Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times

Advertisements

Sounds like cronyism to me. Why would you use political discourse against competition?

Quote:
OSTERVILLE, Mass. — If the vast wind farm proposed for Nantucket Sound is ever built, William I. Koch will have a spectacular view of it.
Of course, that is the last thing he wants. Mr. Koch, a billionaire industrialist who made his fortune in fossil fuels and whose better-known brothers underwrite conservative political causes, has been fighting the wind farm, called Cape Wind, for more than a decade, donating about $5 million and leading an adversarial group against it. He believes that Cape Wind’s 130 industrial turbines would not only create what he calls “visual pollution” but also increase the cost of electricity for everyone.
Now, as if placing a bet on the outcome of the battle, Mr. Koch, 73, who has owned an exclusive summer compound here for years, has acquired an even grander one — Rachel Mellon’s 26-acre waterfront estate in the gated community of Oyster Harbors, for $19.5 million. He has also bought the nearby 12-plus-acre Dupont estate. All of this adds up to a prime perch over Nantucket Sound.
“I love the area,” Mr. Koch said in an e-mail. “The ability to acquire a special property where I can create a family compound for my children and extended family was and is very meaningful to me.” (His current home, in the same gated community, is on the market for $15 million.)
Koch Brother Wages 12-Year Fight Over Wind Farm - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
He's the main funder of the astro turf groups opposing the farm. Pretty gross.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
did you read what you posted:

"increase the cost of electricity for everyone."

That is a very conservative reason to oppose wind energy farms. It is certainly why I oppose them.

In other news, the Kennedy family has also long opposed Cape Wind because it will ruin their view. They have spent millions fighting it too. Yet they are the "green" family.

good grief.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
did you read what you posted:

"increase the cost of electricity for everyone."

That is a very conservative reason to oppose wind energy farms. It is certainly why I oppose them.

In other news, the Kennedy family has also long opposed Cape Wind because it will ruin their view. They have spent millions fighting it too. Yet they are the "green" family.

good grief.
Yes, wind is very expensive.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Nine-year wind farm fight splits Cape Cod - CNN.com

The project has also been opposed by two area indian tribes the late Ted Kennedy, RFK Jr. and many others.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Well DUH! They're right, it will cost more for electricity then from other wind sources, after all you have to amortize the cost of fighting the Koch brothers in court for a decade. Those lawyers arent free, and thats going to raise the cost of the electricity a lot!

Know what would be hilarious? If instead of wind farms they just put a nice nuke plant, or some normal coal powered generators in the exact same spot. I'd laugh and laugh.

Nuke plants are pretty safe though, and a more modern design or a pebble bed one would be great....but they're big and industrial looking. Probably ruin his view more. LOL. And thats all this is really about.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
I didn't know who William Koch was. It turns out that William Koch was embroiled in litigation for years with Charles and David, the two free-market activists.

Yet lefties act as if they are one big blob, all 3 acting with a single purpose. LOL. If this doesn't show that the obsession with the Koch bros is a case of magical thinking, I don't know what does.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I didn't know who William Koch was. It turns out that William Koch was embroiled in litigation for years with Charles and David, the two free-market activists.

Yet lefties act as if they are one big blob, all 3 acting with a single purpose. LOL. If this doesn't show that the obsession with the Koch bros is a case of magical thinking, I don't know what does.
Oh dear...the Koch grinches are worried about their view...

Keystone XL Pipeline Could Yield $100 Billion For Koch Brothers
Keystone XL Pipeline Could Yield $100 Billion For Koch Brothers

It’s Not Just Carbon Emissions: Keystone XL Would Have ‘Permanent Impacts’ On Wildlife, Interior Department Says
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...ildlife-parks/

...a fuel considered more environmentally damaging than conventional oil
Nebraska Celebrates Keystone Pipeline Delay

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-23-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
and very dirty too

the FACT that to build a wind turbine used more BTU's than it will ever generate

wind turbines are expensive, dirty, and kill wildlife

wind turbines only generate power 17% of the time. Did you tell everyone the good news? No, of course you didn't, so I'll tell everyone the good news. It takes 30 sq mi of wind turbines to produce 1 Million megawatts (that would be just enough to power 90,000 homes).

That's not a mistake. 30 square miles. A typical county is between 30-36 miles square.

wind is the worst
1. wind is not a constant, like solar is
2. the turbines create seismic rumbles that effect animal life (especially fish)
3. it kills birds
4. turbines are constantly have to be replaced, and have shreded areas when a malfunctions happens

wind energy costs more to produce than it gets

and wind turbines cause siesmic anomillies

wind turbines kill birds and fish

the ''wind' turbine,,,very dirty to make, and the magnetic field created by thm is dangerous

wind is a non-starter

at least solar has a slim chance....slim chance...solar: the panels are very dirty(to make), and only have a life span of 15-20 years, and the BATTERIES are(currently(they are improving though)) lead/acid batteries that need to be replaced every 7-10 years(very expensive)

if our liberal government was serious about 'renewable' energy, instead of spending nearly 3 trillion on bailing out FAILED companies, and an unstimulating stimulus bills, and failed 'jobs' bills..., they could have put a solar electric system on every single family house, thereby ELIMINATING the need for electric companies at the residental level( a 200-300 a month savings to everybody)....but the liberals dont care about solutions....all there care about is can they TAX IT

Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I didn't know who William Koch was.
Don't feel bad, neither did the OP.

There is Koch brother #4 as well....a playright and lifelong supporter of theatre and the arts in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies