Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
and yet, my point still stands,a nd I don't have to make a personal attack like you do.

Men also aren't as flexible as most women are. DO you have another insult for me?

Was Watt male or female?

Was Edison Male or female

Was Bell male or female?

Was Daimler male or female?

Was Whittle male or female?

was Parsons male or female?

These are all EARTH shattering inventions that impact your ways in so many ways that I cannot even begin to describe.
There is nothing to argue. Women can invent, innovate and learn. That is fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You are absolutely correct. Yet, the prevailing attitude in this country is that all children would be better off if mommy stayed home with her children while they were young. Most of the family values crowd would argue that all women should be at home raising their children, which, in theory, sounds really good but in actual practice really puts women far behind the 8 ball when it comes to career/salary advancement and retirment benefits/savings. Many Americans - especially some on this forum - advocate for self-sufficiency for all and would be in favor of eliminating many social programs that particularly benefit women who sacrificed their productive years by staying at home with their children. I guess the question is how much this country actually values the contributions of the stay at home moms. Posts like yours suggest that staying home to raise children should be a punishable offense.
I'm just saying to be realistic. You hear women saying they want it all, but you can't have it all. YOu either have to choose one or the other, or a compromise in the middle. And you certainly cannot expect 3rd grade teachers to make as much as the CEO of General Electric does.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I'm just saying to be realistic. You hear women saying they want it all, but you can't have it all. YOu either have to choose one or the other, or a compromise in the middle. And you certainly cannot expect 3rd grade teachers to make as much as the CEO of General Electric does.

I'm pretty sure most people with brains understand.

Who exactly said a third grade teacher should make the same as the GE CEO? But you know, the GE CEO could be a woman

Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Let's ignore every other "gap" like health expenditures, life expectancy, college %, and focus on pay gap and related ideas. Basically what it all boils down to is women wanting to have children, have work accomodate them, but then expect to be on the same track towards CEO as the man who worked full time the entire time.

Is that rational?
I agree with you. It's about choices. You can choose a career or raise a family. But to expect special treatment because you leave the workforce to raise your child is not fair. That goes for men and women.

I'm not anti-children. I think raising children is the most important job a person can perform. But I also resent having to cater to coworkers that work half as much as I do, take chunks of time off, and expect the same pay and benefits as I get. You want a career, great. Pay your dues. You want a child, great. Make sacrifices. And I'm not talking about parents that do the work and raise a child. I'm talking about the special treatment.

But this society wants their cake and eat it too, at someone else's expense. Because they're special.....

Flame suit on.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I would like to know just who is suggesting any special treatment, besides the OP of course.

Is there a particular case or lawsuit or something we should be discussing? It just seems like it's baseless ranting so far.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would like to know just who is suggesting any special treatment, besides the OP of course.

Is there a particular case or lawsuit or something we should be discussing? It just seems like it's baseless ranting so far.
Okay, let's assume that women get paid less than men. How do you propose to "fix" it?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
and yet, my point still stands,a nd I don't have to make a personal attack like you do.

Men also aren't as flexible as most women are. DO you have another insult for me?

Was Watt male or female?

Was Edison Male or female

Was Bell male or female?

Was Daimler male or female?

Was Whittle male or female?

was Parsons male or female?

These are all EARTH shattering inventions that impact your ways in so many ways that I cannot even begin to describe.
Give me a freakin' break. Men, through virtue of their biology, have pretty much ruled the first 2000 years of earth's history. That they have been inventors and innovators is no big deal - the deck has always been stacked in their favor.

Quote:
Throughout history, and now into the 21st century, famous women inventors have played a vital role in the world of innovation. In fact, women have become increasingly prevalent in the field and are responsible for such momentous advances as windshield wipers, disposable diapers, the first computer language and the Mars Rover.

Ignoring the gender stereotypes and discriminatory barriers that stood at every turn, these female inventors displayed an iron will and unwavering perseverance. Famous Women Inventors and its sponsor, InventHelp, are pleased to present an introduction to a handful of the many females whose ingenuity helped to shape the world as we know it over the last couple of centuries. Select an inventor from the list at the left to read more about her life and the inventions she created. Famous Women Inventors
There are many websites like the one above that list/describe contributions of women throughout history. Contributions that are truly remarkable when one considers that women did not achieve the right to freely and openly contribute until the latter half of the 20th century.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
You keep making the ridiculous allegation that women everywhere are clamoring to be CEOs. Please provide a link to substantiate this allegation.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You keep making the ridiculous allegation that women everywhere are clamoring to be CEOs. Please provide a link to substantiate this allegation.

Why Are There So Few Female CEOs In Top-Performing Companies?
Women CEOs: Why So Few? - The Conversation - Harvard Business Review
Women Ceos Pay More Is Less - Daily Brief - Portfolio.com

Rules on minimum gender representation on company boards come into force

Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Okay, let's assume that women get paid less than men. How do you propose to "fix" it?
"assume"????

Have you ignored the many links posted here to lawsuits won after wage discrimination was clearly proven???

There are procedures in place right now to deal with it. As a "lawyer", you should have access to all sorts of research tools that would show you how.

Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
US EEOC Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies