Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Hi I would like to start this thread because I am tried [I think you meant "tired"] of the misconception that liberals are very progressive people. Liberals are only progressive when it suits their needs. If you do not share the same view as a liberal they will try to silience you.
I'm new to this thread's party, so I apologize if someone said this already. The OP started a thread with an assertion. Is that assertion true? If so, what is the evidence? Give examples, discuss.

In addition, intolerant is not the opposite of progressive. The opposite of progressive is regressive, or going back to an earlier time.

Personally, I think that liberals are indeed progressive -- wanting to move forward, such as with human rights renewable energy and climate change. The conservatives are regressive, wanting to think that the world will go back to the time when women were not in the workforce; gays were in the closet, etc. and focus on drill-drill-drill as the energy solution.

The OP is also implying hypocrisy {"Liberals are only progressive when it suits their needs"}. I don't see this hypocrisy. While conservatives say they are for states rights, we see examples, like the Terry Schiavo case, where they were all to eager to use federal muscle to deny state jurisdiction in a ruling they didn't like. Conservatives say they are for fiscal responsibility but increase deficits when in power; When Bush was in power, conservatives argues the merits of torture -- something 1950s conservatives said only the communists did.

I see no similar hypocrisy on the liberal side.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Of course I have. That's why this thread is about PERSONAL attacks - on individual posters and not some cohort.

Like this: Are you so dumb that you cannot wrap your measly little head around the simple premise of this thread even though I have stated it over and over? Gosh, I hope you never have kids - idiocy begets more idiocy.

See how that is different? One is a generic and generalized insult, the other is very personal - it strikes at YOU.
So generalized insults are OK, like "liberals have no morals?" (A common one here on CD.) And believe me, there are plenty of personal attacks thrown out here, too. It's two sided, for sure. There is one conservative poster who is constantly making personal attacks, posting dumb emoticons, etc and it just keeps on.

I will add, I rarely see anyone say "I hope *it* (whatever the topic under discussion is) happens to you!" I do see, mostly from cons, I will add, "Karma is a b*tch" isn't it, and the like, when someone posts some ill that has befallen them or someone close to them. One time I used my daughter as an example during a discussion of the bad economy, and she was excoriated to the point that I decided "never again".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-25-2013 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
That's President Obama to you!
That's Lame Duck to me..... Such a Ship of Fools the USA has become..

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
He/She took offense to me reporting my experience with liberal posters instead of making it a generic thread that includes ALL posters.

Had my experience be with, say, libertarians, I would have used that label in the title.

Unfortunately, my experiences were with my own cohort: Liberals.
LOL, well you sure did set off the rabid so called liberals.... These are the kind that are as far from being liberal is it gets. Gestapo Liberals Eh?

This is the insantiy part. These quasi libs do the same thing over and over, and each time expect different results.

That is insanity......

There is a big difference between a real liberal and these hate mongers who demand tolerance to just turn and demand 0 Tolerance... You are finding out.......

I have decided to no longer deal or bother with them..... That proved an act of insanity I didn't need.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Diverse opinions? can't have that in my Facebook/twitter feed.

Study: Liberals more likely to block social-media friends over political differences
According to a new poll from the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, self-described liberals are twice as likely than self-described conservatives to block material on Social Networking websites that they find politically disagreeable.

"Liberals are the most likely to have taken … steps to block, unfriend, or hide" disagreeable political messages, Pew concluded. "In all, 28% of liberals have blocked, unfriended, or hidden someone on SNS [social networking sites] because of one of these reasons, compared with 16% of conservatives and 14% of moderates."
Yep, I do that all the time. If a "friend" says I'm gonna burn in hell because I don't have Jebus as my savior, or that the president hates white men because he's black, or that gay marriage is gonna bring on world destruction, or any other conservative hate speech, it's my right to ... not listen. So what?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well SOMETIMES they are kind enough to refer to liberals as being "mentally ill".
Or that liberalism is "brain disease."

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
My experience was with other liberals, not with generic posters, and not with conservatives. Thus, the title of the thread and the use of "liberals."

Alas, of course nobody on this forum can create a thread without pursuing ulterior motives, right?
I wouldn't say "nobody" can create a thread without ulterior motives; however, I would say it is perfectly clear when someone does do that.

So if you are going to attack ALL liberals with a thread title such as "Despicable Liberals," what do you expect in response? Yet you say you didn't want to start a "**** ing match." Surely you could have thought of a less inflammatory thread title if you honestly just want to attack the "liberals" you felt attacked you personally. Inflammatory thread titles and posts are enormously obvious to everyone who posts here. Apparently you do think we are all really, really stupid and you can easily manipulate us (based on reading your defense of this thread).

Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Of course I have. That's why this thread is about PERSONAL attacks - on individual posters and not some cohort.

Like this: Are you so dumb that you cannot wrap your measly little head around the simple premise of this thread even though I have stated it over and over? Gosh, I hope you never have kids - idiocy begets more idiocy.

See how that is different? One is a generic and generalized insult, the other is very personal - it strikes at YOU.
Yet your thread title is a great big "generic and generalized insult" to ALL LIBERALS. You could have chosen the thread title "Some liberals are despicable".....rather than start off by insulting every liberal.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I wouldn't say "nobody" can create a thread without ulterior motives; however, I would say it is perfectly clear when someone does do that.

So if you are going to attack ALL liberals with a thread title such as "Despicable Liberals," what do you expect in response? Yet you say you didn't want to start a "**** ing match." Surely you could have thought of a less inflammatory thread title if you honestly just want to attack the "liberals" you felt attacked you personally. Inflammatory thread titles and posts are enormously obvious to everyone who posts here. Apparently you do think we are all really, really stupid and you can easily manipulate us (based on reading your defense of this thread).
Agreed. And really, the OP should report the personal attacks if s/he feels they are that egregious.

Quote:

No, I do not see how it is *that* different to call liberalS despicable, or immoral, or lazy, or takers, or any other such slur, than it is to call an individual liberal by that same name. It's referring to me, either way.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
As all that may be, you guys certainly make a lovely wolf pack.

I must admit that I have never felt as much sympathy for conservatives as I have after these responses (and, of course, the posts that caused me to create this thread to begin with). And I sure as heck would have never thought that I would say that.

So, carry on my liberal "friends" - keep embracing utter polarization, keep refusing to look in the mirror, keep insulting those you disagree with, keep getting angry when faced with your own short-comings, and deny, deflect, distract whenever possible. Conservatives seem to throw these observations at us any chance they get - I had no idea that they were really on to something.

And you, conservatives: I am sure some of you have had a good giggle reading this thread and seeing some liberals happily taking on one of their own, denying that he can be real, claiming that he is facetious, and desperately hoping to point the finger at your camp in order to distract from their own behavior.

I hope you remember this thread the next time we get into it with each other. I promise, I will try really hard to abstain from the behavior exhibited by my fellow liberals - but please know that the temptation can be great, particularly if much of your cohort already engages in it.

Begrudgingly, I must admit that you strike me as much more mature in your argumentation, even though I rarely agree with your viewpoints.

For me, this thread has been greatly enlightening. So, thank you all. Human behavior is amazing.
Oh, please. You attack ALL LIBERALS in a very generic and generalized manner (to use your own words), then you compare all liberals to conservatives and say we come up short because of your experience with a few individual liberals, and then expect everyone to "see" your objectivity???

Btw, is this the first time you've ever noticed that human behavior is contradictory and "amazing"? Certainly you have not reached your point in life without ever previously noticing that fact.

You can say you're a liberal as much as you like to try to give more credibility to your thread; however, I find it very interesting that you insult and inflame ALL LIBERALS with your thread title and expect that liberals will not defend themselves. IMO, liberals defending themselves was the motivation for your thread title choice "Despicable Liberals"

From reading other threads, it seems to me that you got angry with ONE poster, and in retaliation started this thread. In that thread you did your share of personal attacks and insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies