Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM

150 posts, read 87,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Dudet/Dude, I related a similar experience. Now, you're trying to nick pick. You're going from what kids do to what adults do. Miles and miles apart.

You, very obviously, are not a parent.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life forms on this planet.
Yes, I'm clearly not intelligent, even though you're the one who refuses to substantively engage with any arguments that I'm making, or either of the studies I cited.

If you read my post I pointed out that the study was on 6-9 year olds. Do you have anything to say about that? Do you have anything to say about the fact that black-white relations in the U.S. are far different than white-Vietnamese relations? The comments on skin lightening cream and hair straightening are simply pointing out that it's indicative of a larger trend in race relations in the U.S.

Finally, the assertion that I'm not a parent is true, and obviously that invalidates everything I'm saying. Be sure to tell that to my 7 year old step-sister who wants to get her hair straightened because white children tease her for her curly hair that I'm full of B.S. Maybe you simply shouldn't speak about matters you're ignorant on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What's funny is that it will offend some people because black barbie isn't worth as much and offend others if they don't reduce the price because black barbie wouldn't be affordable enough.
My first thought.

Their cost should be equal.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
When an item is not selling it gets a reduced price.

Talk about blowing something out of proportion.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Yes, I'm clearly not intelligent, even though you're the one who refuses to substantively engage with any arguments that I'm making, or either of the studies I cited.

If you read my post I pointed out that the study was on 6-9 year olds. Do you have anything to say about that? Do you have anything to say about the fact that black-white relations in the U.S. are far different than white-Vietnamese relations? The comments on skin lightening cream and hair straightening are simply pointing out that it's indicative of a larger trend in race relations in the U.S.

Finally, the assertion that I'm not a parent is true, and obviously that invalidates everything I'm saying. Be sure to tell that to my 7 year old step-sister who wants to get her hair straightened because white children tease her for her curly hair that I'm full of B.S. Maybe you simply shouldn't speak about matters you're ignorant on.

And it's clear you have something against white people.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,505 times
I am going to only mention one name, Oprah Winfrey. Anybody knows the list would be very, very long.

Does somebody want to attempt to convince me that this huge list of powerful, influential women have been influenced by the beauty of being white?

Horse manure!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post

And black people STILL tease me that I sunburn easily. Boo-hoo. I'll never get over it.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Yes, hating racism is the same thing as hating white people. This is absolutely false, and I won't bother trying to refute it. Do you care to make a comment on the studies I am mentioning or do you want to keep attempting to psychoanalyze me?

Quote:
I am going to only mention one name, Oprah Winfrey. Anybody knows the list would be very, very long.

Does somebody want to attempt to convince me that this huge list of powerful, influential women have been influenced by the beauty of being white?

Horse manure!
Oprah Winfrey triumphs over adversity, and that proves what, other than the fact that she is an incredible person? You cited the single wealthiest black person in the entire country in order to suggest that my assertion that black children often consider their skin color a detriment is false?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I don't think he or she has something against white people.

I think it is time the old stereotypes both good and bad are challenged, stereotypes that clearly date back to times when white people dominated every aspect of America. I guess Disney took a step in the right direction when they chose a colored princess. Actually it is not only an American problem, here in Europe we have the same problem. The prototypical princess is still expected to be blond, which is odd in view of the fact that even among white people blondes are the minority. When watching Portuguese TV programs one sees so many blond people, be it real blond or dyed, but when you walk on the streets, there are basically no blonde people.

Maybe it would have been better to create something entirely new instead of creating a black variant of a white doll. In my opinion the black Barbie made people think that it was only the response to the civil rights movement etc. rather than a new attitude and conviction among toy manufacturers and eventually society as a whole.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
And black people STILL tease me that I sunburn easily. Boo-hoo. I'll never get over it.
Haha, yes, this is what I'll tell her. "Stop crying and get over it, you little baby". Black people mocking individuals about their skin color is OK, is what you're saying? Because I would disagree.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Please, since I am so stupid and racist, explain how I should interpret this:

Quote:
The Clark Doll Experiment (1939) was an experiment done by Dr Kenneth Clark and his wife Mamie where they asked black children to choose between a black doll and a white doll. The dolls were the same except for their skin colour but most thought the white doll was nicer.

In 1954 in Brown v Board of Education the experiment helped to persuade the American Supreme Court that “separate but equal” schools for blacks and whites were anything but equal in practice and therefore against the law. It was the beginning of the end of Jim Crow.

In the experiment Clark showed black children between the ages of six and nine two dolls, one white and one black, and then asked these questions in this order:

“Show me the doll that you like best or that you’d like to play with,”
“Show me the doll that is the ‘nice’ doll,”
“Show me the doll that looks ‘bad’,”
“Give me the doll that looks like a white child,”
“Give me the doll that looks like a coloured child,”
“Give me the doll that looks like a Negro child,”
“Give me the doll that looks like you.”
“Negro” and “coloured” were both common words for blacks before the 1960s.

The last question was the worst since by that point most black children had picked the black doll as the bad one. In 1950 44% said the white doll looked like them! In past tests, however, many children would refuse to pick either doll or just start crying and run away.

In one study Clark gave the test to 300 children in different parts of the country. He found that black children who went to segregated schools, those separated by race, were more likely to pick the white doll as the nice one.

In the test that he did that became part of Brown v Board he asked 16 black children in 1950 in Clarendon County, South Carolina. Of these 63% said the white doll was the nice one, the one they wanted to play with.

Clark also asked children to colour a picture of themselves. Most chose a shade of brown markedly lighter than themselves.

In 2005 Kiri Davis repeated the experiment in Harlem as part of her short but excellent film, “A Girl Like Me”. She asked 21 children and 71% told her that the white doll was the nice one. Not a huge sample size, true, but it was still shocking to see how easily many chose the white doll.

In 2009 after Obama became president, “Good Morning America” on ABC did the test. They asked 19 black children from Norfolk, Virginia. It is hard to compare their numbers because they allowed “both” and “neither” as an answer. They also asked the last question first, making it far easier to answer: 88% said the black doll looked most like them.

ABC added a question too: “Which doll is pretty?” The boys said both, but 47% of the black girls said the white doll was the pretty one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies