Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This has nothing to do with race, nothing to do with minority little girls prefering white barbie over black barbie, but everything to do with the selection which is why Matell faught so hard to put the kabosh on Bratz in 2008.
It had everything to do with the founders of Bratz coming up with the idea while at Matell and then leaving the company and trying to take it with them.

The Bratz guys closing arguments wasn't that they didn't steal the idea but rather an argument over how much they should have to pay mattel.

It had nothing to do with the Bratz being ethnic dolls, they'd have done the same thing if someone had developed the next hit board game while there and then made billions off of it after taking it with them.

Mattel awarded $100 million in Bratz lawsuit - U.S. business- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

150 posts, read 87,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I believe I used the word "simple", yes.

After you become a parent, young lady, you'll see what I mean. Until then, you're just groping in the dark looking for something that's not there.
You are dodging almost all of my points and falling back to "I'm a parent, you're not, I'm right," without giving any real explanation. Kenneth and Mamie Clark were parents. Do you have anything to say about their study? Why did the Supreme Court feel that their evidence was worthwhile?

Here is part of the opinion of the Supreme Court on Brown v. Board, written by Chief Justice Earl Warren, also a parent:

Quote:
To separate [minority children] from others of similar age and qualification solely because of their race generates a feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that many affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone
Do you deny that discrimination and teasing based on race can create similar effects? I have no doubt you'll try to dodge this and appeal to personal experience again and again, but hopefully others can see that I'm not the one making things up and failing to provide a historical basis for my opinions.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Why would anyone complain about a product being cheaper?
If mostly black people would buy black Barbies then they are lucky to get a bargain on this. What's the big deal?
I can see it now....Mom and daughter shopping for a Barbie but being so offended at the price of the black barbie that they DEMAND to pay the higher price to be equal with the white barbie.

Also, it looks like a great opportunity to pick up some inexpensive Barbies to drop in the Toys4Tots bin this Christmas. Some little girl will appreciate it, I'm sure!!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
What's funny is that the second half of your statement is pretty much made up nonsense. No one would complain if white barbie and black barbie were the same.
Correct. People first look to see if there is any difference whatsoever and then rather than try to figure out the reason for the difference (Bratz dolls are being bought instead of black barbie) they immediately attribute the problem to racism. Sometimes they are right but most the time they look like fools.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It had everything to do with the founders of Bratz coming up with the idea while at Matell and then leaving the company and trying to take it with them.

The Bratz guys closing arguments wasn't that they didn't steal the idea but rather an argument over how much they should have to pay mattel.

It had nothing to do with the Bratz being ethnic dolls, they'd have done the same thing if someone had developed the next hit board game while there and then made billions off of it after taking it with them.

Mattel awarded $100 million in Bratz lawsuit - U.S. business- msnbc.com

When I stated selection, I did not mean to imply that it was primarily because the dolls were ethnic, although that did play a part in it. You are correct, they would have done the same thing if it was the board game, however in this particular instance they no longer supplied what ALL little girls demanded in a doll.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Default Justice, Now!!!

Well, I don't think you people have been through enough sensitivity-training seminars! Otherwise, you'd know that while a white person would pass by a display of 50%-off color-appropriate Barbie Dolls, and think "Hot DAMN! I gotta buy....like...ALL of these!", someone who is not a White Demon will see those bargain dolls and instantly hear screaming, bullwhips cracking, see tall white mansions for the white folks, little shacks for everybody else (Southern Man, when you gonna pay them back?), and feel the full weight of three thousand years of persecution in AmeriKKKa!

It doesn't matter that few, including people who weren't White Demons, wanted those 'Theresa' dolls, and that's why they were marked down. After all the trouble that REAL (non-white) Americans went to, first building the entire United States of America, up from nothing, with no help from anybody, then inventing...well...EVERYTHING...even patiently explaining to the white man how to use the Peanut...how to make Chocolate Covered Peanuts, and other important discoveries, like the Buttermilk Pancake, without which the progress of humanity would have ground to a standstill... After thousands of years of suffering under the whip of the White Demon in Amerikkka, with not one cent of public assistance, Affirmative Action hires, special parallel standards in colleges...Food Stamps....NOTHING from the White Demons but persecution...after enduring all that....how DARE the White Demons disrespect REAL Americans by marking down some dolls, just because they "weren't selling well"!!!!!

Well, I'll have you know that so-called "scientific inventory control" is but one more invalid social construct, concocted by the white man, to keep others down. And this episode, which shall henceforth be known as "The Theresa Doll Massacre" is proof-positive!

Therefore, I hereby demand that a special DOLL CZAR be appointed, with extra-Constitutional powers, to ensure that no further ethnic cleansing of dolls ever take place in these United States of America, again! Further, I demand that the words "NEVER AGAIN" be copyrighted, and proceeds from their licensed use shall be dedicated to an as-yet-to-be-specified cause, their ultimate use exempt from "right-to-know" laws.

Initially, one trillion dollars (trillion is the new billion) must be dedicated to the establishment of a Bureau of Dolls, to supplement the activities of the Doll Czar. The Bureau shall conduct its own Doll Census: participation being mandatory for all US households. Households found to have a higher percentage of White Demon Dolls than recommended in scientifically-established guidelines, shall be deemed antisocial, and shall have all household members assigned to reeducation camps.

One billion dollars shall be allocated to the establishment of a committee, whose purpose will be to enumerate the Theresa Dolls who were on that shelf, that fateful day of The Markdown. Once the final number has been agreed-upon, the affected dolls shall become known as "THE MARKDOWN TWELVE" (or somesuch), and shall receive full diversity-martyrdom treatment, including a national holiday in their honor, and at least one chapter in each history book for grades 4-12.

As for the retailer, whose so-called "inventory control" protocols created the climate of repression which resulted in the ethnic cleansing of the innocent dolls, I demand immediate NATIONALIZATION!! The nationalized megabilliondollar conglomerate, I demand be placed in a special conservatorship, directed by a disinterested third-party, such as myself, who shall have unlimited powers as to the disposition and dispersal of all assets, and who shall, as were the Wallstreet Bankers who received trillions of dollars of Stimulus monies, be required to report to no one.

I demand justice!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

113 posts, read 245,312 times
Doll Czar, Doll Czar, No justice no peace!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Has anyone give thought that perhaps black parents and kids simply rejected a breast augmented and damn near anorexic piece of plastic posing as a inanimate fashion icon regardless of its outer coloring?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Supply and demand. Obviously the black barbies weren't selling. Reduce price to move inventory.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
When I stated selection, I did not mean to imply that it was primarily because the dolls were ethnic, although that did play a part in it. You are correct, they would have done the same thing if it was the board game, however in this particular instance they no longer supplied what ALL little girls demanded in a doll.
Well yes I agree, had the Bratz dolls been a flop and the business venture failed then Mattell would have not bothered suing them. As part of the settlement the Bratz doll is still made so to me I think it's just ALL about the money and Mattell knows their black barbie is just not going to sell regardless of Bratz or not.

Good discussion, the Bratz doll situation highlights why black barbies are on the discount rack at wallmart. It might be that the return of the Bratz dolls to production in 2009 are WHY that store had over-ordered black barbies....Bratz returned and re-asserted their market share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies