Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,011 times

Advertisements

It's a text book from a Christian publishing company. I fail to see how this is a headline. It's an Evangelical company, what did you expect? You don't have to buy textbooks from that company. And if an Evangelical chooses to homeschool their children and provide them with textbooks from an Evangelical publishing company, that is their right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Textbooks of every stripe carry lies, distortions, and omissions. Just because it's a textbook does not shield it from the extraneous views of the authors. Science textbooks are no exception, no matter who the intended audience is.
I am a Catholic Christian.

I see Jerry Coyne, an ecology and evolution professor. No doubt he has strong views on the so called "science" of global warming. You know, that is where the debate is all settled and they would never fix or lie about data.

What disturbs me most of late is what appears to be a war against Christians attacking them on issues such as evolution in order to attack views on moral issues.

The Vatican's View of Evolution: The Story of Two Popes
Quote:
Pope John Paul II revisited the question of evolution in a 1996 a message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. Unlike Pius XII, John Paul is broadly read, and embraces science and reason. He won the respect of many scientists in 1993, when in April 1993 he formally acquitted Galileo, 360 years after his indictment, of heretical support for Copernicus’s heliocentrism. The pontiff began his statement with the hope that “we will all be able to profit from the fruitfulness of a trustful dialogue between the Church and science.” Evolution, he said, is “an essential subject which deeply interests the Church.” He recognized that science and Scripture sometimes have “apparent contradictions,” but said that when this is the case, a “solution” must be found because “truth cannot contradict truth.” The Pope pointed to the Church’s coming to terms with Galileo’s discoveries concerning the nature of the solar system as an example of how science might inspire the Church to seek a new and “correct interpretation of the inspired word.”

When the pope came to the subject of the scientific merits of evolution, it soon became clear how much things had changed in the nearly since the Vatican last addressed the issue. John Paul said:

Today, almost half a century after publication of the encyclical, new knowledge has led to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than a hypothesis. It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.

Evolution, a doctrine that Pius XII only acknowledged as an unfortunate possibility, John Paul accepts forty-six years later “as an effectively proven fact.” (ROA, 82)
Not all Christians are whack jobs and it needs to be pointed out whack jobs are the minority.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am a Catholic Christian.

I see Jerry Coyne, an ecology and evolution professor. No doubt he has strong views on the so called "science" of global warming. You know, that is where the debate is all settled and they would never fix or lie about data.

What disturbs me most of late is what appears to be a war against Christians attacking them on issues such as evolution in order to attack views on moral issues.

The Vatican's View of Evolution: The Story of Two Popes

Not all Christians are whack jobs and it needs to be pointed out whack jobs are the minority.
From the athesit point of view all christian are whack jobs

Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
From the athesit point of view all christian are whack jobs
Coming from an athiest POV, you're full of crap. Most are decent people, it's just there's an unfortunate minority who think their beliefs should dictate every living being.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Do they have this problem in Europe and Canada? If they don't and the right wins in 2012, the twista household will be up for sale...
On that day I will celebrate.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
On that day I will celebrate.
Good and when America has turned into a theocracy of nothing but retards and the scared crapless, I'll be more than happy to give you the finger while living in comfort in a peaceful, sane, intelligent country.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
They are not your kids so butt out. Both are THEORY. My children are homeschooled and taught both. I believe in God but inform them this is something they will have to study and make their own decision what they will end up believing.
Exactly, as long as everything is theory both views should be presented..I happen to be one of those who believe there is a shade of truth to both sides, but certainly for anyone to think because a scientist said it, it must be true is pretty niave...

NIta

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Coming from an athiest POV, you're full of crap. Most are decent people, it's just there's an unfortunate minority who think their beliefs should dictate every living being.
I stand by my statement

Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Exactly, as long as everything is theory both views should be presented..I happen to be one of those who believe there is a shade of truth to both sides, but certainly for anyone to think because a scientist said it, it must be true is pretty niave...

NIta
the atheist does not want both sides taught. To many people could then decide. The do not want kids to decide they want only their beliefs taught

Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 AM

wjwet, you generalize people to cater to your views. I personally don't believe in any organized religion but I don't have a problem with Xtians practicing what they preach and upholding their sentiment of unconditional love. The ones that bring out the strong views of athiests are the types that feel everyone should be forced to live under their standards and their standards should be the law of the land. Read John Locke's essay on toleration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies