Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm sure my father just loves spending a year on unemployment at less than 1/4 of his former income. I guess he should just demand someone give him a job- after all, aren't all employers clamoring for 54 year old workers?
That's the basic thing. I seriously doubt there are any professionals who used to make $40k-$80k per year who are happy to "just site around watching Jerry Springer" making only $1800 per month and watching their credit rating go to hell as their mortgage falls behind in payments.

Let's just be honest and admit Republicans hate regular people and that's why they're constantly trying to take a dump on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Sure, there are a lot of good people who need the unemployment $$$ they get and there are plenty of others who are scumbags who will sit at home and watch Jerry Springer until they die collecting our tax dollars. Where is the motivation to find a new job? I am freaking sick of it. SIX MONTHS MAX!!! Then if you are lying in the street hungry and broke...too bad. Motivation is the key. As long as our moronic government keeps shelling out money, the motivation factor is at zero.
Just stopped in to say that if there ever is an "ignorant thread" contest, this one could be a finalist.

Who are you to call people scumbags? Really ... who are you? People like you demonstrate the social skill of wild dogs fighting over an old bone.

The better question is why you seem so worried about the pittance being allocated to unemployment, but not the Trillions being handed over to mega wealthy bankers and wall street crooks.

Stop that looting of Trillions, and give the people their money (a check for $300,000 for every family, with money to spare) and there would be no financial crisis or unemployment issue.

Our country has a bullet wound in the head, and you're worried about a hang nail.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Sure, there are a lot of good people who need the unemployment $$$ they get and there are plenty of others who are scumbags who will sit at home and watch Jerry Springer until they die collecting our tax dollars. Where is the motivation to find a new job? I am freaking sick of it. SIX MONTHS MAX!!! Then if you are lying in the street hungry and broke...too bad. Motivation is the key. As long as our moronic government keeps shelling out money, the motivation factor is at zero.
Unemployment is meant to be a temporary fix not a permanent lifestyle.

I am not heartless and I understand being suddenly unemployed is a gut wrenching situation.

I would like to see the six month benefit period whittled down to three months maximum without extensions coupled with an increase in benefits.

Unemployment should be 80% of your income to a maximum amount of 2x the poverty rate which would come close to matching most peoples after tax income. The increase would make travel and relocation for a job possible with an "employment bonus" payable upon finding employment.

Assume a worker earns $20 an hour and is laid off. Unemployment should be $600 per week plus the cost of COBRA for up to three months. A realistic cap would be $1,000 per week. Upon finding a job a bonus payment of 4 times the weekly benefit, $2,400 in this example, would be made enabling the worker to relocate if required. Over a three month period the total benefit would be $10,200 which would enable people to get back on their feet.

Take Georgia for example.

Quote:
Effective July 1, 2007, the minimum is $44 per week. The maximum is $330 for claims filed on or after July 1, 2008. The amount an individual will receive is based on the amount of wages earned in the base period.
$330, are you serious? At $1,428 a month this doesn't begin to provide the most basic for most people and how can you expect them to relocate or travel looking for a job when they can't pay their light bill? Wouldn't $2,598 work a whole lot better towards enabling someone to do whatever it took to find a job with the "bonus" at the end helping to defray the cost of moving to Texas if that is what it took?

But three months (13 weeks) maximum.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Unemployment is meant to be a temporary fix not a permanent lifestyle.

I am not heartless and I understand being suddenly unemployed is a gut wrenching situation.

I would like to see the six month benefit period whittled down to three months maximum without extensions coupled with an increase in benefits.

Unemployment should be 80% of your income to a maximum amount of 2x the poverty rate which would come close to matching most peoples after tax income. The increase would make travel and relocation for a job possible with an "employment bonus" payable upon finding employment.

Assume a worker earns $20 an hour and is laid off. Unemployment should be $600 per week plus the cost of COBRA for up to three months. A realistic cap would be $1,000 per week. Upon finding a job a bonus payment of 4 times the weekly benefit, $2,400 in this example, would be made enabling the worker to relocate if required. Over a three month period the total benefit would be $10,200 which would enable people to get back on their feet.

Take Georgia for example.

$330, are you serious? At $1,428 a month this doesn't begin to provide the most basic for most people and how can you expect them to relocate or travel looking for a job when they can't pay their light bill? Wouldn't $2,598 work a whole lot better towards enabling someone to do whatever it took to find a job with the "bonus" at the end helping to defray the cost of moving to Texas if that is what it took?

But three months (13 weeks) maximum.

That would work fine so long as you can manage not to eat for 3 months, become homeless and unemployable as a result. The average re-employment cycle in 2010 is something around 32-36 weeks, and that is only going to get worse as economic conditions worsen.

And the bad part is that most of this re-employment has resulted in lower paying jobs and less hours .. less or no benefits.

But don't worry about being perceived as "heartless". You're going to suffer from this depression like most everyone else ... you just haven't experienced enough of it yet to figure that out. Just as a high tide raises all boats, the draining of the harbor will leave most boats run aground.

We are in the early stages right now ... the real tough stuff has not yet arrived. Better learn how to grow your own food, and stop worrying about others receiving unemployment benefits.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Your points are valid in that people SHOULD be working IF they are able to find work. That IF is where I disagree with you a little. I believe the long term unemployed (those laid off for more than a reasonable amount of time; say 4 months) should take ANY job that they are able to get to get off tax payer money. And if this were a normal economy (say 3-6% unemployment) that would be pretty easy to do. However, many are simply unable to find jobs period. Fresh out of college kids who may have lost their jobs just move back to mom and dads house and wait out the storm... those who are older with a mortage, kids, and other expenses, they will have the hardest time getting back to work.

So I agree and disagree with you. I think you are a little out of touch with the reality of this economy, which is being killed even further by our sh*tty administration. Things really are so bad that even if you are willing to take any job (which you should after being on unemployment for a certain period of time) you simply can't find anything.

In these extreme situations I feel we should extend benefits to those who need them. As for what we do with the people milking out the unemployment benefits, not so sure.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The same people who are Anti-Unemployment Benefits would not hesitate to run and apply for them should they become laid off employees. Or milk their city, county, state or federal government out of partial salaries (pensions) for decades when they retire from their gov't jobs.

Just like the people who complain about government waste don't hesitate to cash their Social Security checks and take Medicare benefits.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
I love how everyone thinks I am a Republican...lol

Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,271 times
Quote:
It is not that the motivation to go out and find a job isn't there it is that there aren't jobs to be found. That is the isue. Where are the Jobs? We need sustained economic growth.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Colorado unemployment - you file where your company is based out of, which in my case, would be Colorado.

Your Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA):

$487.00

This works out to a HUGE $12.17 an hour. (Before taxes.) Let's assume a 15 percent tax on it. It's now an ASTOUNDING $10.35 an hour. Which, as a 38 year old husband and father of two, it's pretty amazing. Sure does beat working as a senior IT/telecomm technician somethere. WHERE DID I PUT THE BON BONS? ?!!

Your Maximum Benefit Amount (MBA):

$12,662.00
OMG SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

My rent in Seattle for a 3 bedroom apartment
$1380 -

+associated monhtly bill crap
~$500

='s roughly $1900 A month. to stay "afloat."

Poverty level in Seattle = $45.076
Under that level you qualify for public assistance.

Your post might make sense for where you are and for those you know in Kentucky. The world is much bigger than Kentucky.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
You do know that my entire post was meant to poke at those who ABUSE the system. Hence the reason why I said this:

Sure, there are a lot of good people who need the unemployment $$$ they get

It's ok that it has become a bash-fest of me. There are those who are abusing the system and are not motivated to find a job and they need to be OFF OUR PAYROLL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies