Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Most people would probably consider me a liberal, or perhaps a progressive, although I would probably (and begrudgingly) admit that age has made me a bit more conservative in regard to some issues (e.g., gun control, death penalty). In the past, I have had many a contentious exchange with conservatives - not surprising, considering the often polarized nature of various viewpoints.

While some of these discussions have been heated, by and large, they have stayed on topic. For the most part, I do not remember any name-calling or anyone making low-class personal jabs. I will say that I am aware of a certain recency bias nor did I keep a written record. Thus, I can not make a definitive assessment but must simply voice my impressions.

I have also repeatedly read complaints from conservatives that a frequent liberal approach to dealing with opposing opinions is to resort to personal attacks. For the most part, I considered these complaints mere exaggeration or thought that such tactics are fair game since I assumed that both "sides" engaged in this activity. I am sure I have done my share of it as well but when I have done this to conservatives, I don't think I ever received a personal insult in return.

That said, I can wholeheartedly proclaim to conservatives that I feel your annoyance with some liberals. I have been able to post a few responses over the last few weeks that quickly elicited the very personal and emotional attacks that you complain about.

Not only were these attacks completely unwarranted, but they were overly rude, tried to attack my emotions, and were aimed at insulting me. Sweeping negative judgements were passed about my person, my mental well-being, my reasoning abilities, my right to live, my professional capabilities, my right to procreate, etc. This is in stark contrast to attacks on an opinion, perception, or interpretation of events. In short, the responses posted by these "liberals" were absolutely despicable.
I hope you weren't surprised by this. There's nothing open-minded or tolerant about liberals. The term is so poorly used in this context, as it historically refers to people who are anti-authoritarian yet everything that liberals support involves more and more government control of our lives. If you think liberals are compassionate, look up the comments of an old article about President Bush (41) being in the hospital or any prominent conservative passing away.

You have to realize that it's the mob mentality/group think mindset that gives liberal politicians the ability to win elections. Books have been written about this, including one by Anne Coulter (Demonic?) and another by Ben Shapiro (Bullied). The way liberals win is to stifle debate and smear their opponents. Their policies have failed in Europe, South America, the Soviet Union and in deep blue states including Obama's own IL. Big government is what ruined California.

Liberals tow the party line. When deficits were bad (but not insane) under GWB, it was a huge problem. Now that deficits are disastrous under Obama, not a peep. If you approach policy analytically, I don't see how you can be a liberal so it's all based on emotion and demonization of one's opponents. It's not so much that they want to demonize their opponents but they really want to destroy and silence them so that the truth about their liberal policies doesn't see the light of day.

Liberals supposedly care for the poor, but the poorest urban areas have been run (into the ground) for liberals for decades. It's all lies; it frustrates me that anyone would buy this snake oil. Look how they treat members of their supposedly favored groups (African Americans, Hispanics, women, etc) who are conservative (Allen West, Ted Cruz, Michele Bachmann, etc.). There's nothing open-minded, tolerant or compassionate about liberals. If you truly understand this and the fact that they'll stop at nothing to advance their agenda, none of their actions will surprise you. They're very predictable.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:

Where would you take this discussion after such a comment? Nowhere. You've been labeled and are now expected (and usually tempted) to defend yourself. And that's where the "discussion" ends.

What a sad commentary on interpersonal skills and decency.
That is the intent of the person who threw the insult. First it most likely made them feel better about themselves and you are right I could fall for the bait and take my mind off the subject being debated or stop discussing the subject.

Last edited by petch751; 03-24-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
I agree with the OP, I have been attacked personally and called names because of my beliefs on this site multiple times. I always call the poster out for their posts and tell them to respond to the content of my post instead of their intellectually dishonest attack, 4 out of 5 times they never respond.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I see a noticeable dropoff in this. I'm thankful for that. I don't have any illusions that the liberals have suddenly gotten any more ethical, however. But I'm glad of it because it makes interesting debate more doable when what you say is responded to instead of just getting an ad hominem attack in response.

While it does happen on both sides, I do think it is ingrained on the left. I think it is just a natural outgrowth of identity politics. The left doesn't win elections based on their ideas, they win elections based on Republicans being racist, sexist, warmongering, haters of the poor.
You left out 'and pandering to incredibly stupid people who fall for what they spew'.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Women were told to vote with their lady parts, that was an embarrassment to women and if you are a republican woman liberals called you were stupid.

http://c498390.r90.cf2.rackcdn.com/w...ia-500x281.jpg

http://sandrarose.com/images16/obama-ecard.jpg?42e305

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM

They even attack blacks who don't go along with them. It has been going on even before Obama

http://macsmind.com/wordpress/wp-con...auntjemima.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Most people would probably consider me a liberal, or perhaps a progressive, although I would probably (and begrudgingly) admit that age has made me a bit more conservative in regard to some issues (e.g., gun control, death penalty). In the past, I have had many a contentious exchange with conservatives - not surprising, considering the often polarized nature of various viewpoints.

While some of these discussions have been heated, by and large, they have stayed on topic. For the most part, I do not remember any name-calling or anyone making low-class personal jabs. I will say that I am aware of a certain recency bias nor did I keep a written record. Thus, I can not make a definitive assessment but must simply voice my impressions.

I have also repeatedly read complaints from conservatives that a frequent liberal approach to dealing with opposing opinions is to resort to personal attacks. For the most part, I considered these complaints mere exaggeration or thought that such tactics are fair game since I assumed that both "sides" engaged in this activity. I am sure I have done my share of it as well but when I have done this to conservatives, I don't think I ever received a personal insult in return.

That said, I can wholeheartedly proclaim to conservatives that I feel your annoyance with some liberals. I have been able to post a few responses over the last few weeks that quickly elicited the very personal and emotional attacks that you complain about.

Not only were these attacks completely unwarranted, but they were overly rude, tried to attack my emotions, and were aimed at insulting me. Sweeping negative judgements were passed about my person, my mental well-being, my reasoning abilities, my right to live, my professional capabilities, my right to procreate, etc. This is in stark contrast to attacks on an opinion, perception, or interpretation of events. In short, the responses posted by these "liberals" were absolutely despicable.
Happens a lot around here, which suggests the majority of mods are liberals and don't care unless it's something that hits home with them personally.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
While it does happen on both sides, I do think it is ingrained on the left. I think it is just a natural outgrowth of identity politics. The left doesn't win elections based on their ideas, they win elections based on Republicans being racist, sexist, warmongering, haters of the poor.
Exhibit A.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I hope you weren't surprised by this. There's nothing open-minded or tolerant about liberals. The term is so poorly used in this context, as it historically refers to people who are anti-authoritarian yet everything that liberals support involves more and more government control of our lives. If you think liberals are compassionate, look up the comments of an old article about President Bush (41) being in the hospital or any prominent conservative passing away.

You have to realize that it's the mob mentality/group think mindset that gives liberal politicians the ability to win elections. Books have been written about this, including one by Anne Coulter (Demonic?) and another by Ben Shapiro (Bullied). The way liberals win is to stifle debate and smear their opponents. Their policies have failed in Europe, South America, the Soviet Union and in deep blue states including Obama's own IL. Big government is what ruined California.

Liberals tow the party line. When deficits were bad (but not insane) under GWB, it was a huge problem. Now that deficits are disastrous under Obama, not a peep. If you approach policy analytically, I don't see how you can be a liberal so it's all based on emotion and demonization of one's opponents. It's not so much that they want to demonize their opponents but they really want to destroy and silence them so that the truth about their liberal policies doesn't see the light of day.

Liberals supposedly care for the poor, but the poorest urban areas have been run (into the ground) for liberals for decades. It's all lies; it frustrates me that anyone would buy this snake oil. Look how they treat members of their supposedly favored groups (African Americans, Hispanics, women, etc) who are conservative (Allen West, Ted Cruz, Michele Bachmann, etc.). There's nothing open-minded, tolerant or compassionate about liberals. If you truly understand this and the fact that they'll stop at nothing to advance their agenda, none of their actions will surprise you. They're very predictable.
Expertly put and spot on.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I have not been here long and most of my time is spent in the Chicago and suburbs forums but I have never attacked any poster on here personally even though some people post some pretty stupid crap on here. Some people just take an attack on their views or ideas as an attack on them personally.
Oh pleeeze. Some topics are worse than others, take the birther threads, chemtrails, or any conservative that threatens the libs, the Christians are constantly made fun of, it's cruel and childish. The attacks come mostly in one liners. Personal attacks and bullying are a routine method to shut the opposition up. Libs don't like us questioning authority or mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.