Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

Some might consider me abrupt or having no manners in the following situations:

What would you do?

If someone was talking loudly on their cell phone in the line at the Post Office or in a movie theater, would you let them talk or would you say something to them?
I have NO problem telling them to "take it outside". Would you do something similar?

The other day when I was in a restroom, the guy in the stall told me to flush the urinal. "Why?, I asked. He responded that it was "publically acceptable". I have lived in several areas with drought like conditions and now believe, "If it's yellow, let it mellow, If it's brown, flush it down." That is why I don't flush the urinal. He felt otherwise. Is it wrong not to flush the urinal to conserve water?

When someone sneezes in a public place WITHOUT covering their mouth, I tell them to please cover their mouth when they sneeze. Is it wrong for me to do so? What would you do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Cell phone talkers; I give them "looks" and then I just pretend to be enjoying their convo. Sometimes that makes people uncomfortable enough to hang up.

Public toilets; FLUSH. You can save water at your own house but nobody want's to look at your pee.

Sneezing; I usually just step away.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
If a person is talking too loudly on their phone, I act as if I am listening in - laugh when they laugh, frown when they frown, etc. They speak softer and turn away every time.

Flush the urinal because the guy coming in after you is going to flush before he pees, then flush after.

You should tell someone to cover up when they sneeze if they don't. Too bad you can't tell them before they sneeze.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Some might consider me abrupt or having no manners in the following situations:

What would you do?

If someone was talking loudly on their cell phone in the line at the Post Office or in a movie theater, would you let them talk or would you say something to them?
I have NO problem telling them to "take it outside". Would you do something similar?

The other day when I was in a restroom, the guy in the stall told me to flush the urinal. "Why?, I asked. He responded that it was "publically acceptable". I have lived in several areas with drought like conditions and now believe, "If it's yellow, let it mellow, If it's brown, flush it down." That is why I don't flush the urinal. He felt otherwise. Is it wrong not to flush the urinal to conserve water?

When someone sneezes in a public place WITHOUT covering their mouth, I tell them to please cover their mouth when they sneeze. Is it wrong for me to do so? What would you do?
Sounds like a busy-body to me.

What difference would it make if someone was having a conversation with the person next to them or on a cellphone?

Leaving urine in the bowl is rude. We have plenty of water - washing down what you put in is not going to break the bank.

I could just see it - Someone sneezing 20 yards away and you go over to scold them. Unless they're sneezing ON YOU, it's really none of your concern.

We'd have a go of it, you and I.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sounds like a busy-body to me.

What difference would it make if someone was having a conversation with the person next to them or on a cellphone?

Leaving urine in the bowl is rude. We have plenty of water - washing down what you put in is not going to break the bank.

I could just see it - Someone sneezing 20 yards away and you go over to scold them. Unless they're sneezing ON YOU, it's really none of your concern.

We'd have a go of it, you and I.
since you're pretty much the antithesis of me, I suppose that I am doing the right things.

sanrene, Loud cellphone conversations have no place in a theater (the message even appears on the screen before the movie). I don't want to hear loud conversations in a Post office line either.

as for sneezing in public, it is a public health concern that ppl should cover their mouths when sneezing lest others get sick from their germs which are carried in their mucus particles, which can in fact travel further than you might think.

I don't know where you live, but some places do NOT have plenty of water. Here in San Antonio, we hadn't had sufficient rain for close to 2 years until 6 mos ago. But I get the message that public flushing is more acceptable.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
since you're pretty much the antithesis of me, I suppose that I am doing the right things.

sanrene, Loud cellphone conversations have no place in a theater (the message even appears on the screen before the movie). I don't want to hear loud conversations in a Post office line either.

as for sneezing in public, it is a public health concern that ppl should cover their mouths when sneezing lest others get sick from their germs which are carried in their mucus particles, which can in fact travel further than you might think.
Theater, I agree. Post office line, store, etc...none of your business. As I said, what's the difference between talking on a cellphone or talking with someone else in line? No difference....and if you can't stand to hear such conversations, stay out of lines.

Like I said, unless they are sneezing ON YOU, its not your business.

I had a lady in line behind me once, she coughed right into my hair, I turned around and gave her the what for, however, if I saw that same lady do it to another person, I would not run over and tell her how rude she is.

Busy bodies are very annoying.

My husband was in a restaurant recently, he got a call on his cell, wasn't yelling or shouting, just talking.

Lady at the next table, supposedly celebrating her birthday pestered him endlessly.......until the owner of the restaurant came over and asked her to leave. My husband continued his conversation right through her ranting.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:

The other day when I was in a restroom, the guy in the stall told me to flush the urinal. "Why?, I asked. He responded that it was "publically acceptable".
It wasn't Larry Craig by any chance?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If a person is talking too loudly on their phone, I act as if I am listening in - laugh when they laugh, frown when they frown, etc. They speak softer and turn away every time.

Flush the urinal because the guy coming in after you is going to flush before he pees, then flush after.

You should tell someone to cover up when they sneeze if they don't. Too bad you can't tell them before they sneeze.

We should not have to tell people these things. Common decency and having good sense. The bathroom thing bothers me, i always flush, but yes there are many who do not, i will not use that stall. I also hate it when there is toilet paper all over the bathroom stall, on the floor, just have common sesne.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We should not have to tell people these things. Common decency and having good sense. The bathroom thing bothers me, i always flush, but yes there are many who do not, i will not use that stall. I also hate it when there is toilet paper all over the bathroom stall, on the floor, just have common sesne.

Men typically don't use the toilet for peeing. If I did, I would flush that in a public place. To me. the urinal is less of an issue since our bodies never touch it. Many urinals don't even flush out all of the pee and leave half of it there. But I suppose due to your responses that I will give in to flushing unless we have another drought

Because it should be "common decency" to cover your mouth in a public place when sneezing, that is why I speak up and say something. I have usually been the person in the room or roganization to speak up when I see something that is wrong. I just attribute my behavior to my outspoken nature.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Men typically don't use the toilet for peeing. If I did, I would flush that in a public place. To me. the urinal is less of an issue since our bodies never touch it. Many urinals don't even flush out all of the pee and leave half of it there. But I suppose due to your responses that I will give in to flushing unless we have another drought

Because it should be "common decency" to cover your mouth in a public place when sneezing, that is why I speak up and say something. I have usually been the person in the room or roganization to speak up when I see something that is wrong. I just attribute my behavior to my outspoken nature.

I also have your outspoken nature, i don't seem to have a problem, also, telling it as it is. The sneezing thing, that bugs the hek out of me also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies