Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 AM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times

Advertisements

Isn't that touching...why are all the angry white guys getting more angry about being asked if they are white anyway? What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
No what you're reading in my post is the anger at favoritism being given to one ethnic group over all others. If they want to learn English then can do so without Federal money like so many other immigrants have done before them. There's more access to technology and language programs than ever before in the history of this country and some immigrant use these to their advantage without asking for handouts from the federal government. But I guess we're suppose to feel sorry for the poor latino immigrant who can't help themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Right. So let's not do it better for newer groups. Spanish speakers are the largest group currently coming in. If it was Germans, you can bet we'd put programs in place to deal with it. Just because we didn't in 1910 doesn't mean we shouldn't now. Not to mention, there were dozens of ethnicities coming in back then. Maybe we should just start riding around in buggies again too. Take away the vote from women maybe. Like it or not, none of those other ethnicities ever approached the size of Hispanics in America today. Just the LEGAL Mexicans alone coming dwarfs all others.

Anyway, I suppose Nixon was a politically correct idiot for letting it happen under his watch. Probably a closet commie too.

What I seem to be hearing is that some of you are against "Americanizing" (integrating) these folks. Why on earth would you not want them to integrate? At least somewhat? You don't want them to become productive citizens? These programs help them do just that. Is the issue that you don't want them here in the first place?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Isn't that touching...why are all the angry white guys getting more angry about being asked if they are white anyway? What's the deal?
Um....your condescending, elitist post kinda makes my point; why is anyone's skin color relevant, ever? Unless of course one wants to politicize it..........

P.S. I'm not angry, just disgusted that MLK's dream is being kept down by so-called "progressives" such as yourself.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:09 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Yeah and you will be the first one to come on CD and use the latest demographic statistics to make some bogus racial point.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I thought it was kinda confusing. Many of the "races" listed are actually nationalities. So I figured that "White" must mean White Russian or Belorussian.
Then there was "Black" and I remember hearing that my grandfather was Black Irish, so I must be black, you know, from Black Ireland.

The census stressed that Hispanic is not a race. But it didn't give a clear definition of what it is. As far as I could tell "Hispanic" means something to do with Spain or Portugal somehow. Texas was part of New Spain and Mexico, so I must be Hispanic also.

So there you go, I am Black/Hispanic, as far as the census is concerned.

"I thought it was kinda confusing. Many of the "races" listed are actually nationalities. So I figured that "White" must mean White Russian or Belorussian. Then there was "Black" and I remember hearing that my grandfather was Black Irish, so I must be black, you know, from Black Ireland."

Weird, for some reason I am suddenly craving a black russian or a shot of Bushmill's Black or maybe even Old Grand Dad. Not sure why.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"I thought it was kinda confusing. Many of the "races" listed are actually nationalities. So I figured that "White" must mean White Russian or Belorussian. Then there was "Black" and I remember hearing that my grandfather was Black Irish, so I must be black, you know, from Black Ireland."

Weird, for some reason I am suddenly craving a black russian or a shot of Bushmill's Black or maybe even Old Grand Dad. Not sure why.
Does that mean I'm a white-frenchman and I have to eat snails and drink wine. No thanks on the snails but if you provide the $100+ bottle of french wine and some black truffles I'll be happy to share.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I encourage everyone to do the same. The fact that 40 years after MLK's "dream speech" the fact that something as insignificant and arbitrary as the color of ones skin is so important to the left makes me shake my head in disgust. Skin is merely clothes for the soul; we are all humans.
Why Responding to the Census is Important

Your Voice in Washington: Population totals from Census 2010 will determine the number of seats each state holds in the US House of Representatives. Under this process, known as "apportionment," the number of seats in the House of Representatives has grown from 106 after the 1790 census, to 435 today. Through apportionment, states that grow in population may gain seats, while states with lowering populations may lose seats. By law, The U.S. Census Bureau must submit state population totals from Census 2010 to the President of the United States by December 31, 2010.

Your Money: Cutting right to the chase, over $400 billion in federal funding is distributed to communities each year based to a large extent on the results of the US census. Besides affecting the total federal funding received by your community, data collected in the census is used by local governments to determine exactly how that money will be used.

Where the Jobs Go: Census data are used by the private sector as well as state and local governments to determine where new jobs and job development programs are needed.

Community Facilities and Services: Want a new hospital in your neighborhood? How about a new school, fire station or public library? Community planners and leaders use census data to decide where such essential facilities are most needed.

Consumers: Corporations large and small use census data for market research to determine the locations for new commercial enterprises, such as grocery stores, pharmacies and other essential services. Potential homebuyers use census data to research property values, median income and other demographic information about a particular community or neighborhood.

Census 2010 – About Census 2010 and Why Census 2010 is Important to You

Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
You might prefer to look at it this way.

"Finally, those most disaffected with the national discourse on race need to realize that data gathered by the census are their best weapon in arguing against policies they find objectionable. If, for example, minority advocates downplay racial progress, census data will help make the case against them. To be sure, those advocates will also rely on the data to make a case."

Why Census Is Right to Ask for Racial and Ethnic Data - Brookings Institution

"....Racial and ethnic data from the census allow each of us, individually or as members of groups or organizations, to make self-interested or partisan arguments. This is not always a pretty sight. But, over time, census data used in this way allow us to assess racial progress—or lack of it. The alternatives to the collection of racial and ethnic data by the census are ignorance, malice, paranoia, opportunism and prejudice, of which there is already an abundance across the political spectrum."

Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 AM

302 posts, read 580,326 times
The census is supposed to be a count of each household... not a count of ethnic diversity. This is just more of the same, government taking liberties with our LIBERTY. It is important to know "how many", but when we delve into "what kind" government is over-reaching. When your children take too much you tell them no.... it is time to do the same with the government.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 AM

146 posts, read 112,457 times
the census is only furthering Chuck D's dream of a "black planet"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies