Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Olberman's a little too far out for my taste. Seems like the type who's desperate for attention. As for the tea partiers, I don't think their underlying premise is racism, but I do think there are a lot of racist types at their rallies. Nobody in their right mind takes them serious though, so who cares?

Twista,

We have finally come to common ground!

I have hope, not all are brainwashed, completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Not only Harry Reid, many more Democrats.

I like this quote from a registered democrat the best.

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Obama, to sell watermelons.

I don't care who you are, that there is funny!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Not necessarily. Of course we don't know the intent of the person who made the poster but as it relates to the health care debate it seems fitting regardless of the race of the president. If it was a Bush witch doctor or a Hillary witch doctor it wouldn't be an issue....you can't impose Obama's race on EVERYTHING and call it racist. Besides, witch doctors come from all sorts of places, Africa, Asia, India, Native Americans...even Hawaii where Obama was born.

This weekend Dan Rather said the president couldn't sell watermelons(mumble, mumble, mumble).....
I bet you can guess what the natural end of that comment is....couldn't sell watermelons to black folks. I don't see any other interpretation to the comment. It is racist no matter if Obama is black or white.

I'm not a tea party member, and I saw posters referencing Bush and Clinton as well so it's not all aimed at Obama....but he is the current man in charge of the government and if one is protesting government policies and practices I'd expect Obama to be one focus of those protests.
Also note that those pictures were taken to make a point, they may or may not be representative of the entire movement. You know there are fringe elements in every movement.
I think you're deflecting and minimizing the strong undercurrent of racism that permeates the tea party rallies. It's not just one or two random shots that paint an erroneous picture of the tea party's vision. It's much more pervasive than that, and I think most people see that very clearly unless they're delusional or being purposefully obtuse!

Here's an excellent example:

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The first post I quoted is a perfect example to prove my point. The RWs will defend to the death their own racist remarks, pictures, etc.
My conservative beliefs align me with a lot of the right wingers. Please search every post I have made here and look for racist remarks. Go ahead and look for any insulting remarks or name calling. You will find none.

I don't see the racism in those pictures. Then again, I'm not always looking for it. I care nothing about the color of someone's skin, I am interested in their character and actions only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I think you're deflecting and minimizing the strong undercurrent of racism that permeates the tea party rallies. It's not just one or two random shots that paint an erroneous picture of the tea party's vision. It's much more pervasive than that, and I think most people see that very clearly unless they're delusional or being purposefully obtuse!

Here's an excellent example:

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism
How many TEA Party rallies have you been to? The ones I have attended have been free of any sign of racial bias. As I've stated earlier, Angela McGlowan has been repeatedly invited back to speak because of the positive response from the attendees.

The You Tube video is just a re-hash of the same pictures that have already been linked to. Yes, there are a few racist signs. I addressed a few in earlier postings. Other signs questioning the nationality of Obama. That isn't racist. Other signs questioning his religion. Not racist. Other signs questioning his sexual orientation. Not racist.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Sorry, I had to LOL at this one! Last night, I posted on another thread that was excoriating Dan Rather:

The first post I quoted is a perfect example to prove my point. The RWs will defend to the death their own racist remarks, pictures, etc.
Well, you are wrong about me. Dan Rather's remark was racist and wrong and I wouldn't defend it if it had come from a conservative or republican.
Some mayor somewhere sent out a mailing (maybe an e-mail) with a big watermelon patch in front of the Whitehouse. I don't know that mayor's political affiliation but the picture is offensive I don't see any context outside of racism. I call it like I see it regardless of party. And I'm not defending the witch doctor photo....I'm saying if it relates to that person's view on health care then it makes sense outside of a racist context. I don't know the person's motives so I'm not going to label them a racist without further context. Pictures of the president as a monkey (the Obama sock monkey comes to mind), as Hitler, using the N word, the references to slavery etc....all are offensive to me. However, I'm not going to label the entire tea party movement as racist based on those photos....there are extreme people in any movement...as evidenced by Dan Rather's racist comment. Want to bunch all liberals or all media personalities in with Dan Rather?

How about the political cartoons we saw of Condi Rice? They looked very similar to one of the posters featuring Obama with big lips and other stereotypical features. There was hardly a buzz about those cartoons or the Uncle Tom references made towards Condi and Collin Powell. I didn't see anyone on the left calling out those things....or the pics of Bush as Hitler, kissing the Saudi King etc. How about the continuous use of the term teabaggers? That's as offensive to me as the poster with Obama kissing Saudi 'Jewels' (although the poster tries to disguise their true meaning with the ring but we all know what is meant).

Last edited by NCyank; 03-09-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Perfect sign for the liberal media-

Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
My conservative beliefs align me with a lot of the right wingers. Please search every post I have made here and look for racist remarks. Go ahead and look for any insulting remarks or name calling. You will find none.

I don't see the racism in those pictures. Then again, I'm not always looking for it. I care nothing about the color of someone's skin, I am interested in their character and actions only.

How many TEA Party rallies have you been to? The ones I have attended have been free of any sign of racial bias. As I've stated earlier, Angela McGlowan has been repeatedly invited back to speak because of the positive response from the attendees.

The You Tube video is just a re-hash of the same pictures that have already been linked to. Yes, there are a few racist signs. I addressed a few in earlier postings. Other signs questioning the nationality of Obama. That isn't racist. Other signs questioning his religion. Not racist. Other signs questioning his sexual orientation. Not racist.
OK, to be fair, I should have said, "some RWs". However, I have been told by the powers that be that it is perfectly OK to say "all liberals", or just "liberals" think. . . .

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...p-attacks.html

That said, I see plenty of racism in calling someone, anyone, a "Homie", a witchdoctor, etc.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
OK, to be fair, I should have said, "some RWs". However, I have been told by the powers that be that it is perfectly OK to say "all liberals", or just "liberals" think. . . .

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...p-attacks.html

That said, I see plenty of racism in calling someone, anyone, a "Homie", a witchdoctor, etc.
I agree with you about Homie, white folks certainly can't say that...but when, before that picture, has a reference to a witch doctor been racist?

I can't find any references to 'witch doctor' being a racial slur outside of the context of that exact poster.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I agree with you about Homie, white folks certainly can't say that...but when, before that picture, has a reference to a witch doctor been racist?

I can't find any references to 'witch doctor' being a racial slur outside of the context of that exact poster.
It's always been something for whites to laugh at; this African culture that uses such people. It goes along with shrunken heads, etc.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM

So can you find another reference that says it's racist...other than it's a reference to something African? That by itself isn't enough to say it's racist, only that it refers to a race. I'm coming up empty looking for anything more substantial.

Witch doctors references appear in nearly every culture and race on the planet....my grandmother even took me to a gypsy witch doctor as an infant because of a birthmark. It's hardly only an African thing although that picture may depict a witch doctor from Africa.

And shrunken heads are racist now too? That practice was mostly found in South America and isn't a typical reference to African culture. So is it racist against Blacks or South Americans?

It's hard to keep up with all the made up PC these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies