Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

The observation that Afghanistan is the place empires go to die seems to be holding true. I do not think we will be able to dominate the world after we waste ourselves in that hell hole. In the long run loss of our world domination may be good for us as we will be able to invest in our selves instead of trying to "civilize" a bunch of feudal barbarians and religious fanatics.

For humanitarian reasons I would offer asylum to all the women and girls and ship a tanker full of KY Jelly for all the men left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I really do have the highest regard for you here as a member and find your posts highly informative, but how can you state with honesty these wars are forgotten?

We're reminded of them nearly everyday, especially when MSM rolls out news of troops being killed and injured in Afghanistan.

If you were wanting or wishing democrats or left wingers to plan million person marches on DC to end the wars, it's not going to happen. You're not going to see antiwar protests or mass dissention on a level like we all witnessed during the Vietnam era.

I think democrats like myself aren't happy with the way things have gone. In fact, besides hunting for Taliban, I for one would like to know what our mission is in Afghanistan. Besides trying to win hearts and minds.

Here's a brand new news story, five countries that hate America:

5 countries that hate America most- MSN Money

If there's a foreign policy expert member of this forum, maybe they can outline what America is doing wrong. I'm no expert, but IMO, America should stop poking it's nose in other countries affairs.
They managed to pull off some pretty big marches in 2008 but since then the numbers are wayyyy down. The coverage is wayyyyy down. So, "forgotten" might be an over-simplification but it's catchier than saying "the wars that we care about 78% less".

I think the main problem is that both political parties are next deep in the same mud and so they can't fully leverage thier attacks without indicting themselves at this point.

Here is an NPR article saying a lot of the same things.
Whatever Happened To The Anti-War Movement? : NPR

Here is the study they reference showing the fall-off in war protests.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhean...Contention.pdf

The graph on page 8 is pretty telling.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, but what happened to the marches? The body counts? The scathing articles in the news? Is it suddenly no longer cool to be anti-war?

Sadly, I think the anti-war fad passed with the election.
The left is not and never was anti-war. Never.

They only had problems with Iraq when they thought it would make the Republicans look bad.

Look at how many combat missions U.S. troops have engaged in in the past 100 years. Democrats are 10 times as likely to get us in combat than Republicans.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Here's a brand new news story, five countries that hate America:

5 countries that hate America most- MSN Money

If there's a foreign policy expert member of this forum, maybe they can outline what America is doing wrong. I'm no expert, but IMO, America should stop poking it's nose in other countries affairs.
The premise that those countries hate us doesn't neccessarily mean we are doing something wrong. Of course we ARE doing some things wrong but that doesn't make them somehow the "good guys".

Those are all muslim dominated countries that are largely going to resent us solely because of our ties to Israel. They are also going to largely dislike a number of western countries over cultural issues.

Additionaly, part of the problem is that the vast majority of those countries have significant governmental, economic and social issues.

Syria for example had a vast young population with unemployment over 30%, corruption and cronyism. Youth were taught heavily in religious schools. Ever seen a recipe for revolution? So, for years the Syrian government focused the countries problems externally (Show me a govt. that doesn't blame it's faults on outsiders including our own....).

Syria has pinned the blame on the jews, the west, the christians, the turks....pretty much everyone and everything to keep dissent aimed outside their borders. Eventually it stopped working and now they have civil war.

As the big military and CULTURAL force in the world AND because of our foreign entanglements with countries like Israel and Saudi Arabia....we make for a convenient and at times deserved target of distraction for all those tin-pot dictators and mullahs. You could make a very strong case that the Iraq war was as much Saudi Arabian prodding as any other country, but they can't do it openly.

So frankly, a lot of the hate is propaganda driven distraction made convenient by our own mis-steps.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Speaking as an independent that voted for Obama....largely due to hopes of getting our troops back home, I am growing increasingly upset with the democrats that demanded the troops home and now won't do anything.

Really, are you guys so far gone into the kool-aid that this is suddenly ok? Will you consider voting against the incumbents? Voting 3rd party?

Sadly, I am having a really hard time telling that Bush has left the whitehouse right now.

Please, thoughtful responses only...I don't want to have to read the usual stupidity from the partisans around here.
LOL

you got played! They NEVER EVER believed in getting out of the wars or even pulling troops out of the hundred or so nations we have stationed over seas.

What they did believe in, was using wars and the blood of Americans to score political points. If time has not proved the point to you, you will never learn.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The left is not and never was anti-war. Never.

They only had problems with Iraq when they thought it would make the Republicans look bad.

Look at how many combat missions U.S. troops have engaged in in the past 100 years. Democrats are 10 times as likely to get us in combat than Republicans.
Overly partisan simplification. Cindy Sheehan and Michael Moore....and others....have remained consistently anti-war.

But don't pat yourselves on the back too hard. Look how many reps sat quietly about the human and financial costs of the wars until obama got in office.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Speaking as an independent that voted for Obama....largely due to hopes of getting our troops back home, I am growing increasingly upset with the democrats that demanded the troops home and now won't do anything.

Really, are you guys so far gone into the kool-aid that this is suddenly ok? Will you consider voting against the incumbents? Voting 3rd party?

Sadly, I am having a really hard time telling that Bush has left the whitehouse right now.

Please, thoughtful responses only...I don't want to have to read the usual stupidity from the partisans around here.
There is no "thoughtful response" other than Obama has totally failed to keep his promise. It's now his war since he's had over four years to end it.

Like Ron Paul said, we marched right in and we can march right out.

We should leave Afghanistan immediately. We will NEVER win this war.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL

you got played! They NEVER EVER believed in getting out of the wars or even pulling troops out of the hundred or so nations we have stationed over seas.

What they did believe in, was using wars and the blood of Americans to score political points. If time has not proved the point to you, you will never learn.
Clearly you have not read my comments in this thread....sigh. Way to contribute.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Overly partisan simplification. Cindy Sheehan and Michael Moore....and others....have remained consistently anti-war..

Two certified nut cases. Those two are meaningless.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Some things should not be promised. This is one of them. He cannot control the circumstances over there and the job needs to be done as well as possible.

If they are pulled out to early, then any progress we will have made would be lost - then it would truly be a waste of money.

I know many people don't know why we went over there - but we are there, and the enemy is there. We might as well get as much done as possible.
There is no progress and it has been a total waste of money and manpower.

If you had to write a check to pay for this war, how much would it be worth to you?

I wouldn't pay a dime. We need to exit Afghanistan immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies