U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
 
26,684 posts, read 26,830,621 times
Reputation: 7931

Advertisements

How ironic. The greediness of a for-profit, private health insurer may have ensured the passage of health care reform legislation.

Quote:
Kristin Binns is WellPoint's chief spokeswoman. Since news of the rate hikes broke, Anthem and WellPoint executives have received hate mail and death threats. "The last three weeks," she said, "have been like three years."
Anthem Blue Cross a boon to Obama's healthcare efforts - latimes.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: between Ath,GR & Mia,FL...
2,574 posts, read 2,229,835 times
Reputation: 327
The slimy socialists of that LA Times,which I hope will go bankrupt,as all paid papers should go,once again told a lie...
The average increase is probably single digit...
Some punk may have got 39% & made that extreme, one-off,rare & isolated case a flagship of the progressive's attack on American healthcare...

Clear provocation...I wonder what kind of... , pay money to buy the LA Times...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
35,575 posts, read 23,059,899 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How ironic. The greediness of a for-profit, private health insurer may have ensured the passage of health care reform legislation.



Anthem Blue Cross a boon to Obama's healthcare efforts - latimes.com


So because the insurance regulators in the People's Republic of California are largely ineffective, I now want to subsidize the gold plated policies of union members and other payoffs to the Democrat's supporters?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
3,391 posts, read 4,604,871 times
Reputation: 2045
If the Democrats pass this garbage bill, they are signing their political death warrants. They'll be roundly voted out of office come November, even more so than they will be already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
25,978 posts, read 17,320,609 times
Reputation: 7984
So you strongly believe health insurance companies must be allowed to raised their rates however much they please with no interference from the government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,808 posts, read 94,123,097 times
Reputation: 48965
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How ironic. The greediness of a for-profit, private health insurer may have ensured the passage of health care reform legislation.



Anthem Blue Cross a boon to Obama's healthcare efforts - latimes.com
printed today, the raise according to the article was reported last November but hasn't taken effect yet and word is trinkleing down. I spent a few years in human resourses and know the increase increase in primiums are not normally even known until te summer or fall. this was in Ca if you noticed, and may apply only to state employees for all we know. I am not putting much into such an article..You are because you want to hope, I think you are dreaming...

NIt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,894 posts, read 17,187,494 times
Reputation: 6460
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
printed today, the raise according to the article was reported last November but hasn't taken effect yet and word is trinkleing down. I spent a few years in human resourses and know the increase increase in primiums are not normally even known until te summer or fall. this was in Ca if you noticed, and may apply only to state employees for all we know. I am not putting much into such an article..You are because you want to hope, I think you are dreaming...

NIt



Yep there are a lot of dreamers out there, these days, and for many different reasons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
 
5,714 posts, read 14,248,143 times
Reputation: 2937
Default I support Medicare for all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

So you strongly believe health insurance companies must be allowed to raised their rates however much they please with no interference from the government.
Apparently, they do.

Sadly, there is no protection in the proposed Health Care Bill to prevent these increases from continuing. The bill that has been proposed gives Health Insurance companies more power, forces people to become insured and pays them with taxpayer money. This bill should not be passed.

The thing I don't get is that everyone still confuses Health Insurance with Health Care. Doing away with 3rd party, for profit insurance companies would cut costs and it would not change the health care that we receive. Insurance companies do not provide care.

Yep, they support paying AETNA's CEO more than $24,000,000 (twenty-four million) a year.

Meanwhile, more and more people are uninsured (more than 40 thousand Americans died last year because they could not afford health care)

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-08-2010 at 11:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
 
6,891 posts, read 7,618,648 times
Reputation: 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Apparently, they do.

Sadly, there is no protection in the proposed Health Care Bill to prevent these increases from continuing. The bill that has been proposed gives Health Insurance companies more power, forces people to become insured and pays them with taxpayer money. This bill should not be passed.

The thing I don't get is that everyone still confuses Health Insurance with Health Care. Doing away with 3rd party, for profit insurance companies would cut costs and it would not change the health care that we receive. Insurance companies do not provide care.

Yep, they support paying AETNA's CEO more than $24,000,000 (twenty-four million) a year.

Meanwhile, more and more people are uninsured (more than 40 million Americans died last year because they could not afford health care)
Only 24 million, pennies! Heck, one retired CEO of UnitedHealthCare used to rake in 200 mil and retired with a hefty 500,000,000 in stock options.

Those 40 million who died need to be replaced by legalizing all those illegals. I think you meant 40,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 AM
 
5,714 posts, read 14,248,143 times
Reputation: 2937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Only 24 million, pennies! Heck, one retired CEO of UnitedHealthCare used to rake in 200 mil and retired with a hefty 500,000,000 in stock options.

Those 40 million who died need to be replaced by legalizing all those illegals. I think you meant 40,000.
Thanks for catching that. I fixed my typo.

40,000 Americans died last year because they couldn't afford health care.

Back to the topic of this thread...

They're raising rates on the individual market, people who can't get employer coverage, to purge unprofitable people...

Quote:

BILL MOYERS: Look at this list of the total compensation for the top ten healthcare CEOs in 2008. Aetna, 24 million. CIGNA, your old company, 12 million. WellPoint, nine million. That's her. Coventry Health, nine million. Centene, eight million. Amerigroup, five million. Humana, four million. Health Net, four million. Universal American, three million. UnitedHealth Group, compensation, three million. Their profits come from the difference between-- what we pay in premiums and what they pay for our health care, right?

WENDELL POTTER: That's right.

BILL MOYERS: So they have this incentive you talk about to deny health care as often as possible.

WENDELL POTTER: Oh, absolutely. And they deny health care. And the reason why we have so many people who are uninsured and a growing number of people who are underinsured is precisely because of that. They are actually running business away-- they want to get rid of unprofitable customers. They've been doing that for a long time, and Congress is just now catching onto that. Yeah, one of the reasons why they've had to jack up the rates so much in the individual market to make money, is that they have put more people into that market by running off small businesses, for example. They're purging small businesses.

BILL MOYERS: Yeah, I noticed in the story just at the middle of this week that these rate increases are aimed at individuals who can't get coverage through the workplace. They have to buy this on their own, as individuals, and at small businesses. Up to 50 employees. I mean, they have to know, as the Congressman said, that a lot of people cannot afford health insurance. So, what do they expect to happen?
Bill Moyers Journal . Transcripts | PBS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top