Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hangun open carry - In favour or against..?
IN FAVOUR 57 56.44%
IN FAVOUR,CONDITIONALLY 23 22.77%
AGAINST 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:44 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times

Advertisements

People are carrying guns to dog parks to protect their dogs in case of a fight???
Fight breaks, they said they would shoot to protect their dog, or because their
dog was kicked by an owner???????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
This fantasy of shooting eruptions while it seems realistic,it is totally wrong.

The prevailing sentiment is fear,when u face a person who carries...
So,the...chemistry between 2 strangers who carry is much like ...USA-USSR ,during the 1960s...
No one would fire a single shot first...
Therefore,u have ...permanent peace...

Indeed,there never was a..." shootout " between USA-USSR...

So,there will be no shootouts between qualified people who carry,even if they have strong ego & temper...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
People are carrying guns to dog parks to protect their dogs in case of a fight???
Fight breaks, they said they would shoot to protect their dog, or because their
dog was kicked by an owner???????????????????
That is silly and the kind of "sky is falling" comment one would expect from a member of the "Fraidy Bunch". Have anything to back that up?

I believe in every state that has CCW it is illegal to use lethal force against anyone/anything that threatens YOUR life or that of family members (human) unless you percieve an immediate threat of lethal force (or in castle doctrine/stand your ground states). Any shooting where a death occures is considered homocide until proven otherwise as a justifiable self-defense shooting.

As for the comments of weapons being taken away....many of us choose to get better training including retention/counter-retention to prevent just such an action. Again, too much Hollywood.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,653 times
What gets me is the absolute unwillingness of anyone at the national level to have serious discussion as to why over half of this country wants to rearm themselves in the last 40 years....................
Now I have carried a gun for some level of govt since I was 18, and Im 4 decades removed from 18.....................

My point is every one wants to debate gun ownership,gun rights, gun carry, but do stay away from the core problem of that desire

What do you think

Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
This fantasy of shooting eruptions while it seems realistic,it is totally wrong.

The prevailing sentiment is fear,when u face a person who carries...
So,the...chemistry between 2 strangers who carry is much like ...USA-USSR ,during the 1960s...
No one would fire a single shot first...
Therefore,u have ...permanent peace...

Indeed,there never was a..." shootout " between USA-USSR...

So,there will be no shootouts between qualified people who carry,even if they have strong ego & temper...
a good argument but not the profile of someone who needs and uses a gun and sadly even justifiable use of a weapon is now punished.
bottom line the state does not want you defending yourself for any reason.
no better illustrated than the goetz case, see link.
Bernhard Goetz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is silly and the kind of "sky is falling" comment one would expect from a member of the "Fraidy Bunch". Have anything to back that up?

I believe in every state that has CCW it is illegal to use lethal force against anyone/anything that threatens YOUR life or that of family members (human) unless you percieve an immediate threat of lethal force (or in castle doctrine/stand your ground states). Any shooting where a death occures is considered homocide until proven otherwise as a justifiable self-defense shooting.

As for the comments of weapons being taken away....many of us choose to get better training including retention/counter-retention to prevent just such an action. Again, too much Hollywood.
I believe here in Pa, you have to be "reasonably certain" your life is at risk, I mean how can you be absolutly certain your life is at risk? If some on has a pistol trained on me, thats enough for me!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Soldiers, marines, police are supervised! Who's supervising civilians?
I was going to say that no one is supervising the civilians but that isn't always true. It should be but it's not. As long as we are are abiding by the law of the land, there should be no reason to supervise us.

Quote:
Any kind of "carry" with untrained, unconditioned civilians is a recipe for disaster. As I've said elsewhere, I'm just waiting to read a story about some bar
I've never had official training but I've been around firearms all of my life. When I applied for my concealed carry license, I learned the local laws. I also started watching the different self defense shows on TV. The first thing that is taught is how not to get yourself into a dangerous situation. The second thing is how to get yourself out of a dangerous situation whether though escape or through conflict diffusion. Only when things have escalated and all other options don't work do you use force to defend yourself. My first training class is scheduled for next month.

Quote:
As I've said elsewhere, I'm just waiting to read a story about some bar room brawl with a twist from an old western movie.
This should be enough proof. It has been legal to carry into establishments that serve alcohol for decades in dozens of states. It has been legal here in MS since 1974. 36 years later you are still waiting on an "old west" style shoot out.

Quote:
"You yellow belly Toyota driving pole cat talking trash about my Hummer? Thems fight'n words, you best be ready to draw!"
Your "fightin' words" comment is just plain wrong. Carrying or not, I wouldn't provoke anyone. If someone provoked me, I wouldn't take the bait.

Quote:
Civilians look at their Colt .45s like an extension of their sex organs. Experienced and conditioned LE officers, soldiers and marines look at their weapons as tools.
An extension? Really? Have you looked up the psychological meaning of "projection"?

Quote:
Ego will conquer common sense every time. Your people skills suck bad.
Sounds like projection again. I've made it 41 years without a single fist fight much less a gun fight. When anger takes over, you are at a disadvantage. Level headed and clear thinking is always the best way to go through life.

To me it sounds like you are the one that couldn't be trusted to carry. You are constantly using words and phrases that provoke people. That's why I bought up the projection angle. If you feel that you can't trust yourself to carry responsibly, how can anyone else be trusted?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
If Goetz did not do freakish things,like vegetarianismrunning fior office as a loonie independent & raising...squirrels,then he would have been more trustworthy...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
If Goetz did not do freakish things,like vegetarianismrunning fior office as a loonie independent & raising...squirrels,then he would have been more trustworthy...
Isn't it a little early to be drinking infront of the keyboard? Don't drink & carry, don't drink & drive, don't drink & type.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 10,123 times
I carry concealed. I'm not against carrying openly but to some criminals it can mean shot guy with gun first or wait for guy with gun to leave before I rob the kwike mart. So I opt for concealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies