Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Has anyone ever wondered why those who demean the right of others to worship as they see fit only thrive in the United States? Wonder what would happen if they challenged the Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu, or other major religions with their evolutionary "facts"? Probably wouldn't be very pretty.

Why all the anger and angst over the subject contained in textbooks for HOMESCHOOLED CHILDREN? The left is all atwitter about peoples' right to do whatever they wish in their own homes,...gay lifestyles, using dope, etc.,..etc.,..., but get all bent out of shape over someone teaching their own children AS THEY WISH in THEIR OWN HOMES.

Childrens' minds are shaped by their parents whether they attend public school, private school, or are homeschooled,....not by textbooks.

Good grief,....get a grip!!!
Because Americans continue to fall behind the rest of the developed world in education. The United States is just about the only developed country where a significant percentage of its population has a problem with evolution.

Heck, I don't know why the hang up is on evolution alone. I don't know why there isn't an uproar over astronomy, cosmology, earth sciences, physics, chemistry. All these sciences that tell us the earth is old. If you believe in Creationism alone then you'd need to believe that the earth is young, otherwise humans would have been wiped out multiple times now by asteroids and comets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Theory is theory and fact is fact. One fact no one can get around is no one can say with certainty how life began and how every species got here for things that happened millions of years ago.
Just because there's not absolute 100% proof of something doesn't mean we should use the hocus-pocus "theory" of creationism and pretend that we all just magically appeared a few thousand years ago.

I'd love to be in a science class with you. I can just imagine the comments you'd make.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Theory is theory and fact is fact. One fact no one can get around is no one can say with certainty how life began and how every species got here for things that happened millions of years ago.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you over something that isn't debatable. Evolution has nothing to do with how life began. If you want to believe a god sowed the seeds of life, that's fine.

Fact is, like the theory and law of gravity, same goes for evolution. We may not know how gravity works, but if you jump up in the air you can bet you're coming back down.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I don't know why there isn't an uproar over astronomy, cosmology,
Please. Most Americans probably don't know the difference between astronomy and astrology - or for that matter, the difference between cosmology and cosmetology!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please. Most Americans probably don't know the difference between astronomy and astrology - or for that matter, the difference between cosmology and cosmetology!
True...but they don't have a clue about evolutionary biology either. You can tell when someone lacks any scientific background and understanding of evolution. They'll say something like "evolutionists" or that we evolved from apes.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Just because there's not absolute 100% proof of something doesn't mean we should use the hocus-pocus "theory" of creationism and pretend that we all just magically appeared a few thousand years ago.

I'd love to be in a science class with you. I can just imagine the comments you'd make.

Even with evolution life had to "magically" appear. Big bang or something. I am of the mind that unless it is 100% I will choose to believe what makes more sense to me as a theory. It could be a combination of both but we do not know.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
That's because evolution is complete b.s. we were created by god we didnt just appear out of no where like most would like to think.
OK I will be the one to point out the obvious lack of logic in your statement. Creationism would have you believe that in fact we did just appear out of nothing.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
The Associated Press: Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin, evolution

It's a shame that some parents think lying about science is good for their children.
There is no evidence that these people have evolved

Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Even with evolution life had to "magically" appear. Big bang or something. I am of the mind that unless it is 100% I will choose to believe what makes more sense to me as a theory.
It was probably something more like a one-in-several trillion chance chemical reaction that created some type of self-replicating protein strand not dissimilar to a prion few hundred million years ago and kept going from there.

Also, what created God? If this watch must have a watchmaker, then the watchmaker must have been made and who made the that as well?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
In that case, can we also agree that no one can say with certainty that homosexuality is not something that certain individuals are born with, same as you were with your heterosexuality - as opposed to a purely personal choice made to be "bad"?

Or do we only call "facts" those things that agree with your uber-religious mentality and "theory" all of the things that do not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies