Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
I can understand your love of genealogy and how the census has helped in the past with making those connections. But your answer does not address my concerns of possible abuse. The information that is asked for is much more easy to use by those who would abuse its purpose than anytime in history before - do you disagree?
Well, how do you think birthdate information would be abused?

I can't agree, because it puzzles me that people are afraid of information being abused. Of the ten questions on this year's census, what abuses are you afraid of? In the past, for instance, when they were asking for detailed information about where people worked, what they did, were they an employee, employer, contractor, etc, I could see an opportunity for this information to be used/abused by unions and anti-union forces. But that didn't happen then. So what abuses do you fear from this year's census?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
if you dont fill out the census, you are anti-american
How do you figure that?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Many posts in this thread imply that answering census questions is optional. It is not. The census was established in Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the U. S. Constitution, "Representatives...shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

Congress passed, and from time to time changes, the laws regulating the conduct of the census, as they are required to do by the Constitution. The Census Bureau submits the questions to Congress 2 years before the conduct of the census, so Congress can approve the questions to be asked. None of this is new.

You can go here http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/Questions_Planned_for_the_2010_Census_and_American _Community_Survey.pdf (broken link) and find the questions on the 2010 Census and the year they were first asked. This is not new this year.

If people don't like what is being done in the conduct of the Census, they should have been making their case with their representatives in Congress more than two years ago, when there was an opportunity for Congress to change the questions. Otherwise, wait a few years and ask the members of Congress to curtail the information being requested by the Census Bureau. In the meantime, obey the laws passed by your own representatives.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM

305 posts, read 360,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, how do you think birthdate information would be abused?

I can't agree, because it puzzles me that people are afraid of information being abused. Of the ten questions on this year's census, what abuses are you afraid of? In the past, for instance, when they were asking for detailed information about where people worked, what they did, were they an employee, employer, contractor, etc, I could see an opportunity for this information to be used/abused by unions and anti-union forces. But that didn't happen then. So what abuses do you fear from this year's census?
A birthdate, by itself, I am not afraid of abuse - But when the information is coupled with, often, the person's FULL name and their PRESENT address (all asked for on the census form) - that is all one needs for a decent background check...also, often enough, that info is all one needs for proof of identity. If one happens to also have another's SSN, their FULL identity can be stolen with ease...

Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
A birthdate, by itself, I am not afraid of abuse - But when the information is coupled with, often, the person's FULL name and their PRESENT address (all asked for on the census form) - that is all one needs for a decent background check...also, often enough, that info is all one needs for proof of identity. If one happens to also have another's SSN, their FULL identity can be stolen with ease...
I think this is a bit far-fetched. I understand your concerns, but if someone got hold of my SSN, they already had access to most of my personal information. The only time I use my SSN is when I file taxes, and my tax form would have all the information you are concerned with, plus some. The census questionaire doesn't put all this information together. Do you have some links to where census information in the past was compromised by identity thieves? 2000 wasn't that long ago, they asked for more information then, so were those records compromised?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Many posts in this thread imply that answering census questions is optional. It is not. The census was established in Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the U. S. Constitution, "Representatives...shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

Congress passed, and from time to time changes, the laws regulating the conduct of the census, as they are required to do by the Constitution. The Census Bureau submits the questions to Congress 2 years before the conduct of the census, so Congress can approve the questions to be asked. None of this is new.

You can go here http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/Questions_Planned_for_the_2010_Census_and_American _Community_Survey.pdf (broken link) and find the questions on the 2010 Census and the year they were first asked. This is not new this year.

If people don't like what is being done in the conduct of the Census, they should have been making their case with their representatives in Congress more than two years ago, when there was an opportunity for Congress to change the questions. Otherwise, wait a few years and ask the members of Congress to curtail the information being requested by the Census Bureau. In the meantime, obey the laws passed by your own representatives.
As I stated eariler in the thread, the need for exact birthdate is not answered. I plan to leave that question blank. What will happen? At the website, it says:
Quote:
Many residents who do not complete and return a 2010 Census form will receive a replacement form. If no form is mailed back, residents can expect a personal visit from a census taker some time after March 2010. The census taker will ask you the questions on the form, record your answers and then submit the form for your household.
so, it seems that i will possible get multiple forms, and then eventually a census taker at my door. If that happens, then I will pose the question to him. If it is not answered to my satisfaction, then he will not get that info. If taken to court on the issue, then I will defend my position. Someone else raised the same question that I have and until that question is readily answered and also my concerns are adressed adequately, I feel intelligent in protesting that the government recieve that particular info on my family. The worst they can do is fine me up to 100$...and if it comes to that, seems worth it to me.
Quote:
Title 13
Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I think this is a bit far-fetched. I understand your concerns, but if someone got hold of my SSN, they already had access to most of my personal information. The only time I use my SSN is when I file taxes, and my tax form would have all the information you are concerned with, plus some. The census questionaire doesn't put all this information together. Do you have some links to where census information in the past was compromised by identity thieves? 2000 wasn't that long ago, they asked for more information then, so were those records compromised?
Feel free to have your opinion...mine just differs. As far as I know, the Census has never been compromised - of course they also are not taking your SSN(most important piece of info, agreed?). The VA has been though which just settled a lawsuit because of that breach.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Another census thread. I personally consider the census pretty useless. The gov't. knows who is here and who isn't ( driver lisences, birth records etc. ). They should have used that money to expand Social Security programs. All the money being wasted on sending out census workers. Geez, send them a form and if they don't answer - fine. Who cares.

I'm having a problem with them counting the illegals as well. That way the federal tax Dollars can right go back to them and support the illegals. Sweet.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Feel free to have your opinion...mine just differs. As far as I know, the Census has never been compromised - of course they also are not taking your SSN(most important piece of info, agreed?). The VA has been though which just settled a lawsuit because of that breach.
I understand your concerns, I simply don't share them. But of course we are all free to have our own opinions. And just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean that I think your opinion is any less valid than mine. You are simply coming at the question from a different angle.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I understand your concerns, I simply don't share them. But of course we are all free to have our own opinions. And just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean that I think your opinion is any less valid than mine. You are simply coming at the question from a different angle.
Thank you for your respect. I can respect your angle as well that you do not have the same worries that I do. To each his own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies