...

Gosh, I'm sure glad no one had your attitude EVER....you make christianity sound worse than it does already!!!
Why are you misrepresenting my words? Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never called anything evil?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
Considering how easy it is to label countries, ("xxx is a diverse, multicultural country" is probably the most overused) then I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that the USA is a Christian nation.
No, there's nothing wrong with it because it doesn't change a thing ...

but WHY does anyone NEED to say it???

Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
Of course we're a Christian nation. We always have been. Ask anyone outside the U.S.
You mean ask any "Christian", don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.