Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

"How many residents in the household on April 10 (or whatever the date they use). 2

That's it. That's all they are getting.

I then seal it up and send it back. I will not, under any circumstance, answer the other nine (9) questions.

The Census Bureau says the form takes "ONLY" ten (10) minutes to fill out. I say that the form only takes ONE minute to fiill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I agree ravneinspain, baseless paranoia. It is important to know how many people live here and their ages, gender for obvious reasons.
Regardless of the case to which you can make concerning its importance to know those additional aspects, they are not vested powers within the containment of the process to which this is established. That is, the powers they contain are for a specific purpose not relevant to the additions you mention.

By ignoring such limitations of power and then enforcing their additions through fines, they have abused the powers delegated to them.

The point is not that it may be "useful" or that it may do "good", but that it ignores the conditions of their power. You should be concerned about this key point as if the limitations of their power are not considered in this small case, what is to say that in a larger issue it will be considered as well? And where is the line drawn with such? At what point is it ok to ignore these limits of power and at what point is it not? See the problem with leaving this to the whim of those in power? They then effectively decide when and when not to adhere to their oaths and no doubt, this will vary from representative to representative and be contingent on the "good intentions" they promote in doing such. It is a dangerous display of power.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"How many residents in the household on April 10 (or whatever the date they use). 2

That's it. That's all they are getting.

I then seal it up and send it back. I will not, under any circumstance, answer the other nine (9) questions.

The Census Bureau says the form takes "ONLY" ten (10) minutes to fill out. I say that the form only takes ONE minute to fiill out.
You'll probably be the first one to complain if there's not enough nursinghome beds in your area for your grandparents or if there's not enough space in the schools when your kids attend. Projecting communities needs like these is one of the main benefits we get out of the census forms correctly filled out. You're only shooting yourself in the foot and wasting tax payer money if you only put down the number of people who live at your house and nothing else.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You'll probably be the first one to complain if there's not enough nursinghome beds in your area for your grandparents or if there's not enough space in the schools when your kids attend. Projecting communities needs like these is one of the main benefits we get out of the census forms correctly filled out. You're only shooting yourself in the foot and wasting tax payer money if you only put down the number of people who live at your house and nothing else.
How so? Can you explain how race determines funding established? Can you explain how determining the relationship of those within the household will change the number of representatives established, the space in schools, the number of nursing home beds?

Please, make your case because I am extremely interested.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
BS. Think about it, if they needed census inormation for this stuff then how would know how many beds in nursing homes and space in schools are needed in the ten years between censuses?

This argument would be better put as "Be a good little subject and fill out your form completely and maybe the federal government will throw your community some scraps". Of course the scraps come from the money that they have already extorted from you. Assuming you pay taxes that is.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I answered the question they needed to make such determinations.

Also, I have no school age children at home. Also, I have no grandparents alive.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
If you don't fill it out and send it back it will cost the tax payers more money because each form not returned has to be followed up by a live person.
In my case, the Census Bureau followup will be to the post office. I have no mailing address for my home - my mail only goes too a POB (which gets checked about once a week.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Wrong Questions!

Just finished my household census. I'm an over-educated white guy. Question: why the immediate, specific initial question about Hispanic ancestry, versus all other ancestries?

Then, why didn't they ask about education levels, approx. income, job position, etc., to get a better handle in the demographics of legal residents of this country? And how do they distinguish and toss out information on illegals here? After all ,the form I received is addressed to "resident of blah blah blah street". Why have illegal population demographics skew the distribution of Federal funds and aid?

I don't get it, but I have some sneaking suspicions here now.

I think we've been duped, my fellow citizens!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
on race it actually said "black, african-american, or negro". Umm, aren't they all the same thing? For Asian, why did they list so many versions of Asian but only one catagory for white? Perhaps I should have checked "other" and listed French/Indian (native American). What about white: English, Scottish, Irish, French, Italian, German, etc.? No, whites aren't important in the census. Only other races and cultures are important. All it should have said is "Are you a legal American citizen, yes or no". If yes, continue to next question. If no, stop and mail form back.
I noticed that too, i guess white skinned people are all the same, but Asian and Hispanic need detailed geographical descriptions.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
It's required by law, so it says. Why should I give the government all my information so they can use it to control over look what every does.
I feel my freedom is violated.
If you don't fill out a census form, a census worker will come to your door. If you don't answer your door, aren't you a little worried that a census worker with an agenda might fill out the form for you?

Fill out the form you get in the mail. It does more than determine your representation. It's used to determine how much money schools and hospitals get, how much police and fire are needed. It's used by businesses to determine where to locate their stores/businesses. It's used by universities in the research they do. It's used by advertisers to determine where to place their advertising resources. It's analyzed and presented by Internet websites to help individuals find the places to where they want to move. It's used by City-Data on their state, town/city pages. Census data is used by a lot of people who match it with their own outside data to make decisions. Your name is actually the least relevant piece of data collected, in my opinion. It's only when census data is matched with other data does it tell the user of the data something about the people (not the individuals) for example, who live in the US, in State Y or in Zip Code Z to make it useful to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies