Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Agreed. And the country is getting less religous with time, as recent studies have verified. The further the distance between church and state, the better!
So violence and wild crazies running wild is better than civility?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,022 times
Note to all:

If it wasn't for a Christian America, your freedom to be on this site would be shut down.

Thank Jesus it's not like that.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
America is a country comprised of mostly Christians. So "yes" to an extent, because many of the concepts of Christianity were the basis of some of our moral values and laws in place in the national and state governments.

And from what I know, some of the founding fathers weren't "Christians" per-se but they believed in God regardless. Hencefourth why we always have "God" or "Creator" in our founding documents and state constitutions.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What you mean is that christians make up a majority. The nation itself isn't christian. Just like it isn't white.
It isn't?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
So violence and wild crazies running wild is better than civility?
We're not talking about violence and 'wild crazies' here. We're discussing religion and whether or not it's part of our government. Luckily, it's not, because were our government based (as you said earlier) on 'Christian values' then we would have to determine WHICH Christian values because not all Christians share the same values. I'm a Christian and so is my brother, but we surely don't share all the same values. For instance, my brother has tried to tell me I should have nothing to do with one of my sons who is not Christian. Excuse me, but I cannot find anything in the Bible that tells me to abandon my own son simply because he doesn't share my beliefs!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
Quote:
Note to all:

If it wasn't for a Christian America, your freedom to be on this site would be shut down.

Thank Jesus it's not like that.
Huh?

Where's the logic in that statement? Christians are the ones who constantly try to censor books from schools and libraries, limit free speech, impose their religion on the minority through legislating Christian values, limit the rights of those with whom they disagree (gays, for example, not to mention the so-called Christian justifications for slavery and segregation) --- the greatest defenders of free speech and equal rights in this nation are secular humanists and open-minded people of all faiths.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the ones you claim that can't handle the freedom are not Christians. because Christians can handle the freedom. which is why America is the last real christian country on the planet...everybody else is into all kinds of other madness. have you seen their country's?

Now, aren't you glad you live in a Christian America?
I'll tell you what I'm glad about:

I'm so glad that our founding fathers had the foresight to include the separation of church and state in The Constitution otherwise this great nation would have devolved into yet another theocratic hell hole governed by people like you a long time ago.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 PM

22 posts, read 20,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. And isn't there something written about the majority vs the minority? Something important I think.
Yes, but that is institutional. You're arguing that we're not a Christian state, and I agree. But we are a theistic nation. We are a nation largely made up of believers, and the notion that our rights come directly from God is well-cemented. Theism as a whole, and Protestantism in particular, is a significant part of the American "nation".

Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 PM

63 posts, read 136,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I'll tell you what I'm glad about:

I'm so glad that our founding fathers had the foresight to include the separation of church and state in The Constitution otherwise this great nation would have devolved into yet another theocratic hell hole governed by people like you a long time ago.
To my knowledge there is no 'separation of church and state' in the constitution at all. Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that was within a letter that Jefferson (who did believe in a god, and didn't seem to agree with most of the various religious teachings) wrote to a different religious group (Baptists?)- trying to let them know that the government would not select ANY religion as the 'official' one in any way, nor interfere with the religious practices of any religion (I believe save those who "worked ill towards their neighbor"). EDIT- I believe Jefferson held that religious beliefs should be a private matter, I agree with him on this 100%.

Quote:
We're discussing religion and whether or not it's part of our government. Luckily, it's not, because were our government based (as you said earlier) on 'Christian values' then we would have to determine WHICH Christian values because not all Christians share the same values. I'm a Christian and so is my brother, but we surely don't share all the same values. For instance, my brother has tried to tell me I should have nothing to do with one of my sons who is not Christian. Excuse me, but I cannot find anything in the Bible that tells me to abandon my own son simply because he doesn't share my beliefs!
Right you are MsMcQ LV! I do believe this was the intention all along - as I think there was a letter (wrote by Mr. Jefferson) somewhere to the effect that a particular 'flavor' of Christianity would gain more favor then others. NONE should have any more sway then any of the others - nor of any religion. While I am a Catholic I know my beliefs are not for everyone nor would I expect others to blindly believe what I do. That's what makes this country great - you are not forced to follow a religion (or lack thereof) and the government will not make you do so.

Now - as to the original post. We do seem to make allot of fuss over the saints and other Christian holidays here don't we? Christmas, Easter, Saint Valentines' day, Saint Patrick's day too. I also believe that most of the American population follows a Christian religion of some sort (although I don't have a chart with the percentages in front of me). This would seem to me to be a Christian nation - or one that holds it's ideals in some amount of favor.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well let's see..."god" is still in the national anthem, and we still put our hand on the holy bible in court

obviously a majority of the people in this country aren't born again christians, but this nation was founded on christian values. many of these values are still deeply entrenched within many of our nation's rural areas (i.e. the least influenced by outside cultures)

we are definitely still a "christian" nation
We have never been a Christian nation. The nation was not founded on any theocratic beliefs and practices. Read you history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies