Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not cursing anyone, what I'm saying is this...if you claim to be a Christian, and you owned a business, no, wait, lets say it were me...and I owned a flourishing business, in the midst of a whole lot of retired folks, I certainly would not over charge to the point of being higher then any other store that you have to drive further for lower prices...that is for certain...they are raping a community of retired folks and claim to be Christian...that is so Wrong!!!! I just spent time in the Amish community over the 4th of July weekend and had the opportunity to shop in they're huge grocery store and was amazed how much cheaper they're prices were on EVERYTHING!!!!!! And much better quality...now, THEY are Christains and are still making a killing financially. But the store I'm talking about near me, awful what they are doing to those retired folks. And they claim to be menonnite??????? Yeah right....sometimes they are a dollor or more, more on they're items, it is pathetic.

Blessings,
Creme
Agreed. -Boy, how I wish there was an Amish community here in Italy! Well, there is a type of mennonite group, but I haven't frequented it..

My thing is, if you say you are a Christian, then you have to walk the talk. Politicians know how to use the word "Christian" to get votes. But Christians aren't supposed to be involved in politics, voting, etc., so they're already off on the wrong foot.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 AM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Most of our founding fathers were secretly Free Masons, and it was "freedom to choose whatever religion you wanted to be". In England, where they came from, they were governed by religion...religions were the government at that time.

The founders did want separation of church and state, but not in the way many people think. They did not want the government to be able to create a national church like there had been in England. By "separation of church and state" they did not mean that the Bible should be removed from public life. Rush and Washington even said that if the Bible was removed, our country would not succeed but would fall.
I'm presently running my own small online business. I quit jobs to do it and it is quite profitable. But one thing I've noticed in the midst of it: being detached from customers (I don't meet 98% of them) means I work solely for profit. It pretty much diminishes my ability to empathize with anything other than the $$$'s. I learned even as a small business this is possible - and it is what mirrors the corporations in our times. People who are detached from the customer.

That being said, as a businessperson I've learned Jesus (Christianity) and business hardly line up. Business in a Capitalistic society is almost always invariably profit-driven. It can be conducted otherwise but it is very hard.

That being said, I work to pay off my student loans. Thanks be to my old church for assisting the young people with their debt (sarcasm). I am obsessed with wiping away my debt and have been beating it three-fold. My home church was more worried about their complacent middle class lives than the other people who were housed next to them who were living day-to-day. And they were the ones instilling that college education and incurring the debt was a very acceptable practice. Most churches think so.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
But Christians aren't supposed to be involved in politics, voting, etc., so they're already off on the wrong foot.
What makes you say the above?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Jesus.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Jesus.

Christ's commandments of Love are all I need to be truly free.

Peace!
brian

Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
We are nation of many Christians, I am one myself, but we are not a Christian nation.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Jesus.
Really?

Where?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
No, because what passes for popular religion in America bears almost no resemblance to the teachings of Christ Jesus.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Really?

Where?
Everywhere. Do you need to be spoon-fed everything? Did Jesus need to talk about every inch of your life? You can infer things from Scripture, it requires some critical thinking though.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Everywhere. Do you need to be spoon-fed everything? Did Jesus need to talk about every inch of your life? You can infer things from Scripture, it requires some critical thinking though.

I have NEVER seen, read nor inferred ANYTHING from scripture that would even remotely suggest that a person should not run for or hold office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies