Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Is it just simply talking on a cell phone in public at all that annoys people? Or is it just the loud talkers? I mean, are you annoyed by people having face-to-face conversations in public too? Serious question, I am not trying to be a smart-aleck.
I'm referring to the LOUD talkers. We went to a movie recently, and it was packed, no empty seats. There was a woman in front of us talking on her cell phone throughout the movie giving someone a blow-by-blow account of the movie. I didn't say anything, but someone must have complained, and the usher asked her to turn it off. She did for about 2 minutes, then started up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm referring to the LOUD talkers. We went to a movie recently, and it was packed, no empty seats. There was a woman in front of us talking on her cell phone throughout the movie giving someone a blow-by-blow account of the movie. I didn't say anything, but someone must have complained, and the usher asked her to turn it off. She did for about 2 minutes, then started up again.
Fair enough, and I can agree with getting annoyed about that. I would have likely complained to the management, had I been there I there. Thanks for answering.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
I don't think it's asking too much to expect a little common courtesy from others. If I fork out $15 bucks an hour for a babysitter, I don't want to go to a movie or a nice restaurant, and have to listen to someone talking on a phone. Are you suggesting people just suck it up? I think it's the people on the phone who are thinking the world revolves around them that they don't give any thought to where they having their conversation. Maybe it's just me?
In a theater? No, you shouldn't say anything to them, but neither should you just "suck it up." Inform management and let THEM handle it.

As for most everything else? Yes, we all should expect a little courtesy, but if we don't get it, we don't have the right, duty or obligation to be discourteous right back to them. That's infantile, self-centered and rude. In other words, when you do that, you become just as obnoxious and ill-mannered as the person in question (not to mention that you just might get your nose flattened).

Come on people! We all have to share this planet. Learn to get along with people you don't like. I guarantee it'll make YOUR life a lot easier and a lot less stressful.

Oh, and by the way....the fact that you spent $15 for a babysitter doesn't mean a whole lot to the rest of us, especially since we have no way of knowing your situation. Demanding that others behave themselves in your presence because you paid $15 for a babysitter would be like me demanding that you let me smoke at the next table because I spent $4 for my pack of cigarettes.

Tell ya what....I'll allow you that excuse for your rude behavior if you'll allow me mine for smoking. Deal?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
1) Cell phones If I was at a theater and it was an ongoing conversation or constantly ringing, I'd go find a manager and demand a refund. Chances are, I'd get a gift card for my time and the guy would be asked to leave. When I'm somewhere that someone's cell phone usage is loud and obnoxious, I usually start commenting on their conversation. Loudly and to anyone around me. I'm a pretty witty person. Most times, they'll either hang up and give me a dirty look or just move away and give me a dirty look. Once a woman turned to me and said, "Do you MIND?" I said, "Not at all. Keep going. I'm DYING to hear more. By the way, have you ever heard of the book "He's just not that into you"? She called me a female dog, but not in so many words and walked away. Now, I was 37 at the time and in the company of one of my childhood friends. I yelled back at this young 20-something, "I know you are but what am I", then my friend and I, along with everyone else in line, dissolved in hysterical giggles. Classic!

2) Flush. It's a public health concern and yucky besides.

3) Sneezing - yes, it's rude. Offer them a kleenex. If you have a child with you that has been taught correctly, they will usually say something to humiliate the other person without you prompting them. Nothing worse than a 3 year old telling you to cover your sneeze.

4) Smoking - if you're in a smoking area or even an area that smoking is allowed in, then move or suck it up. If you're in a non-smoking area, you have every right to ask them to move to a different area. But smokers have fewer options now. Be grateful they aren't lighting up in areas designated "non-smoking".

"I am, there is none but me" seems to be the mantra of so many today. Guess what folks? It's NOT all about you. And acting as if is seems to be becoming more and more socially acceptable. The last society to take up that mantra were the Babylonians... and where are they NOW?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
1)

"I am, there is none but me" seems to be the mantra of so many today. Guess what folks? It's NOT all about you. And acting as if is seems to be becoming more and more socially acceptable. The last society to take up that mantra were the Babylonians... and where are they NOW?

The liberal application of this word of advice from the Bible would go a long way toward settling a lot of what divides and irritates us on a personal level:

Phl 2:3 [Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, and by the way....the fact that you spent $15 for a babysitter doesn't mean a whole lot to the rest of us, especially since we have no way of knowing your situation. Demanding that others behave themselves in your presence because you paid $15 for a babysitter would be like me demanding that you let me smoke at the next table because I spent $4 for my pack of cigarettes.

Tell ya what....I'll allow you that excuse for your rude behavior if you'll allow me mine for smoking. Deal?
So let me see if I understand what you are saying here. If I go to the movie theater, or any theater, or go to a nice restaurant, then it is reasonable for some other guest to intrude on my experience and I should be fine with that?

By the way, I never said anything about getting in people's faces about there behaviour. I wouldn't like it, but I would tolerate it as I do believe in live and let live, unless they are sneezing all over me. As for smoking, if I am in an area where smoking is permitted, people may smoke to their hearts content as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure what rude behavior you are referring to by the way.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Did you throw popcorn at her? I'm pretty sure that's accepted theater etiquette.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceece View Post
did you throw popcorn at her? I'm pretty sure that's accepted theater etiquette.
Or the old coke-spill.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:20 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Some might consider me abrupt or having no manners in the following situations:

What would you do?

If someone was talking loudly on their cell phone in the line at the Post Office or in a movie theater, would you let them talk or would you say something to them?
I have NO problem telling them to "take it outside". Would you do something similar?

The other day when I was in a restroom, the guy in the stall told me to flush the urinal. "Why?, I asked. He responded that it was "publically acceptable". I have lived in several areas with drought like conditions and now believe, "If it's yellow, let it mellow, If it's brown, flush it down." That is why I don't flush the urinal. He felt otherwise. Is it wrong not to flush the urinal to conserve water?

When someone sneezes in a public place WITHOUT covering their mouth, I tell them to please cover their mouth when they sneeze. Is it wrong for me to do so? What would you do?
I see it as meeting yourself in another person. Did you at least shake his hand? If you have NO problem telling someone something, then you should have NO problem having the same done to you.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I see it as meeting yourself in another person. Did you at least shake his hand? If you have NO problem telling someone something, then you should have NO problem having the same done to you.
funny, I

funny, I thought the same thing. I don't see how not flushing the urinal affected him though. He told me that he didn't want to smell my ****. I'm not aware that **** smell travels like that. when I have commented to ppl in the past about their sneezing or talking on cellphone, I can honestly say that they were direct annoyances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies