U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 PM

5,369 posts, read 4,987,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
yet you think the right to kill your own children is more important than animal welfare

Nope, they are better used as slave labor and cannon fodder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:16 PM

544 posts, read 997,753 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how many rats, rabbits, dogs, cats, etc that pharma companies kill per year for the drugs you use?

They are not hear for sick twisted people to experiment on. I would have expected more action from liberals, yet there's not much. And this is one of the few issues I would be considered "liberal" on.. You know that pet dog you have? well, if you have a beagle, they are used by pharma companies to test ocular medicine, then are killed, and eyes removed to test effectiveness of the drug.

Yet you think killing your own children is more important.
you know what I never understood? How people can get so upset over someone kicking a dog but have no problem eating a steak. Guess cows aren't as valuable as dogs.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,865,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
you know what I never understood? How people can get so upset over someone kicking a dog but have no problem eating a steak. Guess cows aren't as valuable as dogs.

I agree. how long did Michael Vick go to jail for for dogfighting, when laboratories kill far, far, far, more dogs than he ever did? Because libs love turning blind eyes to things.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:26 PM

7,544 posts, read 7,787,300 times
Quote:
Eating animals raised for human consumption doesn't justify physically abusing a dog. Two wrongs don't make a right, and one doesn't justify the other.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,248,736 times
Quote:
I hope you one day experience the pain and misery these animals have suffered.
Betamanlet, since this issue is so dear to you, please tell us what products you have in your bathroom. And under your sink. And in your laundry room. Maybe some of us will look into those brands you use and recommend (which are obviously not tested on animals, or else why would you start this thread) and maybe we'll use them.

Using brands that haven't been tested on animals does take a considerable degree of research which many people (on all shades of the political spectrum) do not do. If this is an important issue to you (I feel it is), please share some of your research on brands that have not been tested on animals.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 19,077,535 times
Quote:
ME ME ME I I I ME ME ME THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME

WHa'ts it' like being a child in an adult's b ody? ME ME ME!!!!!!

You're losing it.

I'd offer you some Prozac or Valium, but it was probably tested on animals. :-)

Last edited by stillkit; 03-07-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 05:52 PM

17,886 posts, read 24,268,752 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how many rats, rabbits, dogs, cats, etc that pharma companies kill per year for the drugs you use?

They are not hear for sick twisted people to experiment on. I would have expected more action from liberals, yet there's not much. And this is one of the few issues I would be considered "liberal" on.. You know that pet dog you have? well, if you have a beagle, they are used by pharma companies to test ocular medicine, then are killed, and eyes removed to test effectiveness of the drug.

Yet you think killing your own children is more important.
Having a mother who was saved from late stage cancer by procedures and drugs developed with the use of animal testing, I have to say, I'm not bothered by animal testing. We have laws on ensuring it's done as humanely as possible and I expect them to be fully enforced. Animal testing has given us many advancements in medicine. Do you propose humans be substituted for rats so instead humans die if a drug is not quite perfected/etc.?

But you're not concerned about animal welfare. You're discussing the idea of animal rights. The notion that animals are equal and have the same rights as people. I don't subscribe to that theory.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Eating food isn't the same as animal abuse. Every animal eats another living thing, and often in a more painful way than humans use.

I can assure you, if you were caught kicking a cow around, you'd get in trouble for animal cruelty the same as if you kicked a dog around.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Companies that abuse and torture animals don't post signs indicating what they do. It's a hush hush kind of thing because they know most people--regardless of ideology--would be utterly appalled at how we treat animals. I believe all of this so called "research" is completely unnecessary. Natural products wouldn't require testing, but then, we've divorced ourselves from nature many centuries ago. Besides, where would the profit be if we all knew that dandelions cured cancer or that cars could run on water? The easiest ways for good health and natural living won't be promoted until we abandon the profit to be had in doing the wrong thing. But go tell that to the elite capitalists who run things...
It takes testing to determine the effectiveness and safety of natural products too. Being a pretty experienced woodsman and knowing a fair amount about herbal medicine and the plants of my region, I can tell you: we have a lot of highly toxic plants. Some of them actually are useful for medicine but you really have to know how to properly use them and without testing them (due to natural variances in strength), they can be deadly. In some cases it's best to extract the useful item from the plant and bring it to a known purity for safety purposes. Some of the deadliest poisons can be made with natural ingredients found in the wild...

Should we do our testing solely on humans, including the highly risky early testing stages?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 PM

5,369 posts, read 4,987,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Should we do our testing solely on humans, including the highly risky early testing stages?

Children would be a good starting point.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies