Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM

418 posts, read 487,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How ironic. The greediness of a for-profit, private health insurer may have ensured the passage of health care reform legislation.

Anthem Blue Cross a boon to Obama's healthcare efforts - latimes.com

What's stopping you from entering the insurance market and undercutting their price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:54 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
What's stopping you from entering the insurance market and undercutting their price?
This is a dumb argument that is thrown around constantly.

"Hey if you think x is so easy why don't you do it"

Because different people are good at different things. Just because I'm a good CEO doesn't mean I'd be a good garbageman.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default say Monopoly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
This is a dumb argument that is thrown around constantly.

"Hey if you think x is so easy why don't you do it"

Because different people are good at different things. Just because I'm a good CEO doesn't mean I'd be a good garbageman.
I agree. It is dumb.

But, the really stupid part of the question, "why don't you just start your own health insurance company and undercut their prices?" is because it's not realistic.
The Health Insurance industry is monopolized by just a few giant players nationwide.

That is also why the idea of "buying across state lines" that has been proposed by the republicans is nothing more than a smoke screen to make stupid people believe that they care about this problem and they're trying to help. Truth is, "buying across state lines" is the same as "keeping things the way they are"... The people making this suggestion know exactly what the truth is. The Health Insurance lobby is telling them exactly what to say to protect their interests.

This report was written in 2006 --long before Health Care Reform was being discussed. There is therefore no bias in the report because of our current debate.
This article is just a statement of facts about the Health Insurance industry.

Keep in mind that since 2006 there have been many more mergers.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Consolidation among health insurers is creating near-monopolies in virtually all reaches of the U.S. - with the most dominant firms grabbing more market share by several percentage points a year - according to a study released Monday.
Data from the American Medical Association shows that in each of 43 states, a handful of top insurers have gained such a stronghold that their markets are considered "highly concentrated" under Department of Justice guidelines, often far exceeding the thresholds that trigger antitrust concerns.
The study also shows that in 166 of 294 metropolitan areas, or 56%, a single insurer controls more than half the business in health maintenance organization (HMO) and preferred provider networks (PPO) underwriting.
"This problem is widespread across the country and it needs to be looked at," said Dr. Jim Rohack, an AMA trustee and physician in Temple, Texas. "The choices that patients have now are more difficult."
Study confirms health monopoly fears - MarketWatch

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-08-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I agree. It is dumb.
I think it is a brilliant comment.

Our healthcare industry is a market-based system that suffers from a lack of competition due to bad regulations.

You (You = anybody) can't start your own health insurance company because we have too many artificial, legislatively-created barriers to entry.

Last edited by le roi; 03-08-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How ironic. The greediness of a for-profit, private health insurer
Based on 2009 data, with revenue of 61.3 billion and net income of 2.49 billion you get a profit margin of 4%. By the same token, Coca-Cola was more greedy with a profit margin of 18%. Isn't it my right to have a Coke and a smile at a reasonable price?

Companies exist to make a profit (or break even in the case of the not for profit BCBS ones). Lose money and you will eventually go out of business. If Anthem/WellPoint goes out of business then millions go uninsured.

WellPoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Coca-Cola Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I think it is a brilliant comment.

Our healthcare industry is a market-based system that suffers from a lack of competition due to bad regulations.

You (You = anybody) can't start your own health insurance company because we have too many artificial, legislatively-created barriers to entry.
YOU should consider becoming a political spin doctor.

You seem to have natural talent for twisting facts into something other than what they really are...

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
The thing I don't get is that everyone still confuses Health Insurance with Health Care. Doing away with 3rd party, for profit insurance companies would cut costs and it would not change the health care that we receive. Insurance companies do not provide care.
The goal of profits or at least not losing money creates efficiency otherwise you get some bloated thing that resembles our federal government.

Quote:
Yep, they support paying AETNA's CEO more than $24,000,000 (twenty-four million) a year.
Running companies of this size requires talent. Talent costs money. I have an MBA will run AETNA for 1/2 that. Let's see how long it takes the board of directors to consider my offer.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM

377 posts, read 326,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
...Those 40 million who died need to be replaced by legalizing all those illegals. I think you meant 40,000.
If they're going to die then they'd best do it and decrease the surplus population.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM

377 posts, read 326,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The goal of profits or at least not losing money creates efficiency otherwise you get some bloated thing that resembles our federal government.

Running companies of this size requires talent. Talent costs money. I have an MBA will run AETNA for 1/2 that. Let's see how long it takes the board of directors to consider my offer.
The goal of profits sometimes creates efficiency.

But a lot of the time it creates shortcuts, poor products/services, fraud and outright criminality.

Maximizing profit is not a practice in morality, ethics or efficiency as far as I'm concerned.

Social Security is much more efficient than any privatized counterpart (according to administrative costs).

Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Default How about those new $20,000 Deductible policies???...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Well, to me their "talent" is just a side issue....

Our country's Health Care payment system should NOT be a third party, for profit company whose first concern is the bottom line and who is more concerned about stockholders than about their insured. Our country can't afford to continue paying 24,000,000 a year per person for their "talent"...

These companies are adding monumentally to the cost of our health care.

You want to talk about business and compare Health Insurance to Coca Cola??? Well, let me tell you what I think.
My ability to obtain health care is not in the same category as "having a coke and a smile".... not even close.

This is the only percentage that I care about....

In 4 years, at the present rate of increase... the cost of my health insurance will have doubled in premium.

You probably think that the new $20,000 deductible policies that they're now offering are another smart business move -- as well.
Those policies are just another way for health insurers to continue taking money from people every month without having to offer any service.
It really takes a lot of talent to figure out ways to do that, doesn't it?

You may have an MBA but I think you're pretty stupid.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-08-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies