Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times

Advertisements

It hit me like a ton of bricks. It's so simple, so elegant, so dastardly in its effectiveness, it should've been seen earlier than today....but wasn't.

Rent prices need to go up.

Think about it. Are homes too expensive? NO! If they were, the government wouldn't be trying to prop up the housing market. They're supposed to be this expensive.

What the U.S. needs to do is raise rents - nationwide. Simple, effective. Dastardly. Home prices don't have to fall if rents increase dramatically. What we need to do it make it just as expensive to rent as to buy. I suggest taxes on rents. New, wonderful taxes. Rents should correlate to housing. In fact, rents should include things like "Roof gonna cave in sometime this year, better get it replaced" fees and "The dang 'ol lawn mower died" surcharge and the ever popular "ARGH! #$%# KIDS AND THEIR #$%#$ BASEBALLS!!! tax."

Look, if you made renting the same as buying a home, you'd make people want to buy a home. But....and here's the kicker...make owning a home cheaper than renting. See? That's the secret. Renters know it. It's cheaper to rent. But what if it wasn't? Paradigm shift, people.......paradigm shift.

Say it with me. Feel it...... as it rolls off the tongue. No more housing problems. Renting would only be used by those who didn't want to upkeep a house. Same as buying furniture, really. You know, you can rent furniture or you can buy it. Who buys it? EVERYONE BUYS IT.

But, why? Why, 70Ford? Why do they buy it?

Because it makes more economic sense to buy than rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It hit me like a ton of bricks. It's so simple, so elegant, so dastardly in its effectiveness, it should've been seen earlier than today....but wasn't.

Rent prices need to go up.

Think about it. Are homes too expensive? NO! If they were, the government wouldn't be trying to prop up the housing market. They're supposed to be this expensive.

What the U.S. needs to do is raise rents - nationwide. Simple, effective. Dastardly. Home prices don't have to fall if rents increase dramatically. What we need to do it make it just as expensive to rent as to buy. I suggest taxes on rents. New, wonderful taxes. Rents should correlate to housing. In fact, rents should include things like "Roof gonna cave in sometime this year, better get it replaced" fees and "The dang 'ol lawn mower died" surcharge and the ever popular "ARGH! #$%# KIDS AND THEIR #$%#$ BASEBALLS!!! tax."

Look, if you made renting the same as buying a home, you'd make people want to buy a home. But....and here's the kicker...make owning a home cheaper than renting. See? That's the secret. Renters know it. It's cheaper to rent. But what if it wasn't? Paradigm shift, people.......paradigm shift.

Say it with me. Feel it...... as it rolls off the tongue. No more housing problems. Renting would only be used by those who didn't want to upkeep a house. Same as buying furniture, really. You know, you can rent furniture or you can buy it. Who buys it? EVERYONE BUYS IT.

But, why? Why, 70Ford? Why do they buy it?

Because it makes more economic sense to buy than rent.
The problem with the high housing prices is that you can't PAY for a house. So if you can't pay for an aperment as well then living in your car looks really good.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Is the OP being sarcastic or does he really believe in this idea?

Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Is the OP being sarcastic or does he really believe in this idea?
Yes

Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,387 times
Housing is headed downward so fast, by this time next year they will be 25-40% lower. I'm a renter who's owned 3 houses, and laugh at the fools who bought during the last 5 years.
Yeah, raise my rent, go ahead. I'll find 100 desperate fools willing to take anything to rent their underwater mcmansions for pennies on the dollar. Thanks for the 'housing stickulus' Prez. Obozo!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Well it is counter intuitive but rents could go up. The reason is that everyone is moving out of houses and into rentals so rental demand is going up and housing prices are going down. We will see The big P is trying hard to have another bubble. we will see if it works for him. Personaly I don't think so.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Could i really get more for rent right now, we have not charged our renters a price hike in 2 years, we treat our tenants good, we have a home in I.E. AND O.C. CALIF. One tenant is giving a 60 day notice, should i up the rent for the new tenants. The home is a beautiful 2 story with 3300 sq ft. And a 3 car garage.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,437 times
There were rumblings that "O" was floating the idea of eliminating the real estate tax deduction and the home interest deduction for any family that earns over $250,000. My understanding is he got very little support from anyone. The day that "radical" idea became law, I would stop paying the mortgage on my underwater house, live rent free for 12-16 months and then go rent for 2/3 of the price of my mortgage. The ONLY reason I am still in my house is the income tax advantage, take that away and I will abuse the system the way so many have over the past few years. That is the problem with "O"....he has never been the "BOSS" of ANYTHING. He takes a situation and comes up with the WORST possible ideas to solve them........like Newt Gingrich said, I'm not surprised that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize with absolutely no qualifications, I am surprised that the American people gave him the Presidency with those same qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies